Home

I hired a homeless guy.

Posted By: Dirt

I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 04:32 PM

Long story. Late October I was at O'hare waiting on a bus. I had flown all night and needed a cup of coffee. Since the rona the coffee shop at the bus shuttle area of O'hare has disappeared. There were a couple of doped up homeless people hitting up people inside for money. I went outside to avoid one of them. A clean normally dressed guy pushing one of those luggage carts approached and asked me to buy him a cup of coffee. Well, I was in desperate need of coffee myself, and responded " I could really use a cup myself" He told me that there was a coffee shop in the Hilton down a ways and across the street. I asked him how much for a cup? He said $4. I figured he might be lying, but what the heck? I gave him $10 and told him to go and get us each a cup of coffee. So off he goes over to the Hilton with his cart and about 10 minutes later he comes walking back with two cups in his hand. One for him and one for me. I thank him and let him keep the change, and he heads back to the Hilton to get his cart.

I felt very good about what happened. Two guys needed a cup of coffee. One guy had the know how and did the work. The other guy had the money. Nobody got anything for free.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 04:44 PM

Except coffee is only $2 a cup. Lol

Ol dad
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 04:49 PM

And he spit in yours
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 05:02 PM

WTG Dirt, that was a win win.
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 05:08 PM

Good job Dirt.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 05:10 PM

"Im gonna hire a wino,,to decorate my home" Wish I could post a link. smile
Posted By: Boco

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 05:55 PM

When I lived in the city way back when I used to get dope addicts to get stuff for me all the time.
Except they had to get it first then I would buy it.
Cant beat good old capitalism eh?
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

That’s a good song upstate, David Frizzell
Posted By: hippie

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 06:48 PM

Good deal, I'm sure he appreciated it as much as you did.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 07:07 PM

It's nice to read a feel good story, thanks for sharing
Posted By: bblwi

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 07:27 PM

Amazing what we can learn about our fellow man for a couple bucks. thank you for sharing not only with us but with the person you hired.

Bryce
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 08:19 PM

I would have switched him cups.......
Posted By: mike mason

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 11:05 PM

Great job! I was doing a job in the city in a dead-end alley. Had the sidewalk coned off and orange snow fence barricade for cars. A guy walks up and said, "you need help", I thought for a second and said "yes, hears $20, don't let anyone come down the alley" I felt better because my back was to the street, and he was happy to keep anyone away.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 11:17 PM

My brother in law runs quite a few crews for a big construction company here near Syracuse.Guy holding sign at an off ramp,,," Will work for food" .Brother in law stops and says hop in.Guys like what you talking about.He says,Im doing siding all day today,,Ill buy you breakfast first,,then lunch on lunch break,,then Ill take you for a real nice steak supper. Sign holding guy told him to &^*()$$### off. Hahahaaa Most of them just want drug money.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 11:24 PM

As long as you didn't wake up after the coffee with a fuzzy brain and craving pudding pops I reckon you did good.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/21/22 11:27 PM

Good on you Dirt, Dont you just wonder what his back story was though?

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Diggerman

No. We made a deal and both came out better for it that morning. We both got what we wanted. I didn't want his life story, I wanted a cup of coffee.
Posted By: run

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 01:41 AM

Good job, Dirt.

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 01:53 AM

Well done dirt-from each according to his ability to each according to his need.
Posted By: g smith

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 03:58 AM

Your encounter with Christ .weather you recognized it or not (you probably did )
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 04:12 AM

My brother in law runs quite a few crews for a big construction company here near Syracuse.Guy holding sign at an off ramp,,," Will work for food" .Brother in law stops and says hop in.Guys like what you talking about.He says,Im doing siding all day today,,Ill buy you breakfast first,,then lunch on lunch break,,then Ill take you for a real nice steak supper. Sign holding guy told him to &^*()$$### off. Hahahaaa Most of them just want drug money.

Truth

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Well done dirt-from each according to his ability to each according to his need.

Really this is how you see what happened? Nothing went from one person to another. Nobody was forced to give anybody anything because of his ability and nobody was given it based on need.

Both wanted something and both worked together to get it. Both had ability. Both were rewarded for their ability.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 05:40 PM

Best panhandling sign I ever saw said, "Have house and job. Need beer and Harley parts."

I hope the dude made a fortune.

Mike
Posted By: cathryn

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 06:19 PM

I'm proud of you.

I help the homeless too.

I've been there ...years and years ago and I know how it feels. To basically have nothing and no where to go.

It's a sad reality but there are good folks on the streets who just need a hand up..not necessarily a hand up.

And I don't care what a person might think... any of us could be in his spot..especially in todays economy
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Diggerman

No. We made a deal and both came out better for it that morning. We both got what we wanted. I didn't want his life story, I wanted a cup of coffee.

It would make me wonder. everybody has a mom and dad, a home at one time. The circumstances that led him to be homeless would be enlightning.

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 09:14 PM

I did not help the homeless. I helped myself. If i didn't need a cup of coffee, I would have sent him packing. Capitalism helped us both.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I did not help the homeless. I help myself. If i didn't need a cup of coffee, I would have sent him packing. Capitalism helped us both.

Capitalism....Dirt , I'd say that's a step in the right direction.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/22/22 11:53 PM

So you’ll feel more at home here and you wont have to roam
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/23/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
I would have switched him cups.......

grin

Re: I hired a homeless guy. - 11/23/22 01:39 AM

Maybe he rinsed his needle in Dirts coffee.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums