Home

Pro tip for the dogproof users

Posted By: MattLA

Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/14/22 09:30 PM

Obviously I didnt learn this by myself, but it was words of wisdom by a very respected trapper here in Louisiana. Now you can use PVC if you want, I just have a personal aversion to plastic if I can help it. This will let you preload all of them prior to the season, and for the weak hands or older folks who cant compress it in the field easily, this gives you plenty of leverage to set it in the field. If you used natural branches like me, you can drill a hole through the center, PVC comes with a hole in the middle, and with the proper funnel you can use this device to pre-bait, pre-lure, pre whatever you wanna call putting attractant. Send your thanks to Louisiana by emailing below telling them how important trapping in Louisiana is as a non resident! If you feel like being a true trapper, email them anyways even if you think this tip sucks!

slaughterl@legis.la.gov
snatr@legis.la.gov

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/14/22 09:33 PM

[Linked Image]

Why not just use this?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/14/22 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wild_WI
[Linked Image]

Why not just use this?

That's what I do.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/14/22 09:46 PM

[Linked Image]

Why not just use this?

If you can have em all preset at home, it makes opening day vastly easier. if you plan to set 100 DPs opening day and takes you 15 seconds to use the setters then that's 1500 seconds, that adds up to 25 minutes extra setting you can so, oe go home earlier. Afd another 10 seconda to bait then thats another 16 .minutes saved.

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/14/22 09:52 PM

Yeah but how long does it take to pre load and partially set them at home?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/14/22 09:55 PM

Yeah but how long does it take to pre load and partially set them at home?

How much time do most guys waste watching football or the news every night and not getting anything done? Multitasking FTW
Posted By: eedup

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/14/22 11:40 PM

It's a method I've showed lots of kids or parents with kids using a dowel or broomstick to make it easier for them to set. They can put the spring on ground push down insert dowel then flip over for setting
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/14/22 11:49 PM

So I dont use any tool, but for this application, you could grab n go instead if having to mess with it in the field. This is a time saver, like previously said, when im in the woods or swamp, I dont wanna spend anymore time than I have to. Also I went out to the woods, got 3 or 4 saplings chinese privet, and cut these DP holders, so almost no money was used.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 12:01 AM

I used to prebait and preset my dog proofs and put them in the freezer. Had crates with 4 inch foam on the bottom to put traps into. Wanna race?
Posted By: Killbuck

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 12:22 AM

don't mess with a pro!

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 12:33 AM

Nah I guess I'd rather have the extra time in the woods than the shed
Posted By: warrior

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 12:39 AM

Makes perfect sense. I see it as no different as flipping up the pan on a cdr and tucking the loose jaw under.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 12:41 AM

I got farmer hands. Takes me 2 seconds to set
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 12:44 AM

If you’re gonna go through all that trouble before hand just go ahead and set them, lol.
I just squeeze’em when I go to set. If you can’t squeeze, work on your hand strength during the off season.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 03:47 AM

My farmer hands have turned into Nancy hands with arthritis. I'm thinking I might start doing this. My advanced stage of CRS also makes it difficult to keep track of my setters in the field too. smile My shed has fewer places for them to hide than in the field.
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 04:04 AM

Dogproofs are one of the things that I struggle with most. The little wire setter is garbage and most of the time just becomes a sharp bright colored projectile. I have an old trapping shovel from an older trapper who gave it to me and the handle is the perfect size from being used all the years to fit into a dogproof. I put the dogproof on the ground and step on it, insert the handle, and then I can do the trigger and everything else with ease. The only thing I have to watch for is not putting the handle in too far otherwise it will affect the trigger. If I was serious about trapping with dogproofs, a couple dozen or more. I would personally make a tray in the back of the truck for them with their own slots. Prebait and set them at home so you can just go go go. That's how I do it and how I would do it for most efficiency.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 04:08 AM

I made one out of #3 rebar. Works pretty good, although I don't personally use it, my son's each have one, and they do.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 10:20 AM

Oil filter pliers makes setting easy. Removal even easier
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 10:38 AM

I preset all my DP's with PVC plugs before I go out, always have. I have no problem compressing the springs by hand, I just like having everything ready to set and go and better organization. My reset bag just contains extra bait and marshmallows and when I pull- I put the PVC plug back in and it's ready for a new home rather than spilling catfood or fish pellets all over my truck. It is also an advantage if someone needs a tool assist to preset and compressing the spring- just not the only advantage.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 12:37 PM

Been doing that for years.
free tip
1"dowell with a golf ball screwed to it keeps mice out also. Just bait before hand and leave the ball/dowell there after setting.
And I ain't no pro
just.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 01:08 PM

Some of us just don't like progressive ideas and that the way we like it, lol!
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/two-old-men/2868080
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Killbuck
don't mess with a pro!

grin
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 02:29 PM

If yall would buy real dog proofs they have a notch in the trigger that allows you to fully preset the trap without a dowel or pipe gizmo...... grin
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Pro tip for the dogproof users - 11/15/22 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
[Linked Image]

Why not just use this?

That's what I do.

Me too. Or a heavy screwdriver works good too.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums