Home

Cottonwood

Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Cottonwood - 11/23/22 01:21 AM

I was wondering if anyone had used cottonwood trees for fence post or something other than pallets? I have some trees that are 30 to 40 feet tall straight and anywhere from 4 to 10 inches in diameter and I really don’t want to just burn them but that might be the only option.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 01:25 AM

Fence posts? They would work great ... for temporary fence posts. I can't think of anything that would rot faster, with the exception of maybe white//balsam fir.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 01:26 AM

I saw some attractive cabinets one time but mostly ive heard its good for decking trailers and such. Gives instead of breaks
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 01:26 AM

One cord of Alaskan Cottonwood equals 2 cords of ash.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 01:36 AM

Here a lot of old barns were framed in cottonwood that’s why I wondered if there was a treating process to use the as posts, as far as burning I should have been more clear I meant in a pile not a stove, might work for flat board.
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 01:47 AM

They used them for beams around here. They would bend but not break if over loaded I guess was the idea. I've seen some barns put together with saplings driven through beams and posts to act as pegs and hold it together.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
Here a lot of old barns were framed in cottonwood that’s why I wondered if there was a treating process to use the as posts, as far as burning I should have been more clear I meant in a pile not a stove, might work for flat board.

I've been told that is last forever if you keep it dry. I don't think you'd want to use it outdoors.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 02:22 AM

I burn it in the stove in early fall and late spring to just take the chill off the house. Nothing wrong with it but it produces a lot of ash.
Posted By: nate

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 02:30 AM

There used inside barns inside doors,gates and such once they dry you bout have to drill to drive a nail out in the weather they warp and rot quick. I'm pretty sure they are used for popcycle sticks and toothpicks as there is no taste to them. It's good firewood but tuff to split.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 02:35 AM

Could it be used for stretcher boards?
Posted By: waggler

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 02:44 AM

I know of a guy who was milling cottonwood planks that were used for side boards on dump trucks. They were considered more or less as disposable. They abraded rather than splintered and cracked like the Douglas fir that was in general use.
Here is a possible opportunity for someone.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 02:52 AM

Split it green and then let it dry. I split it the day I fall it.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Cottonwood - 11/23/22 03:34 AM

A friend of mine used cottonwood for sheeting inside a two story barn and mews. It looks nice 20 some years later.

Keith
© 2024 Trapperman Forums