Home

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!!

Posted By: BigBob

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 06:56 AM

66 inches of snow fell on Buffalo, NY, with more coming! crazy
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 09:51 AM

This is why folks that trap appose later season opening dates.
Yeah, they're prime. Where do I park the truck?

Stay safe folks.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 10:44 AM

That would be difficult to deal with, prayers sent.
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 10:56 AM

Lake effect can be brutal. One of the reasons my daughter moved to Florida.
Posted By: Squash

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 10:56 AM

Heavy Lake Effect snow is Nothing new for Buffalo, NY, they’ve been dumped on like that many times in the past. Gov. Hochul has enough hot air to melt all that snow anyway. Besides, where is all that snow coming from, I thought the planet was warming. We received 18” and the lake effect bands have moved north burying Watertown and Fort Drum. They can have it.
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers

Stay safe folks.

Im near Erie and it ruined my trapping plans for now. Bummed out.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
Heavy Lake Effect snow is Nothing new for Buffalo, NY, they’ve been dumped on like that many times in the past. Gov. Hochul has enough hot air to melt all that snow anyway. Besides, where is all that snow coming from, I thought the planet was warming. We received 18” and the lake effect bands have moved north burying Watertown and Fort Drum. They can have it.

Yes an unusually warm lake temperature in the 50's with cold SW wind blowing across it is the culprit. So the warm weather is to blame.
Posted By: run

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 12:28 PM

That's more snow than I want!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 12:32 PM

yes they are getting dump on up here by lake affect , glad I'm south of it
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 12:58 PM

It's crazy.. South Buffalo to Hamburg area got hammered, but North Buffalo and northwards only got a dusting.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 01:37 PM

When I was living in Spearfish SD in 96 Lead SD got 95 inches of show in one storm. It was over the top of the stop signs.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob

Not that impressed with that 24 hour total.

Lewis County, NY's Sear's Pond in Town of Montague has the NYS 24 hour snowfall record at 77" inches
and that's tied with Silver Creek, Colorado also at 77" inches.

Just saying !! laugh

walleyed
Posted By: trapper les

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 01:52 PM

Folks will probably have to trap accordingly....

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 01:56 PM

Imagine being a young of the year fox or whatever animal that's never even seen snow, and waking up to that. That much snow has got to be tough on the critters too.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 02:39 PM

Not so much as a flake here in last couple days, sunshine, love it.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Imagine being a young of the year fox or whatever animal that's never even seen snow, and waking up to that. That much snow has got to be tough on the critters too.

yet there is still animals in deep snow areas.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 02:53 PM

Watched some news clips of equipment struggling to even move in all that. One thing in common.....no chains.

Moved from town to country a few years back and needed equipment to clear my own road. 70HP tractor, but 2wd. First BIG snow.......close to 20 inches.......got tractor out and it came to a dead stop 20 feet from the barn. Would not budge. Forward or back. Worked myself back to the barn by scooting tractor backwards with front bucket.......1 foot at a time.

Solution? Tractor tire chains. Put those on and something is going to move. Putting chains on tractor now an annual event. Sometime after thanksgiving, pick a warm day and chains go on, and stay on till March.

Second trick.......tractor blade now fitted with 2 inch steel pipe on blade edge. Will not dig and gouge gravel or grass......skims along.......pinches snow to pop up to be rolled off to the side. The two combined will handle anything MO is ever going to get.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 02:58 PM

That would suck, one thing about chains is some of the new tires can’t handle riding on chains, the road graders around here have that problem that the tires can be ruined by running chains and the reason they use those tires is that they do get better traction without chains, but if you’re having problems you just use them.
Posted By: EdP

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 03:19 PM

I remember the storms in the winter of "77-"78. We lived in Akron Ohio at the time and got hit pretty hard but the news showed the snow in Buffalo and they got clobbered. A guy had dug out his full size Ford Bronco. He had no where to go but had shoveled it clear to the pavement and the surrounding snow was well above the Bronco roof.

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Originally Posted by Squash

Yes an unusually warm lake temperature in the 50's with cold SW wind blowing across it is the culprit. So the warm weather is to blame.

Lake Ontario rarely if ever freezes over, too deep, so it’s always warmer than the air temp in winter. So climate change has little to do with it. We had heavier lake effect snowfalls in the 50’s and 60’s. It’s just how the Lake Ontario Lake Effect machine works, and always will.

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les

yet there is still animals in deep snow areas.

Oh I know. Critters are tough and nothing if not resilient. Would still think SOME must succumb to weather like that.
Posted By: dinorocks

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 04:22 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 04:25 PM

I'll take Tonawandas 4
Posted By: Boco

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers

Stay safe folks.

You park the truck and get out the skidoo.
Deep snow restricts animals movements and hunting sucess making them easier to catch.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 05:24 PM

That is why the most northern areas of the North American Continent that have whitetail deer Canada and Maine have huge whitetail deer because only the most fit and healthy animals live in those conditions .And as a rule because the amount of prey species is less the amount of predator spies is also less
Posted By: BigBob

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay
Watched some news clips of equipment struggling to even move in all that. One thing in common.....no chains.

Moved from town to country a few years back and needed equipment to clear my own road. 70HP tractor, but 2wd. First BIG snow.......close to 20 inches.......got tractor out and it came to a dead stop 20 feet from the barn. Would not budge. Forward or back. Worked myself back to the barn by scooting tractor backwards with front bucket.......1 foot at a time.

Solution? Tractor tire chains. Put those on and something is going to move. Putting chains on tractor now an annual event. Sometime after thanksgiving, pick a warm day and chains go on, and stay on till March.

Second trick.......tractor blade now fitted with 2 inch steel pipe on blade edge. Will not dig and gouge gravel or grass......skims along.......pinches snow to pop up to be rolled off to the side. The two combined will handle anything MO is ever going to get.

We hope!

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 06:55 PM

Ok Boco.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 07:41 PM

Think they'll have a snow day?

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 11:27 PM

Orchard Park 77" ?
Said FB.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob

Global warming
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 11:52 PM

I think of retarded stuff like that too!
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/19/22 11:52 PM

Stay safe folks.[/quote]
Im near Erie and it ruined my trapping plans for now. Bummed out.[/quote]

How much did Erie get?

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/20/22 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

I think of retarded stuff like that too!

Hey!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/20/22 03:03 AM

No, a red fox can handle -60°

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/20/22 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20

No, a red fox can handle -60°

I imagine it would be easier to handle cold temps than 6' of snow.
Posted By: Boco

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/20/22 03:37 PM

Pack er down.
Posted By: oh trap

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/20/22 04:13 PM

Fishing buddy lives a half mile from the Buffalo stadium in orchard park they had 6 feet as of 6 o'clock last night . with 12 to 16 inches forecast for overnite.. Im sure he'll text more pictures today

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/20/22 06:13 PM

Nothing new for western NY, they’ve lived threw lake effect like this before. It’s just people are more and more less self reliant today. Just watched news report about it, showed cars covered in snow with the street plowed, and reporter said, she didn’t know how they would get the cars out. Jesh, All it takes is a snow shovel, walk behind snowblower, and some ambition.
Posted By: spjones

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/20/22 06:48 PM

Video from the 70’s warning us of the up coming ice age. Oh the horror!lol

https://twitter.com/backtolife_2023/status/1593557511667318785
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/20/22 07:11 PM

9 Beer Cans high !!

[Linked Image]

Re: HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!! - 11/20/22 07:32 PM

Good thing it wasn’t a 30 pack storm.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums