Home

adventure trip for young man

Posted By: Kart29

adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 02:26 PM

I want to plan a father-son adventure trip for my 15-year-old son and myself.

Requirements are:
Must be financially feasible - say $2,000 total cost or less - preferably a lot less.
Easily travel requirements - probably needs to be east of the Rockies and within the U.S.
Needs to be a little risky or dangerous - this is a manhood initiation adventure
Needs to be something fun for a teenage boy.
Should require some physical exertion and difficulty

Any ideas? My best idea so far was a skydiving adventure in a cool location - but I found out you can't go skydiving until you are at least 18years of age. frown

I think he might like a big whitewater rafting trip. But I need something a little tougher than a 2-hour guided float down a tourist stream.
Posted By: KsTrapper88

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 02:34 PM

I’ve never done it but I thought a canoe/camping/portage/ fishing trip through voyaguers national park in Minnesota would a great trip for something like this. My son is 7 but I have similar plans for when he is old enough to go on a trip like this. I’ll be following to find ideas.
Posted By: waggler

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 02:38 PM

I'll bet there are some good spelunking adventures back east.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 02:41 PM

What's he into?
Have done weeklong camping/ hiking/ fishing trips and trapping trips, and beach trips with my kids.

All grown and we are actually trying to figure out a trip we'd all enjoy.

Maybe Durango -Silverton steam train, with couple day ATV rental.
Squeeze in Battlefield Vegas machine gun rental and supercar track day.

LOL, guess I'm looking for ideas too!
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 02:49 PM

Do you hike / camp / backpack?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 02:56 PM

Take him turkey hunting public land in Kansas. If I show up at the same time I can guarantee severe thunderstorms and tornadoes! Nothing gets the knuckles white while driving when trying to outrun one of those. For added adventure bet money he can’t run out and slap one of the bulls you’ll see laying down in a field. Even better, rent one of those abandoned homes in the middle of nowhere and listen to all the sounds it makes at night. I can promise he’ll leave there with a bunch of “don’t tell your mom” stories and wore out as well!!
Posted By: Zim

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by KsTrapper88
I’ve never done it but I thought a canoe/camping/portage/ fishing trip through voyaguers national park in Minnesota would a great trip for something like this. My son is 7 but I have similar plans for when he is old enough to go on a trip like this. I’ll be following to find ideas.

^^^^ This, or in the Quetico in Canada. If you do not have a canoe or camping gear it would be a great reason to buy as you could get a lot more use from it in the future.
There are also many outfitters there you could rent from.

Zim
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zim

^^^^ This, or in the Quetico in Canada. If you do not have a canoe or camping gear it would be a great reason to buy as you could get a lot more use from it in the future.

Zim

Great ideas
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 03:08 PM

Take him scuba diving somewhere.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 03:16 PM

As a teen, a friend and I used to spend a lot of weekends canoe camping. You can go to places where there isn't anyone else. It's a comfortable way to camp because you can carry a lot of gear and food in a canoe. Just because you can get so far away from everyone else, you'll see nature that other "outdoorsmen" never see. You'll have to overcome problems that come up without anyone around to help you figure it out - wilderness is always an unexpected adventure. We had lots of locations where we, unexpectedly, had to portage canoe and camping gear. You really can get to the wilderness miles from another person.

We would pick a river and park vehicles at each end of our trip, sometimes 20+ miles apart and spend a few days slowly exploring the river. Some of the best memories of my teenage years.
Posted By: Pofarmer10

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap

x2
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
As a teen, a friend and I used to spend a lot of weekends canoe camping. You can go to places where there isn't anyone else. It's a comfortable way to camp because you can carry a lot of gear and food in a canoe. Just because you can get so far away from everyone else, you'll see nature that other "outdoorsmen" never see. You'll have to overcome problems that come up without anyone around to help you figure it out - wilderness is always an unexpected adventure. We had lots of locations where we, unexpectedly, had to portage canoe and camping gear. You really can get to the wilderness miles from another person.

We would pick a river and park vehicles at each end of our trip, sometimes 20+ miles apart and spend a few days slowly exploring the river. Some of the best memories of my teenage years.

Awesome
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 03:35 PM

Boundary waters canoe trip.
Posted By: Boco

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 03:38 PM

Too bad you limit yourself to the US.
There are hundreds of small,medium sized and large rivers that flow into James Bay through the NE Ontario and NW Quebec wilderness that are great canoe trips-all fur trade routes of the HBC.
The Missinaibi to Moose Factory is a good one.You can paddle it all the way from just north of Lake superior or do a half trip from Mattice on the trans Canada hwy cutting of a couple hundred miles.The Abitibi is another.If you do the Abitibi to Moose Factory you have to portage across to the Onakawanna at Otter rapids to avoid the 9 mile and 13 mile rapids north of Otter rapids-but the bonus is the Onakawanna is one of the best brook trout fisherys in the world.
Whichever River you take,they all drain into the Moose River eventually.You can pack your gear and canoes on the train at Moosonee when you get there and can ride back to Cochrane.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pofarmer10
Originally Posted by Oh Snap

x2

X3...^^^^

Some of the Florida springs are spectacular.

As are the Keys.

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 03:54 PM

My best years were times I spent with my Dad doing stuff together.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Always a good time.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

x2

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:02 PM

We've already done some multi-day canoe camping trips on the rivers. I'm not sure that has enough risk/danger for us. The first river trip I took him on when he was seven, I was pretty scared because the normally flat river was flooded and really flowing - fast and some small white water and waves. I was scared I would lose my son but he was in bow busting waves, getting wet, having the ride of his life and loving every minute of it. You should have seen the look of satisfaction and achievement on his face when we finished that trip! Sadly, he's not much into paddling any more. It's too much like work. frown Same thing for hiking/backpacking. We've done a lot of it, including some trips that have been physically challenging. But he mostly sees this as something his Dad drags him along and makes him do. I'm trying to find something that will give him a thrill.

He's into guitars and is an exceptionally good player for only being 14. I really enjoy hearing him play. I don't know how I could build a manhood initiation adventure around that interest, though. Unlike his little brother, this son seems to have a negative attitude about everything. Not that he's a bad kid - he just never finds enjoyment or pleasure in anything. Even things I can visibly see he enjoyed - six weeks later he'll tell me how awful he remembers it being.

Scuba diving sounds like a real possibility. It could be a little scary and definitely has an element of danger. It requires preparation and training. It could involve a road-trip to Florida. His grandfather has done a lot scuba diving, too, so that is something we could share in common with him.

Spelunking is not a bad idea, either. Also requires some training - also an element of risk and conquering your fears.

A race car adventure might be possible - that's definitely up MY alley. But it could be humiliating for him to get smoked so badly by his old man in a racecar! It's impossible for me to go easy on anyone once I get a crash helmet on.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming boys!

Before qualifying for the initiation adventure, he will need to complete a physical challenge, a spiritual challenge, and an intellectual challenge. Each of those is something we will do together. Ultimately, I want the initiation adventure trip to be something he buys into. I want to come up with some challenging options and see what grabs him.

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Too bad you limit yourself to the US.
There are hundreds of small,medium sized and large rivers that flow into James Bay through the NE Ontario and NW Quebec wilderness that are great canoe trips-all fur trade routes of the HBC.
The Missinaibi to Moose Factory is a good one.You can paddle it all the way from just north of Lake superior or do a half trip from Mattice on the trans Canada hwy cutting of a couple hundred miles.The Abitibi is another.If you do the Abitibi to Moose Factory you have to portage across to the Onakawanna at Otter rapids to avoid the 9 mile and 13 mile rapids north of Otter rapids-but the bonus is the Onakawanna is one of the best brook trout fisherys in the world.
Whichever River you take,they all drain into the Moose River eventually.You can pack your gear and canoes on the train at Moosonee when you get there and can ride back to Cochrane.

I would LOVE to do that! That sounds perfect for me. But I don't think it would grab him, much. Plus, I don't think I could get across the border and back not having been injected with the Trump vaccine and all. And, Canadians don't seem to favor my type of folk. I'm not sure I'd be welcome there.
Posted By: Orlando

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:06 PM

Book a hog hunting trip with dogs...tough, fast, noisy, exciting and a little dangerous. Wading with a knife through a bunch of dogs to stick a cornered boar will definitely get the adrenaline going! Guaranteed to to have the best stories for his buddies.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:13 PM

Have you been west? Canoeing is a great idea, but pretty low on the adventure scale. There are tons of parks with actual mountains out here? Climb them! Glacier, Rocky Mountain, Cascades, Tetons. All parks and you can find decent lodging or camp. Plenty of bears in MT for pucker factor. Lots of drainages and peaks to explore.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:18 PM

How long of a trip are you thinking?

Is your son into the outdoors? Has he been camping and those type adventures?

You could take a road trip with only 1 real set plan, like the rafting trip you mentioned, the rest of the trip do what you feel.

Head west to Custers battlefield then to Yellowstone drop down into the great basin and find a place that offers overnight raft trips in class 4 water then hit 4 corners country and the cliff houses and head back through hwy 66 then home.

One of my best memories with my dad, who didn't hunt or fish but made sure I learned how too when I showed interest was a trip to Florida to see his parents and he took a couple days to get me over to see Don Garland's Museum because I was showing interest in old Mopar's when I started looking for my first car. We had a great time and found a shared interest that we could always talk about and argue about.

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Orlando
Book a hog hunting trip with dogs...tough, fast, noisy, exciting and a little dangerous. Wading with a knife through a bunch of dogs to stick a cornered boar will definitely get the adrenaline going! Guaranteed to to have the best stories for his buddies.

Good choice, did it 15 years ago, and just past week my brother says, "You know, we ought to do that again!"
But if I do, will combine it with iguana and python hunting and definitely some fishing
Posted By: KsTrapper88

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:20 PM

That is a cool idea DT. Climb to the top of the grand Teton, or another big, technical, exposed peak would definitely be risky and rewarding. I’m not sure what some of the most difficult peaks are but sounds exciting
Posted By: D.T.

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:32 PM

They don't necessarily have to be technical. There are some peaks you want and need some experience and gear for. Others are walk up and downs. That said, there is a lot of elevation gain, exposure, and reward. I've been climbing a long time all over the continent. If you want more specific info let me know.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:34 PM

I did the same thing you're looking to do with my oldest, when he turned ten, a coming-of age thing where he left boyhood and started his journey to manhood. No longer a boy, not yet a man. We went to western Nebraska and did a bunch of exploring, and climbed to the top of courthouse and jail rocks. It honestly terrified him to get to the top of the first one, but afterwards he was really proud of himself. We talked about manly things, I gave him a special gift (an axe), and afterwards I baptized him, and now I introduce him as a young man instead as a boy.

When hy other boy turns ten, we'll do a similar trip with rock climbing in the black hills of south Dakota.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zim

Zim

Years ago when I was in Boy Scouts we did a ten day canoe trip in the Quetico and boundary waters. Started out in Atikoken (sp?) Canada and came out in Ely, Minnesota. Lots of good fishing and had a lot of fun. I don't know that it was physically challenging or dangerous though to anyone with a lick of sense and in minimally decent shape. Crossing the border is a lot more hassle than it used to be though.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Orlando

x2

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 04:51 PM

Karl

Just read your comments about your son. He needs a trip to visit Uncle Ted and Spirit of the Wild. Go with what turns his crank!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 06:00 PM

First weekend after easter. Waynoka OK rattlesnake round up. Snakes are in the rim rocks out past the Little Sahara park
Posted By: waggler

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 06:22 PM

Get an Alaska Airlines Visa card, use it for a couple of months, I think once you charge about $1500 you will get a $99 R.T. companion ticket.

Book a ticket from Chicago to Wrangell Alaska, about $850 RT plus $99 for your son.

Find someone to rent a skiff from and head down to Berg Bay Forest service cabin, $25 a night, spend a couple nights, take a crab pot with you and fishing rods, hike up Aaron creek trail. Then come back to town, find an ABB for a couple nights, find someone to take you out halibut fishing for a day or so.

Should be able to do it for about $2000.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 07:44 PM

^^^^^ this.

What a great trip. A memory to last a lifetime!

Ol dad
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 07:49 PM

Would your son be interested in going on a Canadian or Alaskan trap line? I'm sure there are a few members here who would be happy to let you tag along and you can pay them for their time.

Ol dad
Posted By: Orlando

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 08:25 PM

Iguana's, hogs, pythons, and noodling...that sounds like a Great time!
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 08:38 PM

Take him to Looosiana and go gator hunting. Dangerous enough?

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

Been a few times, should have points enough for both SC and GA next year.
Big fun!

You guys are getting me pumped up to take a trip somewhere!
And do something, lol!
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Take him turkey hunting public land in Kansas. If I show up at the same time I can guarantee severe thunderstorms and tornadoes! Nothing gets the knuckles white while driving when trying to outrun one of those. For added adventure bet money he can’t run out and slap one of the bulls you’ll see laying down in a field. Even better, rent one of those abandoned homes in the middle of nowhere and listen to all the sounds it makes at night. I can promise he’ll leave there with a bunch of “don’t tell your mom” stories and wore out as well!!

You really want white knuckles, go to Oklahoma. They have way more twisters than Kansas! That’s where all the storm chasers go!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
Get an Alaska Airlines Visa card, use it for a couple of months, I think once you charge about $1500 you will get a $99 R.T. companion ticket.

Book a ticket from Chicago to Wrangell Alaska, about $850 RT plus $99 for your son.

Find someone to rent a skiff from and head down to Berg Bay Forest service cabin, $25 a night, spend a couple nights, take a crab pot with you and fishing rods, hike up Aaron creek trail. Then come back to town, find an ABB for a couple nights, find someone to take you out halibut fishing for a day or so.

Should be able to do it for about $2000.
[Linked Image]

Sign me up!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 10:29 PM

Want an adventure? Teach him Land Nav with a map and compass. Blindfold him and have someone pick you up and take you in the middle of your largest WMA then leave. Take off the blindfold and tell him to get y’all back to the truck. Take enough supplies to spend the night if necessary. That can cover all three, physical, spiritual, and intellectual.
The physical is self explanatory. The intellectual comes after you walk/hike for several hours and you point out you’re going in circles or the wrong way and he figures out his mistake. Of course the spiritual is when you reach your objective.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 11:08 PM

Grand Canyon float

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by crowheart
Just go and spent a few days with Savell in the woods! Take some extra bail money! grin

...and plenty of underwear! Lol

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/23/22 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Want an adventure? Teach him Land Nav with a map and compass. Blindfold him and have someone pick you up and take you in the middle of your largest WMA then leave. Take off the blindfold and tell him to get y’all back to the truck. Take enough supplies to spend the night if necessary. That can cover all three, physical, spiritual, and intellectual.
The physical is self explanatory. The intellectual comes after you walk/hike for several hours and you point out you’re going in circles or the wrong way and he figures out his mistake. Of course the spiritual is when you reach your objective.

That's actually kinda cool WB!
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/24/22 12:22 AM

Climbing the sheer wall was a good time. You could do this and then go north and whitewater raft the yough

https://www.nrocks.com/activities/via-ferrata/

https://upperyoughexpeditions.com/whitewater-rafting/
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/24/22 12:39 AM

Rock climbing, zip-lining, bungee jumping, hang gliding?
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/24/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John

How does a non-resident go about this gator hunting?
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: adventure trip for young man - 11/24/22 04:19 PM

An orienteering adventure in a wilderness area would be fun! ABSOLUTELY NO GPS!!! Just a compass and a topo map, no trails!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums