Home

How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging?

Posted By: NonPCfed

How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 02:26 AM

We heard before Halloween that U.S. diesel inventory was down to record lows-- "only 25 days left"!! But then the story seemed to have dropped out of the news cycle (if it ain't bleeding, its not leading...). I haven't heard much about it since.

Of course, the U.S. makes diesel everyday but demand was outpacing supply so that's were the got the notion that only so many days left. It appears doing a quick search of recent news articles that diesel supplies have increased a bit but still could be pretty vulnerable to unexpected "shocks" to the system. And diesel making is tightly interwoven with "heating oil" and kerosene (jet fuel being fairly similar to kerosene). So, how's it going out there using all this stuff...?

https://www.newsweek.com/diesel-supplies-will-barely-make-through-winter-prices-skyrocket-1759229
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 02:38 AM

The '25 days left' is just an equational average of some kind. If '25 days left' it would probably take months to run out.
Maybe someone can explain the equation for us
Posted By: Marty

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 03:26 AM

there is probably always 25 days left but more is produced each day. both sides lie for votes.
Posted By: cohunt

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 03:36 AM

The report I read stated that the current 25 day supply was the lowest level in inventory since the index was created in 1972. As old refineries continue to be shuttered and no new ones are even scheduled for construction in the US, the problem is likely tp worsen.

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 03:51 AM

The report I read stated that the current 25 day supply was the lowest level in inventory since the index was created in 1972.

Yeah, the calculation goes way back and the low stock is real.

As with many problems, there are usually multiple drivers affecting things. Fewer refineries in operation (the newer lower sulfur formula of diesel is part of this), an overall larger domestic population--we've gained well over a 100 million people since 1980, and exporting diesel to Europe to try to make up for little-to-no Russian oil coming into their refineries. Witches brews have many ingredients...
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 04:49 AM

We have an ample supply of fossilized dinosaur juice.
Stored in multiple locations we have heating oil, off-road diesel, and on-road diesel.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 04:58 AM

Made me fill up a 500 gallon bull tank at $5.00 dollars a gallon. Then I find out it's 25 days if they quit all production. Fox news can shove it like all the rest.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 06:51 AM

Was delivered off-road just the other day.

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 03:02 PM

Well, Trapper 5123, you might have some good barter stock if push comes to shove. Hang in there...
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 03:05 PM

Can also say without lying retail outlets only have a 3 day supply of groceries
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 03:09 PM

Part of what’s helping the situation is most field work is ending here in the north and is probably slowing in the rest of the USA, so ag use is getting less but heating oil usage will be going up.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper5123
Made me fill up a 500 gallon bull tank at $5.00 dollars a gallon. Then I find out it's 25 days if they quit all production. Fox news can shove it like all the rest.

Remember the run on toilet paper? That's how you run out of diesel supplies too and cause the price to increase. Yellow journalism.

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 04:23 PM

"Strong demand for ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) in October, combined with reduced global production, has resulted in lower ULSD inventories in the United States. ULSD is the most widely consumed form of distillate fuel oil.

Current inventories and our current estimate of future demand can be combined into a metric called days of supply, which is calculated by dividing the inventory (in barrels) by the estimated demand (in barrels per day) to get the number of days that inventories alone could meet demand. In October 2022, the United States had 25 days of supply of distillate, the fewest since 2008. U.S. days of supply between 2017 and 2021 averaged 34 days. U.S. inventories of distillate fuel oil have been below the previous five-year (2017–21) low since the start of 2022.

Days of supply, however, is not a complete snapshot of distillate fuel oil availability because it doesn’t take into account production, imports, or any sources of supply other than inventories."

Source: EIA

Real internut journalist give sources and not opinion. smile
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
We heard before Halloween that U.S. diesel inventory was down to record lows-- "only 25 days left"!! But then the story seemed to have dropped out of the news cycle (if it ain't bleeding, its not leading...). I haven't heard much about it since.

Of course, the U.S. makes diesel everyday but demand was outpacing supply so that's were the got the notion that only so many days left. It appears doing a quick search of recent news articles that diesel supplies have increased a bit but still could be pretty vulnerable to unexpected "shocks" to the system. And diesel making is tightly interwoven with "heating oil" and kerosene (jet fuel being fairly similar to kerosene). So, how's it going out there using all this stuff...?

https://www.newsweek.com/diesel-supplies-will-barely-make-through-winter-prices-skyrocket-1759229

Probably fake news

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
The report I read stated that the current 25 day supply was the lowest level in inventory since the index was created in 1972.

Yeah, the calculation goes way back and the low stock is real.

As with many problems, there are usually multiple drivers affecting things. Fewer refineries in operation (the newer lower sulfur formula of diesel is part of this), an overall larger domestic population--we've gained well over a 100 million people since 1980, and exporting diesel to Europe to try to make up for little-to-no Russian oil coming into their refineries. Witches brews have many ingredients...

"But the primary reason is the cutoff of Russian imports. Prior to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the U.S. was importing nearly 700,000 barrels per day (BPD) of petroleum and petroleum products. Most of those imports were finished products and refinery inputs that boosted distillate supplies in the U.S."

Mazut - 100
Posted By: Marty

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 05:02 PM

it is a crazee world full of SPIN.....
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
there is probably always 25 days left but more is produced each day. both sides lie for votes.
Here's your answer , Drama and lies from both sides.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 06:11 PM

Marty is correct due to diesel exports, demand and lack of concern from our gov there is a 25 day reserve used to be a 100 day reserve based on in case of a catastrophic failure there would be x amount of fuel oil left

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 06:26 PM

Staying ahead of the petroleum market has been beneficial for us for decades.
We buy when prices drop and use when it is high.
We always buy heating oil in July.

Trapper5123 should be happy when diesel costs above $5 per gallon.
Is it treated to prevent gelling?
Posted By: Guss

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 08:26 PM

For 5gal. of off road cost me 26.00! just to run the tractor.

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 10:19 PM

Yikes!
The highest I ever paid for off-road diesel was $3.09.
Posted By: run

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 11:08 PM

On road diesel price is $5.49 this morning in dyke, VA. I'm just glad it's available locally.
Posted By: run

Re: How's your non-gasoline liquid fuels a hanging? - 11/20/22 11:12 PM

I actually believe the 25 day supply inventory. Maybe I am off my rocker. But this actually fits the current administration's agenda. Not trying to be political. We live in a crazy world.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums