Home

bear trap value

Posted By: michitraps

bear trap value - 11/14/22 01:44 PM

I'm looking at a S Newhouse Oneida Community # 15 bear trap to buy. Both jaws are stamped and readable ( Oneida Community NY) the pan is readable, no broken teeth, overall good condition except the original chain and swivel have been replaced with another chain without a swivel. What would be the value of this trap. Thank You
Posted By: Boco

Re: bear trap value - 11/14/22 03:45 PM

Post pics on the trap collectors forum on here.

Re: bear trap value - 11/14/22 05:05 PM

Its at a friends house. I am only looking for a ballpark figure. He is asking one thousand bucks for it. Thank You
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: bear trap value - 11/14/22 05:18 PM

To a true collector, the value is decreased because of the replaced chain. It is just fine for some one that just wants a bear trap for decoration.

$500.00 or so, in my,opinion. A thousand dollars is too high, in my opinion.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: bear trap value - 11/14/22 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
To a true collector, the value is decreased because of the replaced chain. It is just fine for some one that just wants a bear trap for decoration.

$500.00 or so, in my,opinion. A thousand dollars is too high, in my opinion.

Agree. Proper replacement chain could cost you more than $500 "IF" you can find one.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: bear trap value - 11/14/22 06:38 PM

I bet at an estate auction it would bring closer to the thousand than the five hundred. The "real collector" market is not the only market out there. There are a lot of people that would like to have a real newhouse bear trap to hang on their wall.

To the op, did you mean both springs were stamped?

Re: bear trap value - 11/14/22 07:03 PM

Yes, both springs are clearly stamped
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: bear trap value - 11/14/22 11:34 PM

I tried to buy one at an estate auction a couple years ago. My 750 proxy bid was 750 short of the selling price.

Re: bear trap value - 11/15/22 03:25 PM

Was that one in complete condition?
Posted By: cathryn

Re: bear trap value - 11/15/22 05:18 PM

Raised letters?
Posted By: sneaky

Re: bear trap value - 11/15/22 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Animals Only
I tried to buy one at an estate auction a couple years ago. My 750 proxy bid was 750 short of the selling price.

There was a lot of "free" govt money floating around a couple years ago too. Market on everything tightened once the freebies dried up.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: bear trap value - 11/15/22 07:23 PM

Im pretty sure they all had raised lettering.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums