Home

Traditional muzzleloader questions

Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 10:17 PM

I'm looking into getting a traditional style muzzle loader, prefer a hawken but at this point availability is limited on everything. It would mainly be used on whitetails but with some luck hopefully elk occasionally. I got a few questions and appreciate input.

1. .50 or .54 cal? I originally wanted .54 but having trouble finding one.
2. Brand, investarms, lyman pederolsi, other? Was hoping to stay under $1,000 but would rather buy once cry once.
3. Where to find one? Track of the wolf is sold out of almost all complete guns, everyone seems out of pederolsi but I think I can find lyman and investarms on Dixie gun works

Thanks for replies.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 10:29 PM

I have a Thompson center Renegade in .54 cal and just love it. I shoot patch and roundball. I've never shot over 80 yards but it is deadly accurate at that range and under.

Don't forget when you buy one to find out what the barrel twist is. If you like to shoot certain projectiles the twist makes a difference in what shoots better out of it
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 10:43 PM

Flint or percussion cap? .50 or .54 cal will work fine once you work up a load and practice enough to build up your confidence. I would rather have a well placed shot with a smaller caliber than a poor shot with a cannon.
Posted By: Osagian

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 10:47 PM

.50 or .54 cal?
I say .54 but for deer under 100yrds shooting round ball it won't make much difference. I've got both barrels for my TC Hawken and I'd as soon hunt with either one of them.
For them same setup(the same rifle in either .50 or .54), the .54 will be a 1/2lb or so lighter then the .50 and will hit a little harder.
Thompson Center is down, the best thing out there IMO is the Lyman Hawken in caplock.
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 10:53 PM

.54 caliber pedersoli Rocky Mountain hawkin with maple wood
Beautiful good gun.
Their website will show dealers.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 10:54 PM

Welcome to the world of traditional muzzleloaders.

If elk is in the guns future, I would strongly suggest the 54, especially if shooting patched round ball. Example is CO, I believe they have a 54 minimum for patched ball. 50s have to be a conical (REAL, mini, etc).

Older Lymans are great guns, if you can find a used one in good condition. Their Great Plains rifle is a decent replica of a plains rifle, similar to a Hawken. They are now made my Pedersoli, and from the reviews I have read, the quality has suffered. Pedersolis are okay guns, they'll get the job done, but the older Lyman plains rifle was exceptional.

Flint or cap is a great question. Commercial caplocks are decent to excellent. Commercial flintlocks are generally poor to serviceable. Good flintlocks cost good money and are often found only on "custom" guns. Look for Siler, L&R, RE Davis or Chambers names.

Twist is very important in determining projectile. A 1:48 barrel is a decent compromise for patched ball and conical. Slower is better for ball, faster for conical.

Feel free to PM any time, I'll talk traditional muzzleloaders all day.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 11:01 PM

Get a flintah...you get to aim twice...lol...

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

Now Ness, don't mess with the new guy.

Watch my squirrel rifle video to see how a good flintlock works.

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 11:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm open to flint or cap but if it's flint it needs to be higher end not a cheaper one.

I like the idea of a .54 but they are so difficult to find

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 11:09 PM

To be historically accurate, a flintlock Hawken would be full stock, a halfstock would be a caplock rifle.

A good flintlock Hawken replica will be in the 1500 to 1800 range.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 11:22 PM

If you're going to buy an entry level traditional muzzleloader... I recommend percussion. A well built and tuned lock is the heart of a flintlock and the lower end stuff usually doesn't cut it... You'll find good examples that work fine. But it's a roll of the dice.

The Investarms Hawken from Dixie is probably as suitable as any... And it's in stock.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8562/category/316/category_chain/312,313,316/product_name/PR0507+DIXIE+HAWKEN+RIFLE%2C+.54+CALIBER+PERCUSSION+BY+INVESTARMS

I personally recommend real black powder. But if you're going to use a sub, I would choose 777 over Pyrodex.

Locating caps may be your biggest challenge.

Mike

Edit: Tried twice to get the link to work. OP may have to copy and paste
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 11:24 PM

I may have available an unfired Thompson Center .50 caliber percussion rifle. It was my Dad’s rifle and brother has it. PM if interested and I will ask brother.

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
I may have available an unfired Thompson Center .50 caliber percussion rifle. It was my Dad’s rifle and brother has it. PM if interested and I will ask brother.

Thanks, I really would prefer the .54 I think but I'll keep it in mind and appreciate it.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8562/category/316/category_chain/312,313,316/product_name/PR0507+DIXIE+HAWKEN+RIFLE%2C+.54+CALIBER+PERCUSSION+BY+INVESTARMS

That's the gun Mike recommended and actually one I was considering, would love to keep gathering info though.

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 11:32 PM

Sent you a PM
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/10/22 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood

Thanks, I really would prefer the .54 I think but I'll keep it in mind and appreciate it.

That's the gun Mike recommended and actually one I was considering, would love to keep gathering info though.

I had both , 54 and 50. Hawkens Thompsons , and at a 100 yards , both are acurate , but the 50 is the most acurate .
Get yourself molds for the round ball and the mini .
Make sure you get pure lead , as tin/lead mix makes for a harder bullet.
It is hard to load after even just one shot.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/11/22 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by k snow
Originally Posted by Nessmuck

Now Ness, don't mess with the new guy.

Watch my squirrel rifle video to see how a good flintlock works.

Oh yeah..! ...I can hold my flintahs upsidedown...pull the trigger and they go off just like a percussion gun
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/11/22 04:23 AM

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/956193008
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Traditional muzzleloader questions - 11/11/22 09:37 AM

If 15-18,
I shoulda bought more of these.

Will trade for contender.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums