Home

Ice fishing

Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Ice fishing - 11/19/22 03:02 AM

I saw two people fishing on a little slough just out of town Wednesday afternoon. I am sure we have had ice earlier but I sure don't remember it. I usually don't plan on good ice until the first of the year. What does everyone else's water look like? I don't think I will trust it yet.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 03:13 AM

[Linked Image]

We had to bust through ice on the bay of a large lake to make it out duck hunting. Everything small is frozen up but I wouldn't try walking on it.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 03:30 AM

There are people ice fishing here. I had -11 at the house a couple days ago. It was 4 this morning. I can usually walk across all the sloughs this time of the year.
Posted By: g smith

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 03:35 AM

Short on mosquitoes here -24 this morning
Posted By: 160user

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 03:35 AM

We shouldn't need extensions on the power augers for at least another week here. Thanksgiving Day ABOUT 1994 or so I was pulling our rental houses on the lake with a 4 WD For Ranger. 6 inches of GOOD ice. No snow so I couldn't turn, stop or steer but it was better than pulling 32 houses on ice skates!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 12:39 PM

I'm going to check it out today I'm sure there are people fishing inland lake , my pond is frozen and deer are walking on it
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 12:58 PM

Some our lakes are still open due to the wind which is alright because of the snow we have been getting. We haven't had good ice for a couple of years. Want to get the tip ups out.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 01:40 PM

[Linked Image]
The guy that let's me fish his pond sent me this
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
I saw two people fishing on a little slough just out of town Wednesday afternoon. I am sure we have had ice earlier but I sure don't remember it. I usually don't plan on good ice until the first of the year. What does everyone else's water look like? I don't think I will trust it yet.

Just waiting for the big lake. LOW, to freeze up so it will quit snowing...Rainy River is getting hard now, in just the last few days.

Auger with cordless drill is in the works for me next.
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 04:41 PM

I'm waiting for a warm up so the lakes and farm ponds open
some of the running water in the creeks is even froze over
I'm sure the ice isn't very thick, would like to do some water
trapping it's unusually cold here for this time of year, we even
have frost in the ground.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 05:03 PM

L
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Some our lakes are still open due to the wind which is alright because of the snow we have been getting. We haven't had good ice for a couple of years. Want to get the tip ups out.

What are the Tip -UPS of choice in Minnesota?

I run some Jack Traps

Beaver Dam tip up

Few Heritage

And some vintage traps from the 1970’s
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
L
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher

What are the Tip -UPS of choice in Minnesota?

I run some Jack Trapser

Beaver Dam tip up

Few Heritage

And some vintage traps from the 1970’s

I think I have 3 different brands. I would have to dig them out to say what they are for sure (go figure). So it doesn't really matter as long as they work and can hold bigger sucker minnows without tripping.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les

Auger with cordless drill is in the works for me next.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 09:02 PM

That's what I use.
Posted By: Striperfred

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 09:21 PM

Bought an adapter for my auger last year and it worked great, however until the end of winter drilling 15” of ice my 20v dewalt wasn’t liking life, for here in pa it will be fine but not sure of the life expectancy if we had real ice like up north.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 09:31 PM

[Linked Image]
This is my 8" hole puncher. I have 4 - 5 AMP batteries and I have never run out of juice before the day was over. The auger is a Strike master, hand auger. It will run through 30" of ice in about 8 seconds. I have a 5" auger for it also that is even easier on batteries if I plan to swiss cheese a crappie lake.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Ice fishing - 11/19/22 09:35 PM

I've managed to drill one or two holes with my set up above, as often with an extension on as not.

My gas augers are feeling a bit unloved lol.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Ice fishing - 11/20/22 01:05 PM

TRAPPERKECK, did you buy the setup

Re: Ice fishing - 11/20/22 01:09 PM

I bought each part separately. The drill, Clam Plate, adapter/extension and the hand auger. It is a spendy setup, but I fished with a couple of guides using this system and it is light, fast and very comfortable to use.

Re: Ice fishing - 11/20/22 09:48 PM

Apparently, it has begun here in central MN.
[Linked Image]
I think, they're nuts! I might try it tomorrow. wink
Posted By: Striperfred

Re: Ice fishing - 11/21/22 11:18 PM

This thread got me going, don’t know what it is about it but love my ice fishing! Anxious to get my new flasher out, unfortunately I have at least a month probably.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Ice fishing - 11/21/22 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
Apparently, it has begun here in central MN.
[Linked Image]
I think, they're nuts! I might try it tomorrow. wink

Holy cow! Our lakes up here are still open. Are they fishing at the sewage treatment plant of what? There isn't even enough ice on my minnow pond to walk on yet.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums