Home

Small wound on dog treatment? (pic added)

Posted By: ~ADC~

Small wound on dog treatment? (pic added) - 11/15/22 05:50 PM

Is there anything you can put on a small wound on a dog (over the counter stuff that is) that will speed healing and prevent infection,,, that they won't lick off? I hate to put the "cone" on her.
Posted By: riverbank

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 05:54 PM

Dermagel. It works wonders. You may want to wrap it up. May or may not lick off, just depends on the dog.

https://www.allivet.com/product/der...3POCKCfYgPLMB7Cb4zr8LfkeoTBoCGigQAvD_BwE
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 05:55 PM

No.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 06:01 PM

I've always told to just let him lick it, as long as it's not bleeding profusely.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 06:01 PM

I would put cornstarch on it
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 06:09 PM

Just give her some buttermilk, she'll be fine.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 06:12 PM

Blue coat

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 06:21 PM

It's on the side of her belly, about the size on a half-dollar, there's a little spot by it. I'm not sure if it's a "hot spot" or what caused it. She's had it maybe 3-4 days that I know of but likely longer, doesn't seem to be getting better.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RR 3

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 06:32 PM

Used to use cut-heal for horses on my coon dogs years ago.
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 06:52 PM

^^^^^^^Cut + Heal. Might lick it off though.
Posted By: Carolina Foxer

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 06:55 PM

Trip to the vet is warranted.
Posted By: huntrap247

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Carolina Foxer
Trip to the vet is warranted.

I agree, this appears like it could be a mast cell tumor, worth getting checked out at least.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 07:10 PM

Appears it might be a mammory tumor. They are common in dogs as they age. May want to have a vet take a look. Many times they are benign tumors, however if it appears inflammed with some lesions could be something else.

Over the counter triple antibiotic ointments and such can help with topical wounds/infections. If it is an internal bacterial issue it will need some antibotics. They may or may not lick too much depending upon how much irritation it gives them.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 07:11 PM

Take it to the vet. Unless you know it's a cut Some types of cancer are open wounds. I had a dog that had some sores and some were open . Turned out to be cancer.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 07:16 PM

Yup...I'd bring the dog to the vet..
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 07:36 PM

Could be a Lick Granulomas but hard to tell from the pic

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 07:55 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice. I sent the picture to the vet, he said it wouldn't hurt to try some spray, antibiotics, and the cone of shame for a few days and see how it progresses, and bring her in if it doesn't appear to to be healing. So I'll go that route for now. She is 12-13 years old.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/15/22 10:46 PM

Bag balm. They will lick it off but applied 2-3x's a day and it will work. Had a dog that had mammary tumors bad. Had several removed one time. Two years later and more. One tore open and vet said to bring her back in a few days as it wouldn't heal. Healed up and she made two it more years.
Posted By: Carolina Foxer

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/16/22 01:02 AM

If you do that i would also use clippers and shave as much of the hair away from the area as possible to let the air get at it and help try it out. Looks awful yeasty and damp. Clean it well with some mild binegar solution after you shave it down, dry it well and keep an eye on it.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Small wound on dog treatment? - 11/16/22 02:39 AM

... Give it 3 licks yourself every 4-5 hours ... do not exceed 18 licks in a 24 hour period
© 2024 Trapperman Forums