Home

Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi

Posted By: AJE

Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/23/22 04:22 AM

increased.

https://www.channel3000.com/youth-i...d-of-wisconsins-gun-deer-hunting-season/
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/23/22 05:46 AM

Did WI lock down for COVID? This to me is one of many byproducts, the face to face is really important.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/23/22 05:19 PM

hmmmmmm.....
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/23/22 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by MattLA
Did WI lock down for COVID? This to me is one of many byproducts, the face to face is really important.

Couldn't agree more.

We teach classroom firearms training classes. We do Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6PM to 8PM for 4 weeks and one Saturday for live range firing.
Our DNR allows another option: online training, pass the written test, and they must join the kids we have classroom trained for range day to get their certificate.
When the online students come to the range, most of them know very little when it comes to safety. I wonder how many parents take the test for their kids to be sure they pass it?
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/23/22 05:45 PM

No there was a change prior to COVID regarding the need for hands on for hunter safety. The instructors have been lobbying for a change for some time. They have not been successful.

Bryce
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/23/22 08:28 PM

The only injuries/Death they brought up was when a 41 year old killed an 11 year old youth when he was attempting to unload the gun in the back seat. But the guy quoted has a problem with 5 and 6 year olds hunting.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/23/22 08:39 PM

Besides the death mentioned, I wonder what the other incidents were
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/24/22 01:21 AM

I saw an article that summarized the other incidents. One was a guy unloading his gun in the front seat of a vehicle, shot himself in the foot. One was a hunter in a blind shot by another hunter on the other side of the field. One was a hunter in a drive acting as a stander shot by a driver. One was a guy whose hand froze to his gun and shot himself when he ripped his hand off. And I think one guy shot his own finger unloading the gun.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/24/22 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by tlguy
I saw an article that summarized the other incidents. One was a guy unloading his gun in the front seat of a vehicle, shot himself in the foot. One was a hunter in a blind shot by another hunter on the other side of the field. One was a hunter in a drive acting as a stander shot by a driver. One was a guy whose hand froze to his gun and shot himself when he ripped his hand off. And I think one guy shot his own finger unloading the gun.

Darwin had a theory about most of this.....................
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/24/22 02:11 AM

I will hold much talk till I see the real report in a few weeks

you realize if one 11 year old who was not shot by himself but by a person in his party at little to no fault of his own (the kid) the adult is definitely at fault.
that make likely a 50% or greater increase in youth hunting deaths.

if they start calling 18-24 year olds kids I call BS , that is just a dangerous age all around but they are adults.

right now this is the official report , it doesn't include this weeks ND.
https://widnr.widen.net/s/fz29sg7r6j/2022_hunting_incident_synopsis

[Linked Image]

there was 2 youth victims and zero youth shooters in 2021

but when the numbers are so small 12 incidents in 2021 none fatal

just 4 incidents recorded in 2022 , there will be some more by the end of the week but the year may have fewer than normal incidents

the most common incident is a pellet strike from bird hunters

we had a fatal , self inflicted gunshot in door county in 2020 the shooter also the victim was a retired cop so any level of training can have issues.

considering around 650,000 people were out this last weekend it is quite safe , it would seem safer than driving to your hunting camp.

do not under any circumstance allow bad muzzle control , or people saying oh it's empty , that is how this type of stuff happens

I told the young hunter I was mentoring this year , it is never empty and while you are 100% responsible for where your muzzle goes you also need to pay attention to other people muzzles don't walk in front of them.
when you practiced in hunters ed you had a controlled area a safe direction and all were using one safe direction , in real life you end up with a bunch of people standing around talking holding guns if you need to back away you do that , if you need a safe direction to load up when you get out of a truck you go make one by walking away from the group.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/24/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by tlguy

Darwin had a theory about most of this.....................

Honestly -- you guys must have about 300 hunters per section -- or are doing sound shots. Even in our liberal state we don't have enough citiots to cause that sort of destruction.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Youth injuries during this gun deer season in Wi - 11/29/22 03:45 AM

Hard telling what is the biggest cause H20Rat
© 2024 Trapperman Forums