Home

Losing traps?

Posted By: Pofarmer10

Losing traps? - 11/22/22 11:23 PM

Have you ever lost a trap to a coyote?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Losing traps? - 11/22/22 11:26 PM

Anchor your traps properly and it won't happen.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Losing traps? - 11/22/22 11:29 PM

Yes
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Losing traps? - 11/22/22 11:29 PM

I had one break a cable on a super stake.

Re: Losing traps? - 11/22/22 11:37 PM

I had a 2 foot stake driven in the ground 3/4 of the way in. (I hit solid rock) Hd squirrel as bait and came back the next afternoon. I think it was coyote tracks but can't be sure. No stake, traps, no nothing. What happened?
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Losing traps? - 11/22/22 11:38 PM

Almost. At a fox set. Coyote had stake pumped out a ways
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Losing traps? - 11/22/22 11:42 PM

Was the set tore up?
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Losing traps? - 11/22/22 11:48 PM

Double stake. Eric

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Was the set tore up?

Not really. I mean where the trap was and a circle around(about a foot diameter) the where the trap was.
Posted By: corky

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 12:11 AM

Thief?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 12:13 AM

Once

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by corky
Thief?

I doubt it. Its not near in anything public.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 12:42 AM

Learn to over anchor

Wolf fangs are my choice
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 12:45 AM

No.
Rule of thumb is to anchor for an elephant.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 01:08 AM

yep
Still makes me sick to think about it. DLS on a drag that an old friend gave me and showed me the basics of catching coyotes.
Had a black coyote around, trap and drag gone one day. I looked for 3 days, finally went back and found chain by accident. Tangled in a less than 1" cedar bush and broke chain (double loop junk we call swingset chain). Changed chains and will never use that stuff again on anything bigger than a rat.

Can't say I caught the black coyote, but I never got another picture of it and I had been getting pics regular on game camera
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 01:20 AM

I watched one take off with my brand new 650 -- cross staked but in riverbottom sandy soil. --- never did find that one.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 01:24 AM

I’ve had a couple but I still believe I lost them to the two legged animal.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 01:26 AM

IF you set enough traps. No matter what you do. You will lose one
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 02:15 AM

Yes I have when I just used one stake. 2 stakes in the ground or disposable now.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 05:10 AM

Yupper, I was 15 at the time,,, I had a #3 dbl long that I blended on perfectly in a blind trail set,,,, everything was perfect,,, except my staking method,,, I drove a stake through the metal ring and pounded it in the ground.. i didn’t know about cross staking and proper swiveling then
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 07:16 AM

I haven't yet, know a buddy who lost multiple dps this last summer when the coons were pulling the stake out using the building and trees. I offered multiple times to add butterfly swivels but he refused. Anyways back on track, I would suggest getting earth anchors, wolf fangs, or super stakes with chain and welded S hooks. Or a cheaper option is 2 30" rebar stakes with a butterfly swivel and properly swiveled chain. I have only ever used earth anchors and they're nice but hard to reuse if on cable since the ferrules usually give out when pulling, that's why I mentioned chain with welded s hooks. Hope this helped.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 08:04 AM

Trap coyotes long enough and we'll all have the same answer
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 08:53 AM

It’s trapping. 99.8 % perfection. We learn from our mistakes.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 10:44 AM

Yep, to a no good rotten stink dog in a flannel shirt. Watched him drive away on a four wheeler
Posted By: Orlando

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 11:56 AM

about 50 years ago, first coyote I ever shot had two #14 Oneida's on him with about a 14" stake that had pulled out....some trapper was unhappy.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 01:21 PM

I had a catch, circle but tral was gone. Finished checking trqpls. Drove to that area about 4 hrs later and 300 yards from my set location a coon was moving funny across a field. As it got closer I saw it wearing my trap. I caught up with it and recovered my trap.

I had wire break and trap gone.

Every time it was a lesson. The first time was don't set where they can get above my re bar by going up a steap bank or a tree and pull directly up.

The broken wire. Inspect how the trap is secured after every catch don't just assume it held the animal you just caught so it should be fine.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 01:27 PM

Yep - had aj hook open on me, chain attached to Pogo stake was there but trap and coyote were gone

Thats why i weld my j hooks now!
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 02:19 PM

If you ain’t ever just plain forgot to even stake the thing at all you ain’t set enough traps.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 02:23 PM

There are those on here that will scoff at you about loosing traps. BUT life happens. J hooks open up. Quick length can be unloosened. Chain breaks. People steal traps. Drags. Flip over and the point get in the chain and then drag marks can be found without trained dog. Saber Tooth drags Even break!! Ask me how I know? Saber Tooth drag on 10 ft of chain hit ONLY rock in West Texas on 50000 acres. Broke new Saber Tooth in 2 peice just a bad weld ? Point is = stuff happens. Do you best to not loose traps. Thats all you can do
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Losing traps? - 11/23/22 03:44 PM

I use longer chain ,
pretty hard for a coyote to pump the stake then .Mine are lost to people more than any other thing .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums