Home

Jackpot connects.

Posted By: Boco

Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 12:17 AM

Set up a jackpot the other day with an old beaver ribcage.
A cat found it.

[Linked Image]

Picked up this yolk too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 12:26 AM

Well done Boco.

Is a "jackpot" a location where you've always caught a critter?

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 12:36 AM

Jackpot is a big bait gang set with snares.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 01:22 AM

Nice!

Marten are one of my favorite critters.

What are Lynx expected to bring on auction?

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 01:53 AM

I dont know,I have a strong private market for cats.Tanning cost has gone up a bit though.
I only ship any A-B bellies to auction and the odd big taxi skinned cat if there are going to be taxidermists at the auction..
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Jackpot is a big bait gang set with snares.

Oh ok. That makes sense. Thanks for explaining.
Posted By: Sharon

Marten colours are so rich in snow. No matter what tone they sport.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Very Nice

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 01:55 AM

Seen a nice dark cherry red fox yesterday-man no animal looks prettier than a dk red fox in the snow.

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 01:59 AM

I thought of red fox too, along with marten . They both are stunning in winter.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 02:04 AM

Your a very good trapper.

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 02:04 AM

[Linked Image]

Here is a better pic of that beaver house Sharon.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Seen a nice dark cherry red fox yesterday-man no animal looks prettier than a dk red fox in the snow.

I agree, my favorite furbearer to see in the snow.

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 02:11 AM

Oh I see it so much better now…man that’s a nice tall one. Looks like their food stash can be seen just in front a bit to the left, if I’m not mistaken.

It looks really large from that distance.

Thank you for the update , Boco , keep your stick on the ice !

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 02:14 AM

Yes that is the feed bed in front.It goes all the way around both sides.

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 02:17 AM

Wow, sounds like they worked hard to have it easy this winter.

I wonder how thick they fortified the walls on one that size. I bet nothing short of a griz or wolverine would be able to put a dent in it now, with snow and ice froze on top too.

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 02:34 AM

From what I understand,beavers will keep piling sticks,grass and mud on their house and then make the inside hollow bigger.As they chew and dig out the inside,they pile stuff on the outside.The walls are a couple feet thick.No predator here can get into a frozen beaver house in winter,but bears and wolverines can dig into them in summer and fall.
Some years when winter is extremely long and the beaver run out of feed,the beaver will chew out of his house.They chew out the breathing hole which they leave mud free.

In years when beaver have to chew out of their houses in April,and venture out on the crust to cut feed, the wolves take advantage and will ambush the beaver.I as well as other trappers are familiar with the big red splotches on the crust near beaver houses in years when the beaver are forced to chew out.

it is interesting to observe.The beaver dont stay out longer than necessary to cut the feed,and they always cut the closest willow to the hole.Then they drag the feed to the house and eat inside.
often I have placed a trap over the chew out hole and caught the beaver.They are invariably in poor condition with their vertebrae sticking up on their backs,you can feel the bumps with the palm of your hand.

Trappers who trap beaver in winter always want to distinguish between a live house and a dead house before they start work.
A good give away is the shape of the house under the snow.Pointy houses are almost always live houses.older dead houses are more dome shaped because the hollow inside has collapsed.Then you can confirm by checking for heat coming out of the breathing hole on top.If you reach into the snow on top of the house and you can pack it into a ball,there is heat in the house.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is a bit of an oddity-4 live beaver houses in close proximity.
[Linked Image]

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 02:49 AM

How much of this vast population of people on the earth have no idea of animal behavior, much less able to predict their actions to weather .

It is sad that so many loose out of such education in life, even afraid of going into wilderness, preferring instead to stay in the cities.

I didn’t know they carve out the inside walls and keep piling it on the outside. No wonder the lodge gets so big after a while . They not only build to suit, but also do additions ! It pays to gather enough food to last a long winter.

Neat info, Boco.
Posted By: g smith

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 04:09 AM

A great trip ! i liked the scenery . Thanks Boco
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 04:15 AM

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 05:12 AM

Appreciate your kindly sharing of pics and knowledge . Enjoy it all!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 10:02 AM

Boco,
Your posts are fun to tag along on! Thanks for the ride alongs. 4 Bev houses that close together should have a bunch of activity and sharp sticks everywhere, so concentrate man, concentrate. Reel 'em in for Jackpot bait stations and then reel more in.

I can smell your camp fire from here brother!

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 12:03 PM

great read boco thanks
Posted By: Mac

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 12:10 PM

Thanks for sharing Boco. Great pictures, lots of great information.

Mac
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 12:44 PM

when it started snowing up there, it has really piled up. I enjoy keeping up with your trapping journey this winter. Keep after em and stay warm.
Posted By: cattails

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 01:30 PM

[quote=Boco]From what I understand,beavers will keep piling sticks,grass and mud on their house and then make the inside hollow bigger.As they chew and dig out the inside,they pile stuff on the outside.

What a great and informative post Boco. This information caught my attention. I spent the summer improving some beaver habitat on land that I own. I could see where a beaver started feeding, so.... I starting throwing poplars in the water, about 4 inch at the base, 20 ft tall. What I found interesting was almost overnight it would have most of it underwater . The water seems to be a preservative as the leaves were still green weeks later under water. Then throughout the next weeks it used those underwater limbs to build a feed pile.
At the same time it fed on the larger 4 inch pieces throwing the waste on top of the fresh feed pile to keep the feed pile under water (the preservative).
Posted By: Posco

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 02:11 PM

Very insightful, Robert, good stuff. I've come across a couple houses in the past two or three years the bears decided to tear into. It made me wonder whether they were looking for a meal or a place to den.
[Linked Image]

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 03:53 PM

I always wonder how sucessful a bear is when digging into a beaver house,obviously the beaver can exit the house when spooked and hole up in a bank den or feed hole.
Likely the bear hangs around and gets a beaver when they start repairing the damage to the house.

I have seen where Otter will use an old dead beaver house as a rest over den.A lot of these old houses have a hole,perhaps dug by an animal or the old hole where beaver had chewed out in April.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 03:55 PM

Lots of otter caught going in and OUT beaver lodges

Re: Jackpot connects. - 11/20/22 04:03 PM

Yes 330,setting old entrance runs,channells and dambreaks at old abandoned beaver ponds are paydirt for otter.
Also catch otter in runs and entrances at active beaver ponds.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums