Home

Got geese?

Posted By: Law Dog

Got geese? - 11/18/22 08:58 PM

Geese will be thick for a few days they look to be thinning out now.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Osky

Re: Got geese? - 11/18/22 09:02 PM

Snows have gone over heavy this last week.
I’ve hunted under incoming masses like that Law… an incredible thing and quite deafening.

Osky
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Got geese? - 11/18/22 10:54 PM

Truly an amazing sight to behold ...
I've hunted them in Illinois as well as Quebec Canada ,and they always amaze me, their sheer numbers ..
Posted By: 160user

Re: Got geese? - 11/18/22 11:43 PM

I have never seen geese like that in my whole life and can only imagine what hunting them would be like. Maybe someday I will get the chance.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 12:00 AM

Hunting them was banned here from 1916 to 1975. (59 years).
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 12:22 AM

I remember the first time I took my son to Arkansas and we saw what I was told was about ten thousand in a field. I stopped the truck and told him to run out there and catch one, lol. He jumped out and hadn’t gone 20yds when he stopped and turned around to look at me as they got up. His eyes were as wide as I’ve seen and he put his hands over his ears! He still talks about that day 15 years later, lol. He was all of 10 maybe.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 12:26 AM

They don’t really fly through here anymore I heard a flock the other in the snow but that’s been it.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 12:34 AM

What a sight and sound!

I have never seen that! When I hunted in the panhandle of Texas late season, they said there were 300,000 in the county. I saw massive flocks and had a great adventure. Cannot imagine what you guys see.

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
I have never seen geese like that in my whole life and can only imagine what hunting them would be like. Maybe someday I will get the chance.

Hour or two north of Regina Sask, mid to late October. Bring a MINIMUM 15 boxes of shells for a 5 day hunt. Good outfitter, pretty affordable.
Solid daily limits, send what you don’t want to the food shelves.

Osky

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 01:33 AM

Please sign me up for 2023!

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by 160user

Hour or two north of Regina Sask, mid to late October. Bring a MINIMUM 15 boxes of shells for a 5 day hunt. Good outfitter, pretty affordable.
Solid daily limits, send what you don’t want to the food shelves.

Osky

Really? You and I may need to talk about that.
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 01:56 AM

So that's where they went!! Here's a bit of a close-up....includes snows, blue geese and a few Canadas.

[Linked Image]

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 01:59 AM

Sure Rob, G&S marina up on Last Mountain Lake. Guys name is Rob. Cabins, transport, dogs, guides, spotters, trailers, couple thousand decoys and sound system etc.
Pack your gun, warm clothes, more warm clothes and plenty of bullets.
If you happen to hit a warm spell toss in a rod and reel. Huge walleyes and awfully big pike in that lake.
Osky

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 03:23 AM

Osky - I was looking for just this type of waterfowl hunt.
Contact made this evening to book for October, 2023.
Thanks!

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
Osky - I was looking for just this type of waterfowl hunt.
Contact made this evening to book for October, 2023.
Thanks!

Let me know what dates we booked! smile

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 05:42 AM

I left word that I can go the third week of October.
How is that for you?
I will be just like the waterfowl - flying in.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 12:29 PM

nice !!! jerry you should have call me i would have driven over
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 12:42 PM

Wow that would be way to much fun. Used to waterfowl hunt here growing up. There no ducks here anymore but a few geese. I have a boat and 3 dozen decoys that haven't been in the water for many years.

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
nice !!! jerry you should have call me i would have driven over

Problem is they would be gone by the time you got here most years sometimes they are here a few days then gone they did stick around longer this year a bit longer.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 02:14 PM

I’ve hunted under incoming masses like that Law… an incredible thing and quite deafening.

Osky

... that sounds like a great way to get crapped on

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Savell

Osky

... that sounds like a great way to get crapped on

Oh you do. When a mass like that comes in it’s like swirling tornado above slowly lowering down. The noise is incredible. The sound system and hand calls can’t be heard. You try to let as many as possible land before going into action. I’ve never pulled the string on that, Rob does and when his gun goes off it’s go time. He always takes first shot towards the center of the spread so all can hear it and it’s barely heard over the din.
I lay there a couple years ago under one of those masses and a snow was literally standing on my legs and another I brushed his feet when I grabbed beside me for the shotgun. Insane noise with one 12” to your right squawking away.
The hardest part is focusing on one bird down the barrel while others are flashing across in between and the entire background is swirling with birds. Hunting snows is crazy fun.
For you guys who may go, you won’t find a harder working outfit. He is very successful because of good gear, good local relationships, and good spotters working every day for you. Those snows are bunching and staging mid Sask after funneling down from the arctic nesting grounds. There are also canadas, cranes, and every imaginable duck as well.
He has a terrific cleaning set up, you set up a cleaning line and rip thru bunches of birds in a hurry. You need to. Plenty of deep freeze freezers and as said what you don’t take home helps out the local food banks.
As a reference the drive is 12 hours from the Minneapolis area.
Osky

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 04:12 PM

Flu is killing them now I can see a dozen sick or dead snows/blues and 50+ that stayed back today when the main flights went out it’s going to be a mess again. I lost 12 of my chickens in 3 days waiting for the test to come back to tell me what I already know.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 04:22 PM

cool
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I remember the first time I took my son to Arkansas and we saw what I was told was about ten thousand in a field. I stopped the truck and told him to run out there and catch one, lol. He jumped out and hadn’t gone 20yds when he stopped and turned around to look at me as they got up. His eyes were as wide as I’ve seen and he put his hands over his ears! He still talks about that day 15 years later, lol. He was all of 10 maybe.

WOW
Posted By: SJA

Re: Got geese? - 11/19/22 05:00 PM

I posted these pics before, but this thread reminded me of the chaos and noise about 50 yards outside my house. Can't get any sleep, can't hear the TV without turning it up high, and when they're through stomping and eating every blade of grass and wheat, they leave a barren mudhole! I hate 'em! mad

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums