Home

Making those electric cars cheaper to operate

Posted By: Dirt

Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/18/22 05:48 PM

"The U.S. Administration is allocating $13 billion in federal funds to programs for the modernization and expansion of America’s power grid, the White House said on Friday.

The funds, part of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, are expected to be used for upgrades on transmission lines, which will “reduce electricity costs for families and businesses, prevent power outages in extreme weather, and create good-paying jobs in the clean energy economy,” the Biden Administration said. "

If you don't count your tax money. smile
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/18/22 08:34 PM

Some of us neither support this, nor can afford to waste financial resources.
However this is not as bad as the foolish generosity involving Ukraine.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/18/22 08:53 PM

Taxes don't even come into play anymore. They've over-spent 20-some trillion more than what taxes they get and they're not accountable to anyone for what they do.
And no matter how much they spend on their new green deal there will be no electricity generated when the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine. But nobody understands that. And AC current cannot be stored. It has to be generated constantly.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
Some of us neither support this, nor can afford to waste financial resources.
However this is not as bad as the foolish generosity involving Ukraine.

Hopefully, they have plans to give grants to build gas stations and give them tanker trucks. Fair is fair. smile
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 01:16 AM

At the big hospital in civilization they have 8 spots in the parking deck with charging cables. I checked them out and inquired - no cost to plug in and charge a car. They even have a guy to make sure that only coal powered cars park there. So I asked where I can top off my gas tank. He replied “Huh, waddya mean?”
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 01:18 AM

Coal keeps the lights on, God bless the Miners!!

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
At the big hospital in civilization they have 8 spots in the parking deck with charging cables. I checked them out and inquired - no cost to plug in and charge a car. They even have a guy to make sure that only coal powered cars park there. So I asked where I can top off my gas tank. He replied “Huh, waddya mean?”

The power companies got a grant to put up a couple of fast chargers in Alaska. The EV's drivers at least have to pay the going rate for electricity from those chargers we bought for THEM.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 02:01 AM

The vast majority of young people today are on board with the new green energy.
It is the future.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
It is the future.

That's because there stupid and will inadvertently because of their indoctrination, drag us down to their dreamed up utopia. Coal keeps the light on!!
Posted By: run

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Coal keeps the lights on, God bless the Miners!!

Yes sir!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 03:02 AM

It is the future.

The vast majority of young people today are also living in Mom and Dad's basement or Grandmas basement and don't leave the house.
That is the future too.
No wind and no sun is no power.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 03:15 AM

It is the future.

I'm not sure about "the vast majority", but a huge percentage on young people are pretty ignorant. They will be in for a big disappointment when they decide to take their green car on a cross country trip, or on a fairly long drive during the winter to a ski area.

I am planning to profit off this ignorance.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 03:35 AM

It is the future.

I'm pretty sure this vast majority wants to eliminate our dependance on foreign ( Canadian ) oil.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
It is the future.

I'm not sure about "the vast majority", but a huge percentage on young people are pretty ignorant.

I was one of those young people once, but I was smart enough to know how ignorant I was. I was in a high school civics class in 1971 when our civics teacher was so excited that the voting age was being changed from 21 to 18. She was explaining how we now had a duty and responsibility to get out and vote. I argued that neither I, nor anyone else in this room, had any business casting a vote in the upcoming election. We had little interest in politics and were far more focused on what's for lunch and where the party was going to be on Friday night.

I thought I was right at the time, and now 50+ years later I know I was right. If anything the voting age should have been changed from 21 to 25, as you are just beginning to understand long term consequences by then.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 03:44 AM

A miner that works with my Son has done several cross country trips in his tesla over the last several years-no problems at all.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 04:30 AM

See I think different, I think we should open more refineries but import coal, oil, gas etc. We have no shortage of money, we need to save our stuff in case we ever really need it. Wind should be perma banned forever, solar and nuclear are good. Pretty standard for EV fast chargers to charge the going rate for electricity in my experience. At the house its $12 for 250 miles, at the fast chargers typically its like $15 for 200 miles. No matter what though if the amount of EVs ever cross a certain threshold the only thing that will happen is the big power plants will just raise the rates to match close to what they were getting before EVs.
Posted By: run

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
It is the future.

I'm pretty sure this vast majority wants to eliminate our dependance on foreign ( Canadian ) oil.

Wow, great comeback! Dirt.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MattLA
See I think different, I think we should open more refineries but import coal, oil, gas etc. We have no shortage of money, we need to save our stuff in case we ever really need it. Wind should be perma banned forever, solar and nuclear are good. Pretty standard for EV fast chargers to charge the going rate for electricity in my experience. At the house its $12 for 250 miles, at the fast chargers typically its like $15 for 200 miles. No matter what though if the amount of EVs ever cross a certain threshold the only thing that will happen is the big power plants will just raise the rates to match close to what they were getting before EVs.

Where does all this money come from for consuming stuff?

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 04:18 PM

Does anybody remember when an American made product was banned from selling to the free market?

"After 40-year ban, U.S. starts exporting crude oil"

"Since Congress Lifted Crude Export Ban in 2015, US has Dropped ‘Climate Bomb’ on the World" smile

It was the same time your government went into the oil storage business.

BTW the money comes from productive free enterprise activities conducted in the U.S. that generate profits. Or the promise to service loans, based off the profitability of these enterprises. Or creating money and devaluing the current money.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 04:32 PM

It is the future.

No they want to eliminate the dependance on all oil,foreign and domestic.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 04:36 PM

Where's that oil from the keystone XL come from? What Canadian company isn't building it?

"Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had also supported the pipeline and said "we are disappointed but acknowledge the president's decision" to cancel the permit to build it."

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/19/22 04:39 PM

The kids dont want any oil.

Oil bad - green good.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 04:27 AM

A miner that works with my Son has done several cross country trips in his tesla over the last several years-no problems at all.

Haven't you guys been on lock-down for the past few years?

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 05:55 AM

LOL,No.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 09:12 AM

Wait until they get the ice engines out of the market and then pass a mileage tax.Can't keep up the roads without the tax money.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 11:39 AM

Oil bad - green good.

There is room for both, and some of each is a good thing. They are going to have to come to grips with that, because their current pipe dream of eliminating fossil fuels ain't going to happen.
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Wait until they get the ice engines out of the market and then pass a mileage tax.Can't keep up the roads without the tax money.

right, EV drivers/hybrids been short changing the system all this time, last fuel tax increase in NH was 6 cent/gal & the state troopers retirement fund latched right onto that. roughly half the revenue. info straight from our police chief.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 11:59 AM

Oil bad - green good.

That’s the problem, kids are making political policy.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 12:44 PM

And China and India are building a coal plant a week and have committed to do this for many more years.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 01:18 PM

I WANT all my vehicles powered by fairy dust and unicorn pee, but that aint happening either.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
I WANT all my vehicles powered by fairy dust and unicorn pee, but that aint happening either.

I'm pretty sure if farmers grew fairy dust and raised unicorns the USDA would get a law passed that we have to make bio diesel out of the fairy dust and put unicorn pee in U.S. gasoline.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by nh toe pincher
Originally Posted by Drifter

right, EV drivers/hybrids been short changing the system all this time, last fuel tax increase in NH was 6 cent/gal & the state troopers retirement fund latched right onto that. roughly half the revenue. info straight from our police chief.

You understand that when you charge up at a station, you pay tax right? Its just silly because a mileage tax isnt even equivalent to the fuel tax each state may pass. You also really overestimate how many EVs there are....its less then 4M out of like 228M licensed drivers.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 05:21 PM

Already in the process. road tax
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 05:58 PM

The metropolis of rogers city has had 2 charging stations for over a year now wouldn't have noticed them but they have green lights so i'm thinking Christmas No the future is here Well couple years ago our major and only intersection in town was changed to a 4 way stop cause the city couldn't afford the electricity for the old red/ green light
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 08:15 PM

Where's that oil from the keystone XL come from? What Canadian company isn't building it?

"Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had also supported the pipeline and said "we are disappointed but acknowledge the president's decision" to cancel the permit to build it."

Whats more important is "Where is it going".
just
Posted By: charles

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 08:20 PM

Never needed less electricity or less reliable electricity. Don't need an electric car yet.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by AKAjust

just

I believe it ends up in Texas, then refined in the number 1 refining country in the world, then shipped to customers world wide to the highest bidder.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/20/22 11:44 PM

They want a pipeline from Alberta to BC to a seaport but the Indians wont let them.
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 11:06 AM

at a charging station, yes, at home, no.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 11:08 AM

I was on a job the other day in DeSoto KS. A western suburb of Kansas City. They have started the dirt work for an electric car battery plant.
Posted By: spjones

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 11:35 AM

One of the biggest problem today, the kids(and some adults) actually think electric cars grow on tree’s

Even Elon musk(owner/brains behind largest EV maker) sezs we need more oil

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-says-world-needs-more-oil-and-gas-11661772916

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I was on a job the other day in DeSoto KS. A western suburb of Kansas City. They have started the dirt work for an electric car battery plant.

Like these wind farms around here, probably funded at taxpayer expense.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 12:03 PM

Probably trapdog1. Its being built on federally owned property. An old army ammo plant. Have already spent many millions, likely a billion, just on clean up of hazardous waste

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 12:05 PM

About 30 years ago a developer was trying to buy the property and build an amusement park called oz. Somehow that never happened.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by nh toe pincher
at a charging station, yes, at home, no.

When the federal government pays for distribution and transmission systems instead of the electric companies the electrical users do not pay for these upgrades through their electric bills.

“reduce electricity costs for families and businesses"

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 04:10 PM

Probably trapdog1. Its being built on federally owned property. An old army ammo plant. Have already spent many millions, likely a billion, just on clean up of hazardous waste

The army had a small aircraft communications site here and other remote areas of Alaska back in the 40's -50's. They have been involved in super fund clean ups here for over a decade. The latest is a repeat of the clean up of an old dump site that the river washed 90% away over 30 years ago. What was left the first time was dug up and the metal was reburied in a different spot in the area and the dirt was bagged and hauled out of here as hazmat. The excavation was refilled from a high spot in the area with clean dirt. Fast forward 10 years and a new contractor has the contract to clean up this dump and remove the contaminated dirt. 90% of the old dump is river bed and he has dug up the the spot that was filled in 10 years ago with clean dirt and bagged it up. He has sent equipment into the over 100 year old forest surrounding the site to scrape dirt off the surface to fill more bags of clean dirt. This will eventually be ship to town on river boats as hazmat. I wonder if I will live long enough to see the third clean up? You can't make this stuff up!

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 04:28 PM

Most of the wooden buildings, and there were hundreds, had asbestos siding Dirt. I worked there for a few years but it had been in continuous operation since WWII. I hauled stuff. All kinds of stuff. Both on site (over a hundred square miles) and off. One of my jobs was to pump out the sump under the buildings manufacturing nitro guanidine. Acid was used to produce the stuff and watered down acid collected in these sumps. I hauled it out to ponds on site and dumped it in. The ponds all had a liner and the fire dept (they had their own) would then put baking soda in it to neutralize the acid. The banks of the ponds looked like they were surrounded with styrofoam. Other waste was dumped on site also. I could write a chapter.

Feds were talking about clean up in the early 90's and the guy wanting to build the amusement park was willing to pay going rate per acre cost of the property to help off set clean up cost.

Panasonic is building the EV battery plant there. Nobody is reporting on all the incentives to get them to do it but here is the big d spend money version
https://shawneemissionpost.com/2022/11/02/panasonic-groundbreaking-sunflower-ammo-185908/
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 04:33 PM

The army had a small I believe radar station here and other remote areas of Alaska back in the 40's -50's. They have been involved in super fund clean ups here for over a decade. The latest is a repeat of the clean up of an old dump site that the river washed 90% away over 30 years ago. What was left the first time was dug up and the metal was reburied in a different spot in the area and the dirt was bagged and hauled out of here as hasmat. The excavation was refilled from a high spot in the area with clean dirt. Fast forward 10 years and a new contractor has the contract to clean up this dump and remove the contaminated dirt. 90% of the old dump is river bed and he has dug up the the spot that was filled in 10 years ago with clean dirt and bagged it up. He has sent equipment into the over 100 year old forest surrounding the site to scrape dirt off the surface to fill more bags of clean dirt. This will eventually be ship to town on river boats as hasmat. I wonder if I will live long enough to see the third clean up? You can't make this stuff up!

I live near the Tar Creek SuperFund site... Several years ago some folks visited my parent's house and asked my mom for permission to test the gravel in her driveway. They were checking for lead contamination... The story was that a lot of the gravel in this area was taken from the tailings at the lead/zinc mines in Picher.

Wouldn't you know it? They found lead. And fortunately they had a program where a contractor would come by and clean up the old gravel and replace it with new, safe, lead-free gravel... All at no cost to my folks. Federal government was picking up the tab.

Was there really lead in mom and dad's driveway gravel? I don't know. But I would bet that if you're getting paid to find lead, you're going to find it a lot of the time.

The real question is... Did the gravel from my folks driveway get used to "remediate" someone else's driveway after testing revealed lead at another spot?

Surely with federal tax dollars being thrown at the problem with little oversight there wouldn't be any shenanigans going on.

Mike

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 05:06 PM

Mike, they are still hauling manufactured sand from Picher all over the place and putting it in asphalt. Bingham sand and gravel still sits there right on the KS OK line. Binghams doesn't have trucks anymore but that sand and gravel is absolutely still being used. Get on Google earth . Follow the HWY north out of Pitcher. Binghams is on the KS side of the line. Some of there stockpile is on the south side of the border. Yes. Right now as you read this.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 05:09 PM

I just looked. Google still shows the flint rock plant that is manufacturing sand from those tailings and is being used in asphalt. So your right. No shenanigans here.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 05:10 PM

Did they ever clean up the Love Canal?
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 05:23 PM

Mike, they are still hauling manufactured sand from Picher all over the place and putting it in asphalt. Bingham sand and gravel still sits there right on the KS OK line. Binghams doesn't have trucks anymore but that sand and gravel is absolutely still being used. Get on Google earth . Follow the HWY north out of Pitcher. Binghams is on the KS side of the line. Some of there stockpile is on the south side of the border. Yes. Right now as you read this.

Danny, about a month or two ago my wife and I were coming back from Joplin. Just for fun I exited off 44 at the state line and took the back roads through Baxter Springs towards Miami. Got between Quapaw and Commerce and on a whim decided to take a spin through Picher just to see what was left...

Drove through Picher and crossed the state line there at the town on the KS side... Treece, I think. Went back through and took the side road to go look at Cardin.

Warning signs and fences everywhere... But plenty of activity still going on commercially. The chat piles are nowhere near as big as they once were... Used to be able to see them from miles away. And looked like there were batch plants operating. Teeter's Asphalt & Paving was one of the names I remember seeing. Their shop is right there in Quapaw.

Looks to me like this "remediation" is just federal funds lining pockets for a select few. "Dangerous lead contaminated tailings" are all of a sudden safe to use.

Mike
Posted By: Squash

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 05:25 PM

Did they ever clean up the Love Canal?

Supposedly they did, took 21 years of a Superfund operation.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 07:33 PM

Electric cars will never be cheaper to operate than they are right now.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 07:55 PM

Some people think all they will have to do will be to plug your car in like it was a lamp or something similar and it will be free.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 08:52 PM

]Where's that oil from the keystone XL come from? What Canadian company isn't building it?

just

I believe it ends up in Texas, then refined in the number 1 refining country in the world, then shipped to customers world wide to the highest bidder.[/quote]

I think so too. That ain't helping lower the price for us at all.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 09:08 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/22/22 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by AKAjust
]Where's that oil from the keystone XL come from? What Canadian company isn't building it?

just

I believe it ends up in Texas, then refined in the number 1 refining country in the world, then shipped to customers world wide to the highest bidder.

I think so too. That ain't helping lower the price for us at all.[/quote]

It would appear the U.S. proxy war in the Ukraine may not be in the best interest of the American people?

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/23/22 03:44 AM

This thread is already hijacked so
With all of Europe nvolved why do you think its a US proxy war?
just

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/23/22 03:43 PM

"The United States has by far provided the most military assistance to Ukraine, more than every other country combined. Many NATO allies, such as Germany and Sweden, have reversed past policies against providing offensive military aid in order to support Ukraine, while the European Union for the first time in its history supplied lethal arms through its institutions."

"This shift in the West’s approach to the war was first signaled on Monday, when Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said the United States’ goals in the war were not only to protect Ukraine as a democratic, sovereign country but also to “weaken” Russia as a military power. This has been obvious for some time, but even some U.S. officials were surprised to hear Austin express the fact so explicitly."

[Linked Image]

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/23/22 08:24 PM

The Idiot announced today another big giveaway to Ukraine.

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/24/22 03:28 AM

All of those other countries must keep plenty of arms to protect themselves if putin takes a notion to annex them too.
Also i'm convinced that we have many times the amount of arms that the others have.
And then again what should we do with old armament?
just

Re: Making those electric cars cheaper to operate - 11/24/22 03:36 AM

China will be on board for a weaker Russia.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums