Home

Lead sled

Posted By: scrapper

Lead sled - 11/24/22 10:09 PM

I'm in the market for a new shooting rest. Anyone have the Caldwell Lead Sled 3? Is it a good rest for the money? I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Lead sled - 11/24/22 10:14 PM

The Caldwell "Rock Dix Rifle Rest" is a good shooting rest. You don't need a Lead Sled unless you are sighting/shooting a heavy recoil gun. I have a Lead Sled (gift) that I only use occasionally to test 45/70 loads.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Lead sled - 11/24/22 10:20 PM

I've had the Caldwell Lead sled for Years...my Wifey bought me one quite a while ago. Great investment!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Lead sled - 11/24/22 10:37 PM

I think my lead steady I'd the dft model. I like it for load development when I want to take me out of the equation as much as possible. I have a field pod from them also. It's pretty wore out and does not get much use any more but was great when the kids were very small and it made it possible for them to make very accurate shots out of ground blindes when they were very small.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Lead sled - 11/24/22 10:40 PM

I’m very happy with my lead sled, it does what it does very well.

Osky
Posted By: Sasktrapper06

Re: Lead sled - 11/24/22 11:16 PM

We have two. They are great for load development as it is very steady. I've found that it isn't great for sighting guns is on though. For some reason your point of impact will shift about an inch at 100 compared to shooting off a rest. I did some research into it and found that others had this problem too. From now on all our guns are sighted in off sandbags.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Lead sled - 11/25/22 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sasktrapper06
We have two. They are great for load development as it is very steady. I've found that it isn't great for sighting guns is on though. For some reason your point of impact will shift about an inch at 100 compared to shooting off a rest. I did some research into it and found that others had this problem too. From now on all our guns are sighted in off sandbags.

exactly , because the gun doesn't recoil the same

I am of the Appleseed train of thought sight in with your rifle , prone with a sling because it is what you will have with you when you need to make the shot.

if a lead sled makes shooting enjoyable for you , rock on , it isn't necessary and it does give a different POI vs no lead sled

to each their own , it will depend how much you use it if it is worth it.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Lead sled - 11/25/22 12:14 AM

Mine is about 20 years old and the original model.
It has had tremendous use and is still like new.
It and 3-4 bags of shot do the work.
Get the heavy duty covers for the shot bags to prevent a spill.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Lead sled - 11/25/22 12:21 AM

I have one. The point of impact does seem to change when u shot gun in other scenarios. And I've read if loaded up with weight it can be hard on stalks and scopes on heavier recoiling calibers as it creates too solid of a wall
Posted By: harrison72

Re: Lead sled - 11/25/22 12:26 AM

I bought one last winter and I love it. I'm not sure what model it is, but it doesn't have any way of holding the gun down, which I really like because I think the recoil could POSSIBLY damage the scope? Also,lead weight is pretty expensive, so I simply pile a 25 pound log chain on in place of the lead. It may not be part, but it absolutely absorbs the recoil.

Re: Lead sled - 11/25/22 11:24 AM

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that the point of impact could be different. Makes sense.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Lead sled - 11/25/22 12:50 PM

Scrapper - We have not noticed a change in point of impact.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Lead sled - 11/25/22 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by scrapper
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that the point of impact could be different. Makes sense.

I use the lead sled when putting on New scopes, heavier loads. Or kids shooting deer / Start with using it and finish with my homemade sandbags.

Re: Lead sled - 11/25/22 05:19 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I went to a couple different gun shops today and ended up coming home with a Bog Pod death grip, lol. A person should just shop for what they intended instead of looking around.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Lead sled - 11/25/22 05:21 PM

I have the original one. love it. Never noticed a change in POI.

Works great for load development and dialing in scopes. I also use it on bench for scope mounting and cleaning.

Honestly, I've never put a weight on mine.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums