Home

Using EVERY Part of an Animal.......

Posted By: trappingthomas

Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 05:52 PM

Years ago I had a series of real estate deals with a Hmong family. The father fought on our side during the Vietnam War and was relocated to Detroit along with his mother and many other Hmong when things did not end our way. He loves this country and his family are good people.

Anyway I invited two of his sons out to the farm to hunt deer one day. It was a successful hunt with the oldest son, Si Vong, getting a nice size doe. As it was obvious I was the only one carrying a knife I offered to field dress it for him. Both brothers spoke at once saying no thank you they would bring it home to grandmother and father to clean. They stressed in their culture "nothing" goes to waste. I did not ask for details and helped them load it in their vehicle.

I have had many meals with them in their homes but was never served anything more exotic than pigeon (which I had had before). Everything they ever served me was delicious.

I am guessing all organs and maybe even intestines were consumed. Anyone else with some insight? Anyone else feel they use everything you can from a harvested animal?

Just a memory that popped into my mind last night when the only animal in sight, while deer hunting, was a wandering muskrat.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 05:55 PM

Always wondered about eating the lungs, never been that hungry.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 05:59 PM

Yeah I'm not thinking lung would be tasty
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 06:04 PM

They may wash the intestines and use them as sausage casing. But no, I definitely do not use everything from the deer. I don't do organ meat.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 06:24 PM

My son's cow lost a calf last night that was too big to pass. After the vet extracted it to save the cow, she said he could save the placenta to sell to folks from India. They would eat it. I know other cultures eat stuff we wouldn't ever consider, but that is a whole new level. Gross.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 06:29 PM

Most dealing I have had with the Hmong, they cook most everything whole, fur on, guts in, over open flame. Then peel off the outside pull out the inside and go to eating.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 06:30 PM

There's an old country expression about pig farming: Use everything but the Oink!
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Most dealing I have had with the Hmong, they cook most everything whole, fur on, guts in, over open flame. Then peel off the outside pull out the inside and go to eating.

Could explain the squirrel poachers nabbed in Missouri.
471, whole and charred over a fire!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 07:13 PM

My ancestors came to America in the days before the American revolution . I am descendent from people that called Germany and Switzerland their home .But I grew up on a farm in PA .We butchered our own livestock for our annual meat supply Steers pigs and chickens where alwys in the freezer Butchering weekend was Thanksgiving weekend Many neighbors and family would come out to help .And generally some of them would have their own livestock already at our farm So it was a family butchering event We used and cooked and frze and cured anything you would find on the animal .Pig feet, pigs stomach, pigs intestines, where used to make sausage tripe (beef stomach, hog brains, liver, heart, pigs ears. and pickled tongue all went home with someone .Also the beef tail was used as stew meat .Sometimes the bones would be ccoked with the other scrape meat to add to the pudding and ponhaus .This would have been in the early 1960,s I would not be all that interested in eating many of those various animal parts anymore .The only exception would be ponhaus I like well some well made ponhaus .A good recipe and properly cooked it is still something I like occasionally . But at that time if it was OK to eat than sometime down the road it was on the table and it was called supper . Another thing that was ate aby some people was hog cracklins .That was a by product of pressing the fat on a pig to obtain lard And the remained pig skin rines where either used as dog food o r in some case eaten by people .I have always been thin AND i do not over eat as a rule When Mom was making meals for the whole family her only rule was What I MAKE IS THE MEAL DO NOT ASK FOR SOMETHING DIFERENT BECAUSE YOU DO'N'T LIKE IT . EAT SOME VEGATABLES OR SOMETHING ELSE NOW I would pass on most of the off beat items that became our meals
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Mongeau
My son's cow lost a calf last night that was too big to pass. After the vet extracted it to save the cow, she said he could save the placenta to sell to folks from India. They would eat it. I know other cultures eat stuff we wouldn't ever consider, but that is a whole new level. Gross.

I guess it's all in what you're used to & brought up with
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP

Could explain the squirrel poachers nabbed in Missouri.
471, whole and charred over a fire!
[Linked Image]

I’ve seen them in MO doing this. They were being checked by an agent. Sounds like a firefight when they go through the woods.
Posted By: trappingthomas

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
There's an old country expression about pig farming: Use everything but the Oink!

Makes you realize how lucky you were to be "living high on the hog"!
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 08:43 PM

Coyotes gotta eat too!
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by trappingthomas
Years ago I had a series of real estate deals with a Hmong family. The father fought on our side during the Vietnam War and was relocated to Detroit along with his mother and many other Hmong when things did not end our way. He loves this country and his family are good people.

Anyway I invited two of his sons out to the farm to hunt deer one day. It was a successful hunt with the oldest son, Si Vong, getting a nice size doe. As it was obvious I was the only one carrying a knife I offered to field dress it for him. Both brothers spoke at once saying no thank you they would bring it home to grandmother and father to clean. They stressed in their culture "nothing" goes to waste. I did not ask for details and helped them load it in their vehicle.

I have had many meals with them in their homes but was never served anything more exotic than pigeon (which I had had before). Everything they ever served me was delicious.

I am guessing all organs and maybe even intestines were consumed. Anyone else with some insight? Anyone else feel they use everything you can from a harvested animal?

Just a memory that popped into my mind last night when the only animal in sight, while deer hunting, was a wandering muskrat.

The only part I dont use is the guts, but like the stomach, the pee and poop stuff I get all that out and save it. I save all the bones, the fur, the claws and feet. Etc.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Using EVERY Part of an Animal....... - 11/19/22 09:36 PM

I return a fair bit to the food chain.
Helps the carrying capacity of the land.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums