Home

Question for the waterfowl hunters

Posted By: Ave

Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/25/22 10:43 PM

Hey guys, I have a question that I have yet to get a definite answer for. I have a mossberg 500 12 gauge, and only have a full choke for it. Can I shoot steel shot with a full choke, or should I buy a modified/ improved cylinder? I’m just starting to get into waterfowl hunting and am totally new to the sport. Thanks!!
Posted By: SJA

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/25/22 10:48 PM

Your best advice is to contact Mossberg ref this question.
Posted By: willvalley

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/25/22 11:08 PM

Modified will pattern better. Steel does not compress in a choke like lead will. Steel also retains it's form so it patterns a bit tighter then lead.
Most Steel shot manufacturers suggest not to use a full choke with steel.
Good chance your full choke won't remain as tight if you use it with very much Steel shot. The bigger the bb size the quicker that will happen.
I have an assortment of 500 chokes. I will give them to you if you want them as I no longer have a 500.
Ted
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/25/22 11:10 PM

AVE,I have shot steel out of my mossberg 500 with a full choke barrel-since steel was mandated for waterfowl.
Tom
Posted By: Tray

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/25/22 11:13 PM

My recommendation would to buy a modified choke, typically steel shot does not pattern well out of a full choke.
Posted By: Guthrie

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/25/22 11:35 PM

You can, will just not pattern as well. Kicks or Carlsen makes some fine chokes for a reasonable price.
Posted By: trap master

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/26/22 12:14 AM

Modified or improved cylinder even, I saw a guy blow 2 inches of barrel off a mossberg shootin size T steel through a full choke, remember the the wall of the barrel is thinner where the threads are and steel won't compress like lead
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/26/22 12:46 AM

Buy modified and improved cylinder. A few brands of shells and go to a range and see which combo gives you the best pattern at 30 yards.
Posted By: Skunkedtrapper

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/26/22 04:54 PM

I remember when steel shot was first mandatory, the rule of thumb was not to shoot anything larger than 2 shot through a full choke. If your hunting ducks that's not a big deal, but if you are hunting geese, cranes, or swans you may want a larger pellet. It's best to pattern your loads to see how they perform. Steel tends to respond to chokes different than lead. I have actually seen full choke patterns more open than modified with steel.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/26/22 05:07 PM

I would start with ICL. Its likely the best option for steel shot even if you get to larger sized pellets like bb, bbb, t. Remember steel is very hard shot so choking too tightly often blows the pattern.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/27/22 01:58 AM

Not to mention your choke!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Question for the waterfowl hunters - 11/27/22 02:03 AM

Do not shoot steel shot in a Full (F) choke. If for no other reason that it generally blows apart the pattern. With steel, Modified (Mod) is like a Full (F) with lead. Improved Cylinder ((IC) is like Modified (Mod) with lead. And Cylinder (Cyl) is like Improved Cylinder (IC) with lead. At least it’s that way with most loads I’ve patterned.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums