Home

Any Market At All?

Posted By: Anonymous

Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 01:08 PM

Have a couple of grandkids that are under 5 that I want to introduce to trapping. Coons need thinning on my lines and I thought I would set about a dozen traps for them. Give something for the grandkids to observe. Other than a couple I may tan and introduction to skinning, should I even bother skinning the rest.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 01:19 PM

Not unless they are 45 lb's with A/B color ,lol
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 01:24 PM

I think you already uncovered the unmeasurable value- spending time outdoors with you Grandchildren.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 01:28 PM

have the kids skin them , no worries if they make holes they are just practice coon

meat market maybe?
Posted By: eedup

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 01:44 PM

^ this
Posted By: Jacks

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 02:00 PM

If you have some funds, I would have kids set traps and have them skin them and process and tell them you sold them for them For 50 bucks each. Nothing like a 50 dollar bill to get kids excited and become trappers for life, then throw them away, and know you could not have spent your money better than helping grand kids
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jacks
If you have some funds, I would have kids set traps and have them skin them and process and tell them you sold them for them For 50 bucks each. Nothing like a 50 dollar bill to get kids excited and become trappers for life, then throw them away, and know you could not have spent your money better than helping grand kids

This is a good idea, but they're 5. Tell them you sold them for $5/each and they'll likely be thrilled.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 02:10 PM

I like the $50.00 idea. Teach them to save 45.00 of it. Let them keep 5.00 each. Never to early to teach saving money and discipline of funds. Enjoy the time with your grandchildren as well

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 02:21 PM

If your going to buy their put up racoons do it for close to what it was last time there was a market for them so when they are older they aren't like coons , those are worth 50 bucks just to find out you were the one paying them , a well intentioned lie is still a lie at some point

the last paying racoon we had was 5 dollars a head at the farm that was over run with them my son pulled 40 out in a week

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 02:24 PM

maybe better yet if they have a youth 22 trade them coons caught for 50 round boxes of 22lr
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 02:25 PM

If you're gonna lie make it a good one. Tell them the government is buying them, as part of the Build Back Better act.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 02:29 PM

Take them squirrel hunting. Then you will have something to eat and won't have to tell any lies period.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 02:43 PM

Can I be your Grandkid, grin I had a thought though, if I was a 5 year old child and I started telling peaple i got 50 bucks for a raccoon, they may think I'm confused or peg me as being untruthful? cool

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
have the kids skin them , no worries if they make holes they are just practice coon

meat market maybe?

I could likely sell the meat.

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 03:00 PM

Like the idea. Maybe $10 a piece and a trip to the candy store.

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Take them squirrel hunting. Then you will have something to eat and won't have to tell any lies period.

I figured I would feed them a coon. lol
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton

Like the idea. Maybe $10 a piece and a trip to the candy store.

I'll take that deal!!!! grin
Posted By: waggler

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 03:43 PM

Have the skins tanned and give them to the kids for wall hangers, and/or make hats out of them.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 03:52 PM

With children that young just take them out and set your traps like it is a normal thing to do and you can decide what to do with the catch. No need to enforce into youth the should I or should I not trap based on the market. We don't need trappers only in the good years we need them on the landscape every season and you can teach them that right now.

Bryce

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 04:06 PM

You should be able get ten bucks for the meat. Heads and "bones" have value also

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 04:07 PM

And definitely get couple tanned like was mentioned above
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 04:56 PM

I'm headed for the rat wagon on Sunday I'll let you all know what kind of market there Is.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Any Market At All? - 11/24/22 05:47 PM

When you are teaching the next generation, I don’t think the market matters much! You are showing them the outdoors with wildlife management as the focus. You don’t have to go crazy…in fact, too much of a good thing turns it into work and kids of that age aren’t ready for that.

One thought is that you give them all of the fur money as long as they help (or at least participate), start to finish. It doesn’t take much money to be a lot to a kid. Get some tanned and hats made…Xmas presents for next year. They’ll always remember good times with Grandpa!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums