Home

Old machine shop

Posted By: il.trapper

Old machine shop - 11/12/22 02:03 AM

I would like to work in this mans shop for a few days. Using the older machines would be great.

Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 03:04 AM

That is quite the set up!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 03:16 AM

That brings back memories of my younger years working in the machine shop of a small ship yard. Our were converted from steam to electric drives in the past but we had some pretty old lathes and mills in there and none of it was numerical controlled. hall hand cranks , dials and calipers and using the thing between ones ears a lot.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 04:03 AM

My Dad always talked of a "line shaft" system (I think). He never worked in a shop that had this, but he was a good machinist, and had an affinity for history...I know he would have loved to be part of such a thing!
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 12:08 PM

Is that the Sippy Historic Machine Shop? I drive by it many times a year. At first the owner was only building it for himself according to the guy who built the shop for him. Never investigated beyond that as i always had other business to attend to. One of my hunting lands is 2 miles down the road, so have other things on my mind. Plus im not a machinist, just an engineer who asks good ones to make things for me.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 02:46 PM

Cool shop!
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 04:16 PM

Amazing! Love this.

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 06:15 PM

Biggest mistake I may have ever made was NOT listening to my shop teacher in HS. He wanted me to stick with machine work, but I went to the auto body shops instead. Kicked myself in the butt for 50 yrs now for not listening to him.

I have always liked the "older" type stuff and machine tools are some of the best. Like Scuba says, ya have to use that thing betwix your ears a lot more. I have known a few very good machinists and all of them can show ya ways of doing stuff most others would never think of.
Posted By: Killbuck

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 07:22 PM

Someone@ OSHA is having a stroke!
Posted By: Killbuck

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 07:23 PM

Someone@ OSHA is having a stroke!

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 10:08 PM

Someone@ OSHA is having a stroke

Let em....lol
Posted By: jk

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 10:11 PM

No loose clothing there and wear you leather apron tied!!!!......jk
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Old machine shop - 11/12/22 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
Biggest mistake I may have ever made was NOT listening to my shop teacher in HS. He wanted me to stick with machine work, but I went to the auto body shops instead. Kicked myself in the butt for 50 yrs now for not listening to him.

I have always liked the "older" type stuff and machine tools are some of the best. Like Scuba says, ya have to use that thing betwix your ears a lot more. I have known a few very good machinists and all of them can show ya ways of doing stuff most others would never think of.

I ran manual lathes and mills for years and it was awesome, truly a passion that I got paid for. I ran some parts metal to metal, 0 tolerance. Then when asked to run CNC's I was scared to death. But I did it, I learned G code, got to writing my own programs and enjoyed it very much. I got to love the CNC machining but the manual machining is where it's at. Still have scars from chips lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums