Home

Blake and lamb #40

Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Blake and lamb #40 - 11/23/22 12:16 AM

I was messing around with my traps and came across this one today. I'm assuming this was a beaver trap? Were they good traps? Are the teeth an add on or factory? I don't think it's the factory chain, can someone confirm that? I've never caught anything in a Jump before, was hoping to set it for beaver, don't even know if teeth are legal here underwater, will have to look into that.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Blake and lamb #40 - 11/23/22 12:28 AM

Teeth are legal in Minnesota under water

Re: Blake and lamb #40 - 11/23/22 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Teeth are legal in Minnesota under water

Thank you. I thought I heard that but wasn't sure.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Blake and lamb #40 - 11/23/22 12:32 AM

Looks like a #4 Blake and Lamb underspring. Chain is factory chain. Pan has been altered (cut down, should be square). Factory teeth also. Tough traps to set over your knee, almost have to stand on them to set, better to use under ice as you can set it on the ice. Really were never a great beaver trap mainly as the jaw height is so short.

Re: Blake and lamb #40 - 11/23/22 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by eric space
Looks like a #4 Blake and Lamb underspring. Chain is factory chain. Pan has been altered (cut down, should be square). Factory teeth also. Tough traps to set over your knee, almost have to stand on them to set, better to use under ice as you can set it on the ice. Really were never a great beaver trap mainly as the jaw height is so short.

Ashamed to admit I couldn't set it over my knee, atleast with shorts on in my kitchen.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Blake and lamb #40 - 11/23/22 12:40 AM

Anchor it well...

I'd take off that chain...you can always re attach it. But a stronger swivel n' chain you'd need to keep the trap from swimming off
Posted By: kevtrap

Re: Blake and lamb #40 - 11/23/22 12:59 AM

Pan isn't altered, the #40 was made with a narrow pan.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Blake and lamb #40 - 11/23/22 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by kevtrap
Pan isn't altered, the #40 was made with a narrow pan.

You are correct. The trap appears unaltered. It wasn't a great design and the trap itself was too light to drown a beaver.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Blake and lamb #40 - 11/23/22 01:54 AM

They are a strong trap. I have a couple but with larger pans. Mine are just decoration.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Blake and lamb #40 - 11/23/22 01:58 AM

Personally I wouldn’t use it, had to many accidents and I wouldn’t want to try and pull the teeth out of my hand. eek
© 2024 Trapperman Forums