Home

Aging venison/ hanging time

Posted By: trap master

Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/21/22 11:44 PM

So the discussion at work today was how long you can hang a deer, outside no temp control. Using the current Temps, 28/30 degrees at night daytime high around 55 degrees. Hide still on. What say you?
Posted By: 160user

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/21/22 11:47 PM

I hang mine in the pole barn where it stays shaded and I like to hang mine 3-4 days. I shot a doe Saturday night and cut her tonight due to the cold temps and it was a bloody mess.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/21/22 11:47 PM

All depends on how much taint flavor you like in your venison. I’m skin and process fast kind of guy.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/21/22 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Muskeg
All depends on how much taint flavor you like in your venison. I’m skin and process fast kind of guy.

Yep, I don't age, just get it done.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/21/22 11:52 PM

I do a week , quartered and hanging in the fridge.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/21/22 11:53 PM

Depends on what im doing with deer. If Im canning it, I dont worry about aging . If doing traditional cuts and steaks, I like to hang two weeks if temps permit. Ive gone as long as three weeks....very tender and flavorful.
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/21/22 11:55 PM

I use a 60 qt cooler and ice. Kinda like resting chickens. Keep ice on them and 10 days no problem.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/21/22 11:55 PM

I put frozen water jugs in the cavity.If freezing at night and 50s in the day will go a long time If you change out the jugs.I like to hang at least five days.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 12:07 AM

Skin and quarter as soon as we can. Then the quarters go into a cold fridge till they get a little frosty. Then cut, vacuum bag and freeze.

Like I said for several years, we like to put in the bags and freeze before sealing. No blood or juices to worry about and you get a really nice seal.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 12:09 AM

Break down into quarters and put in the fridge within one or two days. Grinder takes care of any tenderizing. Back straps do get aged a little in the fridge before i finish them into whole roasts and medallions for what's left.

Unless you are cutting major muscles into steaks to be cooked quickly at high temp i dont see how outdoor aging does anything beside giving a rind to cut off and lose meat.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by trap master
So the discussion at work today was how long you can hang a deer, outside no temp control. Using the current Temps, 28/30 degrees at night daytime high around 55 degrees. Hide still on. What say you?

55° is too warm, get it cut up
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by trap master

I do it whenever the temps permit. Seven to ten days if Ma Nature cooperates.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 12:18 AM

I like to hang a week to 10 days. If temps are not good,I'll quarter and refrigerate.
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 12:20 AM

I apologize. I didnt read the entire question. I suppose you could hang it in those conditions for several days if not in direct sunlight. I would start to get worried after 5 or so though. But you gotta imagine the core temp will get down to the nightly low then not actually ever hit the daytime high of 55 beofre the ambient temp starts to go the other way.
Posted By: trap master

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Claypool313
I apologize. I didnt read the entire question. I suppose you could hang it in those conditions for several days if not in direct sunlight. I would start to get worried after 5 or so though. But you gotta imagine the core temp will get down to the nightly low then not actually ever hit the daytime high of 55 beofre the ambient temp starts to go the other way.

This is what I said too. I guess the dilemma we were getting at was how long the meat will stay good and not spoil. I don't know that answer so I figured I'd ask everyone here
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 02:32 AM

The right temperature , and as long as it stays under 40 degrees , is perfect for dry ageing venison. It can't get above 40 though, and like others said keep in a shed , and kept from warm air , they will be fine. The longer they hang the better. Knew a guy that left his hang for months when we had the blizzard of 78 , and he swore it was the best he ever ate. Last year he was still around , so it didn't kill him.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
The right temperature , and as long as it stays under 40 degrees , is perfect for dry ageing venison. It can't get above 40 though, and like others said keep in a shed , and kept from warm air , they will be fine. The longer they hang the better. Knew a guy that left his hang for months when we had the blizzard of 78 , and he swore it was the best he ever ate. Last year he was still around , so it didn't kill him.

Longest I hung one was for a month.Monster buck and it was tender as any doe I ever ate.Temps were perfect.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine

I remember that blizzard, snow was butt hole deep to a tall indian. I don't think aging venison changes anything. If any meat is not kept at a controlled temp, it's roll the dice.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 02:47 AM

Skin asap, cut and wrap in the next day or two.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 04:28 AM

I like 5 days minimum.
Posted By: Orlando

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 12:44 PM

Depending on the temps, below 40 I'll hang a few days. If getting above 40, I usually bone it out and put in a cooler with ice for a few days. This year, I shot a buck on the 13th. Temps were in the upper 20s at night to mid 40s during the day. I hung it up in the shop (no heat), opened the doors at night, put a fan on it to move the cool air, skinned the second night, cut out the tenderloins and cut up on the 16th. I imagine I could have hung it longer. But, I don't like to chance it spoiling too much. And I dont like letting it dry out too much. (I should have cut out the tenderloins immediately but was pressed for time.) The loins and tenderloins will be grilled or fried. The rest has been cubed up and will be canned.
Would it make a difference to cut it up sooner or let it age more? I have no idea. But I did slap some loin steaks in the cast iron skillet last night...and they were Fantastic! My wife said they tasted just like beef.
I have hung a deer as long as a week before when it was cold enough. For me, I have had the best results when I process the deer myself. I will never take a deer to a processor again.
FWIW
Posted By: Osky

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 12:52 PM

Outside with the hide on 5at45. Five days when daytime temps reach about 45.

When it’s ready cut immediately.

Osky
Posted By: TRAPPER TOM

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 02:01 PM

like 2 weeks if temp is controlled
Posted By: aknome

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 02:18 PM

Here's what you need to know: https://www.themeateater.com/cook/b...t-you-need-to-know-about-aging-game-meat
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 03:10 PM

At those temps 2 days tops
Posted By: charles

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 03:25 PM

My club has a walk-in cooler from a refer truck. I hang every deer I kill, if even just overnight. Cuts so much easier when the meat is chilled all the way through, plus ice never comes in contact with the meat and the meat is not soaked.

I grind nearly all my deer into burger. A two-week hang time is ideal Anymore and the burger begins to get mushy (too tender).

For roast, I like three weeks or until the meat begins to feel tacky. At three weeks the meat will be very tender.

All our deer are hung with the hides off. Every carcass is thoroughly washed, which accelerates the cooling process. A big fan in the cooler is a must. Temp is around 40 degrees.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 03:39 PM

Aging venison ain't like beef in my opinion. I cut it up and put it away asap.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Aging venison/ hanging time - 11/22/22 04:20 PM

If you’re canning it, I would cut it immediately if I could. The only reason I age anything anymore is because I am pressed for time…. I don’t like letting deer hang above low 40’s for daytime high. That is hanging in the shade too. Really, I cut them up usually the next day anymore as long as it’s cold enough to let it hang overnight. I never saw much difference in quality when I used to age them..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums