Home

35 whelen

Posted By: Wolfdog91

35 whelen - 11/14/22 05:39 PM

Pros con, likes dislikes?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 05:50 PM

you planning an alaska hunt?

your just going to abuse yourself with recoil with that and nothing will be any deader in Mississippi.

Pro's
massive power 250gr bullet moving 2400fps
3200FPE
deep pentation

Cons
expensive ammo
ammo that may be hard to find
not a ton of rifle bullets in .358
heavy recoiling
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 06:27 PM

your just going to abuse yourself with recoil with that and nothing will be any deader in Mississippi.

X2
But if anyone likes a certain cartridge it's all good
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 06:33 PM

Get a 9.3x62, 286 grain bullet at 2,500 fps. The .35 Whelen and 9.3x62 are two of my favorite cartridges for practical hunting ranges. I have shot moose out to 300 yards, but the vast majority are less than 100 yards.

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Pro's
3200FPE
deep pentation

Cons
expensive ammo
heavy recoiling

Egh just kinda want a big...ish bore just for fun . Looking at a 45-70 ( really want a H&R buffalo classic) but idk think whelen seem to just take less powder and all so figured I'd ask

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 06:50 PM

if your going big bore , I wanted to build a 358win , just never found a host rifle , it is a 308 case necked up to .358 and much more in line with cast bullet velocities which is mostly why I wanted it.

45-70 lever gun loads and 35 wheelen loads depends on the powder but very close to each other for powder the 45 will take more lead.

the 358 you can get about 2200-2300fps with a 250 and use less powder that is why I wanted to play with it.

if you want a big bore have fun

I found 308 made stuff real dead so I stopped thinking about 358

I have thought a 45-70 might be nice some day I really don't have anything to hunt with it
Posted By: K91773

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 06:55 PM

One big advantage of the 35 Whelen in MS unless they have changed the law, if you get it in certain single shot rifles you can use it during the "primitive weapons" season giving you a 300 yard capable "muzzleloader".

I have a Remington Model 7600 in 35 Whelen and actually recoil isn't all that bad, I really don't notice it anymore than a 30-06 of course everyone tolerates recoil differently so you may find differently.

Ammo is expensive and sometimes hard to find but since you are a reloader once you get your components that is a non-issue and as has been pointed out there isn't a huge variety of 358 diameter rifle bullets but there are some really good ones for the velocity window that the 35 Whelen operates in. Really for that type of rifle you really only need a couple of weights of bullets plus for plinking since you cast you have a lot of options for molds.

I like my 35 Whelen but I admit there is nothing where I hunt that a 308 won't kill just as well but variety is what it is all about.
Posted By: 160user

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

Pro's
3200FPE
deep pentation

Cons
expensive ammo
heavy recoiling

Egh just kinda want a big...ish bore just for fun . Looking at a 45-70 ( really want a H&R buffalo classic) but idk think whelen seem to just take less powder and all so figured I'd ask

You will love the Buffalo Classic. I have one I bought new and it is a pleasure to shoot with 300 grainers. Slip some 405's in and let your friends shoot it. I haven't fired it (or even looked at it) in probably 10-15 years but it is fun!
Posted By: swift4me

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 07:28 PM

I built my Whelen off a pre 64 model 70 and love it. It came together for an Alaska moose hunt and did the job with 250 grain ammo.

Here in France it is a great round for wild boar on driven hunts. Lots of guys are shooting 300 Win for these boars at less than 80 yards. That seems like too much gun for me.

No recoil issues for me..... but that is a personal issue.

God bless Townsend Whelen

Pete

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by K91773
One big advantage of the 35 Whelen in MS unless they have changed the law, if you get it in certain single shot rifles you can use it during the "primitive weapons" season giving you a 300 yard capable "muzzleloader".

I have a Remington Model 7600 in 35 Whelen and actually recoil isn't all that bad, I really don't notice it anymore than a 30-06 of course everyone tolerates recoil differently so you may find differently.

Ammo is expensive and sometimes hard to find but since you are a reloader once you get your components that is a non-issue and as has been pointed out there isn't a huge variety of 358 diameter rifle bullets but there are some really good ones for the velocity window that the 35 Whelen operates in. Really for that type of rifle you really only need a couple of weights of bullets plus for plinking since you cast you have a lot of options for molds.

I like my 35 Whelen but I admit there is nothing where I hunt that a 308 won't kill just as well but variety is what it is all about.

That is another advantage I was looking at the primitive weapons deal and all. Was also wondering how well it would be for a cast shooter. I know the 45-70 and other rounds in the "stye" seem to be perfect for it so
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 07:43 PM

I have a neighbor who has a 375 H&H magnum. He shoots everything with it including deer. Finding ammo for it might prove nearly impossible. But, reloading maybe not quite as bad?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 07:46 PM

No point being an American if you talk yourself out of buying a gun you dont need even though you think it would be fun to have.

A single shot 12 gauge is all the gun you "need" truth be told. What cant you successfully hunt with one in N. America? Some crack head comes in the house at 0 dark 30 or tries to steal your pick up, that shot gun ought to take care of the problem.

I say if you found one you like buy it. Its a gun. You can always sell it if you change your mind.
Posted By: warrior

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 07:58 PM

I wouldn't sweat the recoil thing unless you're one of those who like featherweight rifles. In any reasonable 7-9 lb rifle it'll be no worse than a 12ga slug through a bird gun.

And you reload so recoil is totally up to you.
Posted By: Guss

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 08:01 PM

I like my 45/70 if your a reloaded you can load it light or dislocated your shoulder your choice.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 08:10 PM

If you plan to just target shoot with it, get a lead sled. You can shoot in a short sleeve shirt with little to no recoil felt.

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
No point being an American if you talk yourself out of buying a gun you dont need even though you think it would be fun to have.

A single shot 12 gauge is all the gun you "need" truth be told. What cant you successfully hunt with one in N. America? Some crack head comes in the house at 0 dark 30 or tries to steal your pick up, that shot gun ought to take care of the problem.

I say if you found one you like buy it. Its a gun. You can always sell it if you change your mind.

when 2-3 crack heads show up you want the pump gun

that primitives season would make sense I think I would go 45-70

half the guns we use own are invented because law makers made some reason for us to own them.

I would have never bought my first muzzle loader if it wasn't for a gun restriction a place I wanted to hunt. slug guns and 300 blackout pistol are also for a restricted hunting zone.
Posted By: Eyehi

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 09:24 PM

if your going big bore , I wanted to build a 358win , just never found a host rifle , it is a 308 case necked up to .358 and much more in line with cast bullet velocities which is mostly why I wanted it.

45-70 lever gun loads and 35 wheelen loads depends on the powder but very close to each other for powder the 45 will take more lead.

the 358 you can get about 2200-2300fps with a 250 and use less powder that is why I wanted to play with it.

if you want a big bore have fun

I found 308 made stuff real dead so I stopped thinking about 358

I have thought a 45-70 might be nice some day I really don't have anything to hunt with it

My 14 year old nephew has a Browning 358 Winchester he got new a couple years ago ..... He just killed his second buck in 2 years with the gun ..... There has never been any tracking involved after the shot.... Very impressive weapon ....
Posted By: cmj

Re: 35 whelen - 11/14/22 10:57 PM

I have one in a cva single shot. Recoil isnt bad. You can use 30.06 brass, just run it through a 35 whelen sizer die. reloading bullets were not hard to find.

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

when 2-3 crack heads show up you want the pump gun

that primitives season would make sense I think I would go 45-70

half the guns we use own are invented because law makers made some reason for us to own them.

I would have never bought my first muzzle loader if it wasn't for a gun restriction a place I wanted to hunt. slug guns and 300 blackout pistol are also for a restricted hunting zone.

The crackheads don't know you have a single shot and when the first one is flopping around on the ground and screaming like a little girl the others will likely remember they needed to be somewhere else.
Posted By: Buzzard

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 12:02 AM

You really ain't worth my time, but I would suggest a 338 federal
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 12:07 AM

I have a 35 whelen barrel for my TC encore prohunter. Recoil isn’t that bad even with my hand loads. I can get 2660 fps with a 250 grain bullet out of my 28” barrel using Speer load data but I find the best accuracy at lower velocity. Factory ammo is hard to come by and expensive but I have no problem finding bullets to hand load
Posted By: waggler

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
I have a neighbor who has a 375 H&H magnum. He shoots everything with it including deer. Finding ammo for it might prove nearly impossible. But, reloading maybe not quite as bad?

If you want a truly classic big bore go with the 375H&H. You can find ammo anywhere in the world for it; might be a little hard in Mississippi, but on the other hand I actually bought my 375 from Sportsman's Warehouse in Southhaven MS.
They are fun to reload for. I use mine for everything from little blacktail deer (very little meat damage) to Brown bear. Also doesn't kick as bad as some of the smaller magnums.
A 45-70 imo is just a pumpkin chucker, the factory ammo for it is wimpy.
Posted By: warrior

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 12:14 AM

Now that I think of it the Whelen would be a good fit in my favorite lever gun the 95 winchester. By all measures the Whelen isn't a reach across three counties round but more of heavy hitter at moderate ranges. And seeing as the 95 is restricted to irons that combo would be a good one.
Posted By: EdP

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 01:59 AM

You really ain't worth my time,

Buzzard, that seems rather offensive. Hope it wasn't meant that way. Wolfie is a valued member.
Posted By: MTHunter

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 02:34 AM

I started with a 30-06, then a 7mag, then a 35 Whelen. A fun gun with recoil that seems like more of a push. You would like it.

I then had a 375 Scovill built. It’s like a 375 Whelen with the shoulder moved up. Looks like a 9.3x62 case. I can push 250’s to 2700 fps per Dave Scovill (Handloader #162?). Easy to shoot, never recovered a bullet.

Good luck!

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by EdP

Buzzard, that seems rather offensive. Hope it wasn't meant that way. Wolfie is a valued member.

That is just Buzzard being Buzzard. His bark is worse than his bite and it is just the way he is.

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by cmj
I have one in a cva single shot. Recoil isnt bad. You can use 30.06 brass, just run it through a 35 whelen sizer die. reloading bullets were not hard to find.

Every thing you said is exactly what I'm looking at. How you like that CVA ?
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 04:07 AM

If you are getting one that can be used for muzzleloading then it has to be breech loading with an exposed trigger. If you hunt on private land in Mississippi where you are you don't need it. You can use weapon of choice during muzzleloader season. If you get a single shot expect recoil and lots of it. A muzzle brake will take care of that. The free bore in the 36 whelen is enormous and it is hard to find factory ammo that will be consistent. If you go that route send me a PM and I'll turn you on to my load data and components that take care of that issue. If you don't need it for muzzleloader than I would recommend a different platform. The buffalo classic is a neat gun and fun to play with. Remember you can never have too many.
Posted By: ZionHeritageFarm

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 12:44 PM

38-55. Mid bore. Nostalgic like 45-70. Very versatile and capable.
Posted By: 6BRAI

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 01:38 PM

When I knew I would be moving to Mississippi I put together a cartridge rifle primitive weapon. Ordered a Mach Grade Machine barrel. Put it on a Thompson Center Pro Hunter action. Gave serious consideration to chamber it in the .35 Whelen. I already play with the .35 Whelen in a 7600, so I made a command decision for MGM to chamber it in 9.3x62mm. Why not start with the .35 Whelen and keep adding barrels to your action. They will make more.
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 03:30 PM

Was thinking about ordering an MGM barrel in a something different. How does it shoot 6BRAI?
Posted By: Buzzard

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by EdP

it was ment as posted, I asked him several questions on this forum with no reply, I sent him a private message where he didnt answer the main question and took 4 days to reply even tho on here daily . NO, a valued member that plays the ghost and ask dumb questions dont cut it with me
Posted By: wildflights

Re: 35 whelen - 11/15/22 10:29 PM

I've always wanted a Whelen but if I got serious, I think I'd buy one of the imported 9.3x64 rifles. They look like a great value for the money.

OTOH- I have a 45-70. A cast 405gr. slug over a 13.0 gr charge of Trail Boss is as fun and economical as shooting gets these days.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: 35 whelen - 11/16/22 01:44 AM

Check out Hammer Bullets website for .35 Whelen possibilities.

They also have some loading data. 200gr solid copper. Most folks seem to me able to get 2800-2900fps with them. And made to shoot out of existing 1 in 16" twist barrels. They also show heavier weights. No need for a magnum.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums