Home

History and Simon Kenton

Posted By: Catch22

History and Simon Kenton - 11/17/22 10:53 PM

Am I right in saying Simon Kenton didn't get the recognition he deserved. It seems to me he was up there or above Boone, Crockett, and the like. Other than Allan Eckert and maybe a few publications, I wonder why he sort of takes a back seat. I'd sure like to see a movie or another book about him.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/17/22 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Am I right in saying Simon Kenton didn't get the recognition he deserved. It seems to me he was up there or above Boone, Crockett, and the like. Other than Allan Eckert and maybe a few publications, I wonder why he sort of takes a back seat. I'd sure like to see a movie or another book about him.

Yup, heck of a story!
Make a heck of a movie, but these days he' d be cast as a trigendered, LBGQBBQEIEIO furry revolutionary Marxist!
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/17/22 11:16 PM

I’ve always been high on Simon Kenton. If it weren’t for him Boone’s life story would have ended early.

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/17/22 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by kytrapper
I’ve always been high on Simon Kenton. If it weren’t for him Boone’s life story would have ended early.

Yes sir! I just wonder if it was because he was one that shied away from notoriety or if he kinda got screwed over. I was introduced to Kenton back in the 80's by my FIL. He was certain that Kenton made Boone look like he never left his front porch lol.

I think Boone was for sure a big part of expansion, and deserving of the publicity. I think Kenton should be too. Most don't know who he is but they recognize Boone, Crockett, Bridger etc.
Posted By: Boco

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/17/22 11:28 PM

Mike Fink was the Man.
Kitt Carson was the Man.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/18/22 12:51 AM

A lot of eastern pioneers have been forgotten,for some reason.The western pioneers got all the glory.Once I discovered Allen Eckert's writings I became fascinated with the pioneers of the eastern seaboard.Its like undiscovered U.S. history.
Posted By: k snow

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/18/22 02:09 AM

Many of the pioneers that were remembered were the ones that went on to business and politics after their frontier days. The ones that stayed in the frontier were often forgotten. They were rough men, men who society doesn't want men to be like. Strong, independent, sometimes ungovernable. Others were outright sociopaths. Those kind of men lived the wild life because that was who they were. They didn't fit in civilization.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/18/22 02:17 AM

Simon Kenton is buried about 10 miles from me in Urbana, Ohio.

John Chapman, AKA Johnny Appleseed, is connected to Urbana, Ohio too. His museum is there.

Keith
Posted By: rivertontrapper

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/18/22 01:27 PM

If I remember correctly Kenton had some la
nd deals that didn't work out, which eventually caused him to fade historically.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/18/22 02:06 PM

I had never heard of him, or dent recall hearing of him. I’m gonna see what I can find to read about him, thanks guys
Posted By: DaveP

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/18/22 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Lippold
I had never heard of him, or dent recall hearing of him. I’m gonna see what I can find to read about him, thanks guys

Get a hold of Allen Eckert's book, The Frontiersman.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/18/22 02:34 PM

The Frontiersman should have been a movie, so many side stories.
Posted By: k snow

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/18/22 02:36 PM

That Dark and Bloody River by Allan Eckert is another good read on the history of the Ohio River Valley in the late 18th century. Bloody and brutal times. Guys like Kenton and Brady forged their way through the wilderness.

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/18/22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fishdog One
The Frontiersman should have been a movie, so many side stories.

I agree and can't believe they didn't make a movie or three of it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Osagian

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/19/22 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by rivertontrapper
If I remember correctly Kenton had some la
nd deals that didn't work out, which eventually caused him to fade historically.

Yeah, they took his land. Boone too. Boone got so fed up with it that he moved to Missouri. Neither one of those two were good businessmen.
Kenton was illiterate and Boone not much better and it was relatively easy for the land sharks to come in after the country was tamed and legally take it away from the the original settlers and frontiersmen that had made tomahawk improvements.
Some poetic justice here I guess. The pioneers stole the land from the Indians and then the lawyers stole it back from them.
Boone settled not far from St. Charles. He and his son Nathan made a nice two story stone house there that stands to this day. Well worth seeing if you're in the area. Just a few miles off the Interstate 44 close to a town named Defiance, Mo.
Poor old Simon died a pauper subsisting on a $20 a month stipend from the government.
Posted By: Osagian

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/19/22 01:08 AM

Am I right in saying Simon Kenton didn't get the recognition he deserved.

I agree. Boone had others chronicling him, (Draper and others), Simon didn't, except for modern day author Alan Eckert. They even had artists of the day making portraits of Boone and his wife Rebecca. During the 1830s, Kentucky fathers came to Missouri and dug up what they thought was Boones grave and took it back to Kentucky for re-burial. He became the famous patron saint of Old Kentucky only after he was dead.
Simon didn't have any of that notoriety and if it were not for Alan Eckert, Simon Kenton would be just one more obscure 1770s frontiersman and longhunter.

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/19/22 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Osagian
Am I right in saying Simon Kenton didn't get the recognition he deserved.

I agree. Boone had others chronicling him, (Draper and others), Simon didn't, except for modern day author Alan Eckert. They even had artists of the day making portraits of Boone and his wife Rebecca. During the 1830s, Kentucky fathers came to Missouri and dug up what they thought was Boones grave and took it back to Kentucky for re-burial.
Simon didn't have any of that notoriety and if it were not for Alan Eckert, Simon Kenton would be just one more obscure 1770s frontiersman and longhunter.

Well said!
Posted By: rex123

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/19/22 01:15 AM

PBS had a documentary about Kenton a while back. It was really pretty good.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: History and Simon Kenton - 11/19/22 03:33 AM

History Teacher read us the Frontiersman in 8th grade in about 1979. Being an OH boy I was mesmerized by it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums