Home

Has anybody sold any muskrats?

Posted By: bigbrad115

Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/17/22 11:35 PM

For those of you that have caught and sold muskrats this season, what were you getting for your rats (stretched and dried).
With the Pa. muskrat season opening this weekend, I am thinking of setting a few traps. That is if I can find any rats to trap.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/17/22 11:43 PM

I think there's two rats left in Cherry County Nebraska.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/17/22 11:45 PM

$2 tops,$1 averages.
Posted By: deerfly

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 12:09 AM

I called Groenwald a few weeks back and asked the price breakdown, he couldnt give me one but said if he is buying he would likely pay around $2 for 15+" 2xl. That would put averages around 1$ or less as Mike said.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 12:30 AM

Sold one on carcass today for $2.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 02:02 AM

I traded a nice carcass ‘rat for a can of diet coke. I’m going to call the guy and give him his change.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 03:46 AM

When the market dips this low, I stretch them fur side out. They are softer to wipe with that way.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
When the market dips this low, I stretch them fur side out. They are softer to wipe with that way.

In that case, are they a "skrat" or a ""Smitten"?
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by BvrRetriever

In that case, are they a "skrat" or a ""Smitten"?

I think a smitten…but you need to be careful to keep your fingers away from the eyeholes when wearing it like a glove. And never wipe against the grain…that really tickles.
Posted By: wildlifeartist1

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 05:33 AM

looking for 5 redish muskrats must be primed up
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 05:50 AM

Sold 21 on the carcass for a dollar a piece. Put up 7 of them for 2$ a piece on average.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 07:06 AM

Sold 21 on the carcass for a dollar a piece. Put up 7 of them for 2$ a piece on average.

Good job Youth Trapper!! You got those out before they froze out. A froze out dead mrat brings no coin. I think I sold my first put up rats in the January of 1986 for about $2.35 average. It was out of a slough between Brookings and the Flandreau exit on I-29, we'd pull off on the shoulder of the interstate, jump the ditch fence, and be on the slough ice. The South Dakota Hy-po would probably take a much dimmer view of that operation today than then. Of course north of $2 put up in 1986 is worth more than north of $2 in 2022. Just saying, but then again you weren't live in 1986 (I'm assuming) wink. Nice action young man!
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed

Good job Youth Trapper!! You got those out before they froze out. A froze out dead mrat brings no coin. I think I sold my first put up rats in the January of 1986 for about $2.35 average. It was out of a slough between Brookings and the Flandreau exit on I-29, we'd pull off on the shoulder of the interstate, jump the ditch fence, and be on the slough ice. The South Dakota Hy-po would probably take a much dimmer view of that operation today than then. Of course north of $2 put up in 1986 is worth more than north of $2 in 2022. Just saying, but then again you weren't live in 1986 (I'm assuming) wink. Nice action young man!

I'm pretty happy with the price, wish there was still a little bit of demand like last year so I could still get 1.5$ on the carcass and then I wouldn't mess around too much with skinning. Yeah, I feel the Hy-po wouldn't enjoy that too much. 1986 was 21 years before I was born so safe to assume I was alive yet.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 08:03 AM

1986 was 21 years before I was born so safe to assume I was alive yet.

Touche wink wink...
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 10:45 AM

I hope you find some muskrats to trap Brad. Not very many in my area.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 04:06 PM

Youth trapper--there is a good lesson to be learned. Putting up your fur,often times pays as much as the trapping of that fur. I can't ever remember selling carcassed fur.
My first years muskrats back in the 60s were put up and sold for 35 and 45 cents each.But then again a hamburger at Mcdonalds was a dime.
Take the time and put up as much fur as you can. It will pay you in not only money ,but in pride-of a job well done.
Tom
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 04:11 PM

Man you're old Tom! The cheapest I remember hamburgers is 19 cents!

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 04:20 PM

Thats a fact,my body tells me how old I am every day. Heck I remember paying 19 cents a gallon for gas in Colorado.
As a kid my mom would send me to the corner store for 3 pounds of hamburger for a buck. Candy bars were a nickel.
Tom
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 04:26 PM

You guys are making me feel old! I always think of myself as a young pup, but I remember 29 cent hamburgers!
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 04:27 PM

Best I can do is a dollar would get me and my brother a can of soda and a candy bar apiece
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
You guys are making me feel old! I always think of myself as a young pup, but I remember 29 cent hamburgers!

Yep. I remember White Castles were 20 cents and with a coupon you could get 6 for a buck.

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 04:38 PM

LOL,white castles used to be a nickel--in the good old days.
Tom
Posted By: 080808

Re: Has anybody sold any muskrats? - 11/18/22 04:45 PM

In the late 50’s I got 3 prices for put up rats. .25 .50 .75. Then again gas was .20 /gal. Do the math.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums