Home

How far will a buck travel during rut

Posted By: Yes sir

How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:41 AM

Because someone's SWGA 11 1/2 year old management buck named Pat showed up in Ks [Linked Image]
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:42 AM

Funny!
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:48 AM

Years ago , I tracked one for over or around ten miles , and he was still going north!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:51 AM

It’s possible, they have a collared buck traveling 186 miles in 22 days.
Posted By: warrior

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:53 AM

A study out of Mississippi had one swimming the big ditch on his regular route.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:53 AM

If it is going past my stand only about another 5 yards. grin

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:56 AM

We had a nice buck 2 years ago on cameras weekly at to places we hunted about 2 1/2 miles apart with a highway in between. After neighbors son shot him we found he was on their cameras weekly and they were another 3 miles away. That buck was regularly crossing a highway and travel at least 5 miles.
Posted By: Marty

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:57 AM

younger and older not as much as a mid aged buck.

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Green Bay
If it is going past my stand only about another 5 yards. grin

I'm about there myself........ the big bucks really have my number this year and I'm getting an itchy trigger finger....

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:59 AM

I guess not every deer in KS has B&C genetics
Posted By: Marty

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 01:04 AM

They do not..for sure.
Posted By: Mainelogger

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 01:10 AM

In the big woods of Maine it's common to track a buck 10-15 miles in a day and never catch up. The deer density is low so they have to travel a long ways searching for groups of does.There's no agriculture holding them to any one spot so they're constantly moving. If habitat changes due to logging or somthing they may move to the next ridge. In 2 or 3 years when the wood lot gets some good browse again they may move back. In the winter many of these deer may travel 30 miles into town we're the snow depths are less and people feed them.
Posted By: Posco

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 01:56 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I got this guy on camera at my property and a friend recognized the buck as the same deer he caught on camera. Six miles away. I think he was on a mission inventorying does prior to the rut.

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 02:13 AM

Some deer have their home ranges and completely different rut/winter ranges.
Some of our deer stick around all year, some leave shortly after rubbing that velvet off and if they make it, return before shedding time. If you want those deer you better be archery hunting.
I find it fascinating keeping up with bucks and their travel patterns and growth. And I really don’t care if I deer hunt or not. I just have to be doing something when I can’t trap or turkey hunt, so deer fill the void. I just believe if you’re going to do something, give it 110% and learn all you can about it.
Posted By: Posco

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Some deer have their home ranges and completely different rut/winter ranges.

Right at the beginning of December the resident big boys will make one last cruise through looking for that last hot doe before heading off to a yard. I won't see another deer track until May.
Posted By: nate

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 02:33 AM

MDC run a study a couple years ago, there was a very respectable buck that travelled over a hundred and twenty miles (bee line) and back during firearm season with most of his travel during legal shooting hours he made the trip their and back down n a two week period.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 02:48 AM

2 years ago my daughter and I watched and followed a buck chase a doe for 3 and a half miles without pressure, in about 8 minutes. As soon as they got to a plum thicket we snuck in and she shot him. [Linked Image]

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 02:50 AM

Now that’s a unique rack! Great deer!
I’m guessing y’all watched from a vehicle, 3.5 miles in 8 minutes is getting it!!
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Now that’s a unique rack! Great deer!
I’m guessing y’all watched from a vehicle, 3.5 miles in 8 minutes is getting it!!

Yes from a vehicle for part of the 8 minutes.
Great management buck 3x3.
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 03:14 AM

I know for a fact at least 6 miles! Had a guy bring in a buck to mount at my taxidermy shop in Nebraska, when he dropped it off I thought dam this buck looks familiar. After he left I realized I had trail camera pictures of that buck, at that point I got a curious thinking I want to know how this (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) poached my deer! I called and asked roughly where he shot it. He told me exactly where he shot it, and the way he was telling me I had no reason to doubt he wasnt being truthful. It was on a piece of ground 6 miles from where I had pictures of him just 3 days before.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 03:34 AM

Part of the MO deer study was done on our farm. Very interesting and educational to talk with them (which I tried to as much as possible). One buck south of here went on the move right before rifle season and traveled almost 200 miles in 21 days then stayed there. Among the items I learned (this is in NW MO): a buck spends 80% of his time on 200 acres, the rut always occurs at the same time(give one or two days), if a fawn can make it the first two weeks it has a really good chance, fawn mortality in the first two weeks was 40%-60%, if you want to help fawns kill the coyotes and bobcats at the end of May and month of June. Seeing the radio collared travel maps on computer was a learning experience. A fawn under 48 hours old you can just walk and pick up. Those radio collars sliding up and down on the does neck can rub all the hair off. A bare neck when it is below zero looks cold. One buck I shot had a little metal ear tag. His collar had been released before the rut to not cause issues with neck swelling. At 1.5 years old he was collared then traveled 2.5 miles to our farm where he stayed the next 3 years.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by arcticotter
2 years ago my daughter and I watched and followed a buck chase a doe for 3 and a half miles without pressure, in about 8 minutes. As soon as they got to a plum thicket we snuck in and she shot him. [Linked Image]

GREAT BUCK !! and it sounds like it was a very exciting hunt Lots of tense action packed events in a short time
Posted By: Orlando

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 01:15 PM

Same thing happens here.
Posted By: Orlando

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 01:16 PM

I like those Big 6's!
Posted By: DugK

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 01:36 PM

https://gon.com/news/mature-buck-travels-200-miles-8-1-2-miles-per-day-during-rut#:~:text=Radio%20telemetry%20documents%20remarkable%20dispersal,during%20three%20weeks%20in%20November.&text=Researchers%20have%20discovered%20the%20longest,in%20just%20over%20three%20weeks

here is a study
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 04:09 PM

I think how many girl friends he has in an area and how much competition that plays a factor in how far he will travel.

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 04:28 PM

An adult male deer has about a one square mile home range That is 640 acres .But THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT COVERS IT'S HOME RANGE in square miles It can and will cover that territory in any shape or form as it is so inclined to do .And that is it's home range meaning that deer spends the majority of it's time there .They can and will get on their feet and walk a long way in a general straight line .and be several miles from where it started it's walk earlier in the day . Plus some deer are more homebodies than others .At the same time deer are more inclined to become nocturnal if pressured .And another thing is in open country they are more likely to cover greatly amounts of landscape distances than what deer of the mountains and woodland to .So I always say the deer do what they want to do when they decide to do it .
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 06:32 PM

The good news regarding the rut range of bucks is that it minimizes in breeding of the population.
The not so good news is that CWD is more commonly found in older deer, especially older males and they can move the disease a lot and spread it quite easily and quickly for that matter. Increasing the number of anterless permits is not a bad way to try to reach the "social carrying capacity" for a management area but probably not as good a way of slowing the spread of CWD as may have been hoped.

Bryce

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/15/22 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
The good news regarding the rut range of bucks is that it minimizes in breeding of the population.
The not so good news is that CWD is more commonly found in older deer, especially older males and they can move the disease a lot and spread it quite easily and quickly for that matter. Increasing the number of anterless permits is not a bad way to try to reach the "social carrying capacity" for a management area but probably not as good a way of slowing the spread of CWD as may have been hoped.

Bryce

All very good points In some of the studies they found that the young buck (button buck )disperse in the spring time and relocate their home range to help to avoid inbreeding That means if you kill a button buck in the fall hunting season he most likely would not have been there as a 1.5 year old buck .anyhow .Mother Nature does not play favorites Predators' disease and cars all kill what are available And trying to stockpile wildlife generally causes other issues later
Posted By: Northof50

Re: How far will a buck travel during rut - 11/16/22 01:54 AM

Some of the early radio collars in Ontario had the deer moving 350 miles, well past the boundries they were managing the deer herd at.
It took 5 yeRS FOR THE OLD FART BIOS to wake up and change the herd management blocks
micro management at it finest
southern Ontario has lake effect snow so there is some movement that was known, but this opened up a whole can of worms some bios COULD NOT SWALLOW. at one time
© 2024 Trapperman Forums