Home

Bear Camp

Posted By: Nittany Lion

Bear Camp - 11/14/22 10:49 AM

I get a magazine called "Pennsylvania Game News", it is published by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. This month there was an article about a bear camp in the state. The camp has harvested 150 black bears over the years. I think it started around 1980 or so. The camp is located in very rugged terrain. The members get all of their bears the hard way by putting on drives. PA does not allow hunting over bait so these guys must work hard for their bears. The drivers come in at the end of the day bleeding from scratches and have tattered clothes. It was an interesting article about hunting bears the hard way.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 10:55 AM

sounds like a good story ,
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 11:28 AM

Sounds like a good article, Do they have a way you can view it on the internet a post the article for us?
I know some magazines will let you view them online if your a subscriber
Posted By: washxc

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 11:46 AM

Saw that crew at the bear check station a few times. They really do show up bloody from pushing through the nasty stuff. Nice article.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 11:58 AM

The R.C. Luce Bear Camp. I just read that article this morning while sitting on the throne Nittany. One hundred fifty bears out of that camp.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 12:09 PM

PA is a blessed state when it comes to bears.
& some of the biggest bears in the country

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by G Hose
Sounds like a good article, Do they have a way you can view it on the internet a post the article for us?
I know some magazines will let you view them online if your a subscriber

I tried, but was unable to bring it up.

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 12:41 PM

Pennsylvania Game News

View Past Issues

You can view past issues of Game News at www.penngamenews.com. The first article of current issues is available for anyone to view. Subscribers can view entire issues online. Anyone can view issues one year and older.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 12:45 PM

Near Poconos?
We had years of the mag at our camp.
The elder PTA VPW was a regular.

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 12:45 PM

I tried that and they wanted an account number and a password. I looked at my magazine and did not see an account number. I did not see where a non-subscriber could read an article, maybe you could guide us through that Lugnut.

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Near Poconos?
We had years of the mag at our camp.
The elder PTA VPW was a regular.

McKean County.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 12:58 PM

I'll be dang. I may have seen these guys.
If they bark like dogs while pushing, probably them.

Pa bear hunting is a group thing to have consistent success.
Posted By: micheal

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 01:01 PM

The old fashion way
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 01:12 PM

Is this the story?- https://www.outdoornews.com/2011/01/20/pa-luce-bear-camp-members-uncommonly-successful/

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 01:26 PM

I think that is only part of it.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 03:44 PM

Some guys hunt wolves like that,and deer.

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 08:55 PM

According to PGC the largest recorded bear from PA was 875 lb & there were 7 over 800 lb

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
I tried that and they wanted an account number and a password. I looked at my magazine and did not see an account number. I did not see where a non-subscriber could read an article, maybe you could guide us through that Lugnut.

If you go to this site: PA Game News Online anyone can view any Game News magazine older than a year. I clicked on several older issues and it worked.

When I tried to open any issue newer than a year the site asked me for an account number and password like it did to you.

It said:

To view this publication, please enter your E-mail address and Password below:

Account Number:

Your password is 'pagamenews':

I tried entering my email address and the twelve digit account number above my address on the magazine mailing label. I used the password listed. I kept getting the error message: "The username (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) or password you entered is not valid. Please check your login information and try again.

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 11:12 PM

Lugnut i clicked on august 2021 & it worked. I clicked on august 2022 & clicked 'not a subscriber' & it went a few pages then said i reached my page limit

Re: Bear Camp - 11/14/22 11:50 PM

It takes me right to the login page when I click on a newer issue, and I am a subscriber. It won’t let me view any of the pages of the newer magazines. I get this screen:

[Linked Image]

When I enter the correct information I get this screen:

[Linked Image]

It looks like they have magazines online going back to 2008.

[Linked Image]

I wish the PGC would get their act together and fix their website.

Re: Bear Camp - 11/15/22 12:46 AM

About ten years ago Outdoor Life magazine did an article about the crew that hunts bear on the same timber company property I hunt. They sent a writer who stayed in camp with most of the crew and participated in the three day hunt. I think they got four bear that year.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Bear Camp - 11/15/22 02:05 AM

Impressive bear camp/group for sure.

Osky
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bear Camp - 11/15/22 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Impressive bear camp/group for sure.

Osky

Yes
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Bear Camp - 11/15/22 03:29 PM

PA is a bear success story considering the population is now over 16,000 compared to 4,000 in 1980 and as high as 20,000 on 2015.

Re: Bear Camp - 11/15/22 06:00 PM

Love him or hate him, you can thank Gary Alt for that.

Gary Alt
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Bear Camp - 11/15/22 06:32 PM

That does sound like a good article. Hunting bear over there has been on my bucket list for years. Should have done it when I could handle the terrain. Anybody know of a good flat spot over there. grin grin
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Bear Camp - 11/16/22 05:21 AM

[quote=Lugnut]Love him or hate him, you can thank Gary Alt for that.

Gary Alt[/quoteyep.

Yep. I remember when Dr. Alt shut down bear hunting for couple seasons in the 1980’s and made it lawful to kill bear cubs since hunters couldn’t tell a cub from an adult. The bear population really increased after his recommendations were approved by the Game Commission. He should of stayed with the bears since his popularity really decreased when they made Alt in charge of the deer program and his controversial methods. He resigned from the Commission when he realized he wasn’t going to be the director of the Game Commission.

Re: Bear Camp - 11/16/22 11:46 AM

Alt greatly improved the quality of our deer herd and, as a result, our habitat.. It's a shame so many short-sighted PA hunters hated him for it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums