Home

Excluding Housecats

Posted By: SwoleTrapper

Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 05:15 AM

I recently moved to a property where I can trap, but I have a couple of outdoor cats. What are the best ways to make sure I dont catch them? I have 3 acres surrounded by farmland in PA and I see fox, racoons and skunks on my trailcam. I cant catch a cat though, my kids and wife would not be happy. I have the pan tool to tell me how many pounds it is set at, but I dont know what a cat will put on it if they start digging in a hole trying to get at my lure.

Whatever you can tell me to exclude them would be great, even if I trap less because of it. Thanks
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 05:17 AM

Your best bet would be to use cages and dog proof traps baited with sweet baits.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 05:17 AM

I'd try a cage.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 05:27 AM

Yep...Cages
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 05:30 AM

check before they wake up and let them out

maybe padded or laminated jaws

cages close to the house catch the cats before they can mess up the other sets

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 05:44 AM

What cage should I get? I have never trapped with a cage.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 05:53 AM

Little Wolf Trapping Supply from Manawa, Wi makes an excellent coon cage.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 06:45 AM

There are a number of excellent cage traps.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 06:48 AM

You don't want that prized house cat caught in a foothold on a cold night. Yotetrapper30 nailed it.
Posted By: KS skunkman

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 09:42 AM

Pen up the cats until you are done!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by KS skunkman
Pen up the cats until you are done!

Cages or this . Any type of leg hold and you will get a cat .
Posted By: warrior

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 11:24 AM

Free ranging cats need trapped. They are a non native invasive predators that kill billions of native species worldwide and responsible for the extinction of several native species and reservoirs of zoonotic disease that threatens other endangered wildlife.
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Free ranging cats need trapped. They are a non native invasive predators that kill billions of native species worldwide and responsible for the extinction of several native species and reservoirs of zoonotic disease that threatens other endangered wildlife.

THIS................is the harsh truth that cat owners / lovers don't want to hear.
Posted By: learch

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 12:34 PM

Dog proofs on your property and go get permission on new ground close by.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by learch

sorry but cats still happen in pull only DPs
barn cats can be let out but they will get caught and Ferals are legal here year round just like possum
Posted By: micheal

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 01:37 PM

Cages
Posted By: old243

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 03:21 PM

If you catch them in a cage trap . make sure you give the cage a good shakin, you won't need to worry about catching them another time. They will
exit at high speed.. The ferals you don't release. old243

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 03:30 PM

Sweet baits are the best option as cats are more strictly carnivorous than coons and canines. That's not say 110% foolproof as curiosity did kill the cat.

And X2 on making the whole experience unpleasant should you catch one. Cats are easy to trap, the first time. Remember that if you ever have to target cats specifically.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 03:39 PM

Fox, coon, and skunks all good candidates for cages. Two of those good candidates for DPs (coon and skunks).
Very good tips on here. Avoid the footholds. Use sweet baits like marshmallows, fruit loops, cut up apples, banana chips, or something like shelled corn only. Skunks won’t be interested in the corn so much but coon will and for the most part not cats.
But if you like your cats they will show up about anywhere and any set. Cages give you the best option at an easy release and quick learning curve for your cats.
You will miss some fox in the cages but they can be caught in them and on the sweet baits.
Good luck.
Jim
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 03:52 PM

What housecats?....I haven't seen any cats. wink
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 04:27 PM

Agreed I call tell you how to avoid catching them more than once .Feral cats reproduce several times a year . The number of diseases they carry some of which are possibly issues that can effect humans They kill millions of song birds and native mammals. And the trap spade neuter theory is a way for people to steal money from people that are susceptible to misinformation.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by learch

sorry but cats still happen in pull only DPs
barn cats can be let out but they will get caught and Ferals are legal here year round just like possum

Have you tried using only stuff like marshmallows in them? I trapped a place that was absolutely infested with cats... think crazy cat lady.... using pull only DPs and marshmallows. Caught a slew of big old fat IL barn coons, but no cats.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Strut10

THIS................is the harsh truth that cat owners / lovers don't want to hear.

And - What housecats?....I haven't seen any cats.

Your question is absurd! You let cats run loose and ask how to not catch them! You can be the problem and solution. Either let them wander and catch them, or don’t let them wander and don’t catch them.

In my nuisance trapping business I had a customer with a severe lawn damage problem. She fed her wandering cats bowls of food outside which initially attracted the raccoons. I told her in plain language to put the cats in the garage or house so I don’t catch them and waste her money and my time. She reluctantly agreeed. In my agreement I wrote in large letters to put all pets inside. On the evening of the day that I set cages, she called me and was furious because I had caught a cat. I went there, released the cat, gathered the traps, and gave her a partial refund.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 05:28 PM

A long time ago. The parish I lived in, had a leash law, a it also included cats!! One day, my girlfriend called me up crying! She said, she just ran over her neighbors cat, and they are at her door! So, I told her to tell them, they have a leash law here with cats included! And if there is any damage to my car they will be responsible!! The neighbor looked down the road and said, I don’t think that’s my cat, and left!! I know that’s not what you asked for. But, do what everyone else said, sweet bait and cages. And you might still catch them! Firewood, I would ad to this to that contract, if I catch your cat it will cost 50 dollars or I will have to bring it to animal control! That might make them lock them up while you are working!!
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 05:58 PM

Gator - good advice to your daughter!

My contract already includes more than that. I added extra in huge writing and circled the relevant language. She also said a neighbor complained about cruelty to animals because her cat was in a cage trap. She only got a partial refund because of the cat fine/charge, one day trapping, an extra trip, and she tried scolding me. I am very independent and none of that gets dumped on me. I will not work for a difficult customer - they go on my forever waiting list.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 06:28 PM

Firewood, I don’t blame you! Life is too short to mess with people like that!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 07:59 PM

Outdoor cats don’t last long here. Not in quail country anyways. Ever noticed if you catch a feral cat its fur is thick, they are fat, and have claws about an inch long? Yet catch a feral dog and it’s so thin you can see every bone and they’re covered in ticks so bad that you can’t even make out the breed. You get higher praise on a feral cat than you do any other catch down here. They are just natural born killers.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/27/22 10:08 PM

You are probably not the only trapper in your area. KEEP THE CATS INDOORS!
Posted By: Actor

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/28/22 03:16 AM

In enough time the cats will be taken care of by red fox... the best bait in the world for red fox is cat!

Garry-
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/28/22 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood

In my nuisance trapping business I had a customer with a severe lawn damage problem. She fed her wandering cats bowls of food outside which initially attracted the raccoons. I told her in plain language to put the cats in the garage or house so I don’t catch them and waste her money and my time. She reluctantly agreeed. In my agreement I wrote in large letters to put all pets inside. On the evening of the day that I set cages, she called me and was furious because I had caught a cat. I went there, released the cat, gathered the traps, and gave her a partial refund.

Don't you just love jobs like that?
They feed the birds and squirrels and want you to catch only the skunks.
LOL

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 12:16 AM

The cats go out, and thats not gonna change. Bottom line is they kill mice and rats better than traps ever will. They kill the occasional bird, but I would too if I were a cat. I have a ton of birds and am not worried about that. If a fox gets one of them, thats no problem, its still better then keeping them imprisoned in the house all the time when they want to go hunting just like us.

I will just go with cages. I have had fox snap legs trying to get out of regular traps, and thats the only reason I worry about the cats. Even with special jaws I could see them getting pretty messed up. Cages will be fun to try

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by SwoleTrapper
Bottom line is they kill mice and rats better than traps ever will.

Patently false. Multiple studies have proven the common misconception that cats are effective at rodent control is false.

For one cats are equal opportunity killers without a predilection for rodents alone. Everything from bugs to reptiles to birds will be killed indiscriminately while the more secretive and nocturnal rodents, mainly the commensal ones, secrete themselves within structures, tunnels or other inaccessible places.

Studies also show that rodent numbers can and do actually grow in the presence of cats. Several possible reasons given are reduced food source competition from other species killed off by the cats, rodent reproductive strategy of large multiple litters, and where cats are fed from the cat food itself.

It has also been conjectured that the omnipresence of cats and rodents has lead to the misconception that cats control rodents when the reverse is true.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 10:16 AM

Didn't the old boys use skunks as barn mousers?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kermit
Didn't the old boys use skunks as barn mousers?

Now that would be an interesting thread!

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 12:36 PM

Patently false. Multiple studies have proven the common misconception that cats are effective at rodent control is false.

For one cats are equal opportunity killers without a predilection for rodents alone. Everything from bugs to reptiles to birds will be killed indiscriminately while the more secretive and nocturnal rodents, mainly the commensal ones, secrete themselves within structures, tunnels or other inaccessible places.

Studies also show that rodent numbers can and do actually grow in the presence of cats. Several possible reasons given are reduced food source competition from other species killed off by the cats, rodent reproductive strategy of large multiple litters, and where cats are fed from the cat food itself.

It has also been conjectured that the omnipresence of cats and rodents has lead to the misconception that cats control rodents when the reverse is true.

Did your study say how much those cats were feed?

My study shows before I had cats in the barn I would move things and mice would run out from under them
Once cats moved into the barn I seldom see a mouse maybe once or twice a year.

But we don't over feed them either. If there is any food left when they are done eating they are geting feed to much and they get feed once a day. Unless it's bunching day or hunting season.

There are lots of factors that need to be looked at in these studies. Like who paid for them.

I mean you probably should not trap opossum there is a study that shows they eat ticks after all.

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 02:47 PM

The possum tick study was flawed.

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 04:21 PM

The possum tick study was flawed.

Exactly my point on studies. Your cat study is the exact opposite of my personal observation of mice in my barn.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Did your study say how much those cats were feed?

My study shows before I had cats in the barn I would move things and mice would run out from under them
Once cats moved into the barn I seldom see a mouse maybe once or twice a year.

But we don't over feed them either. If there is any food left when they are done eating they are geting feed to much and they get feed once a day. Unless it's bunching day or hunting season.

There are lots of factors that need to be looked at in these studies. Like who paid for them.

I mean you probably should not trap opossum there is a study that shows they eat ticks after all.

The studies I have seen with Warrior's results were all made and used by HSUS and PETA, so I very, very, very highly doubt their veracity.

The reason why humans have used cats to control mice for over 10,000 years, is that they do control mice populations.

Cats are less effective at controlling rats, because of rats larger size. When cats and dogs are used together for rat control, they are proven to be effective.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5291527/

Keith
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 05:22 PM

A "study" of before and after adc trapping mobile home parks is quite interesting.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 07:14 PM

Cats run away.....just saying. whistle
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 09:38 PM

Your thinking is very flawed in my opinion. Your disregard for a cat killing a bird really gets me. "Imprisoned in the house"? Give me a break. Foxes snapping bones? The more you speak the madder I get.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 10:30 PM

What size traps you setting for fox?
I look at it this way, if you care for your pet you’ll keep them inside, penned up, or have a fenced yard large enough for them. The properties I trap shouldn’t have to accommodate others animals just because they don’t take care of them. You better just hope there aren’t any trappers around you because I doubt they’ll feel the same as you.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Strut10

I'm with this.
A pet gets a collar, chain/or pen, a box (if outside).
Let it run loose ..... no holds barred.
Neighbor moved in near here wit 12 cats brought from other home. All loose porch cats.
Cry like a baby if/when one/some come up missing.
Totally irresponsible, IMO.
No collar, no tag, no taxes paid, no nuthin. And expect all to go well ? ? ?
Idiots.

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/29/22 11:20 PM

Crow foot I'm sure paying taxes on those cats will solve all your problems with them. Just wow can't figure out where that would help anything or why you would bring it up or what animal tags have to do with anything.

Now to the guy having foxes with broken bones what the heck trap size are you setting. Funny I have been shaped in every trap I run except a 330 and never had a broken bone or more than a blood blister. Bridger #5s mb 750s included .Got to call bs on that from my experience and those big traps are not legal here unless coverd by water.. I have never had a fox with more than maybe a small cut when I missed a sharp bur on a new trap.

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/30/22 02:28 AM

Crow foot I'm sure paying taxes on those cats will solve all your problems with them. Just wow can't figure out where that would help anything or why you would bring it up or what animal tags have to do with anything.

I have, and have had dogs.
They are tagged, licensed and (by law) under my complete control. I keep them penned, leashed and in my sight when loose.
If I would let the run loose and unattended like house cats, then by definition they would be feral, I will not complain if someone traps them, or they get eaten by wild critters, or even shot. They are my responsibility ..... just like my children.
Remember, pets are a :member of the family " ..... right ?
If you think that much of your puss, keep it in check. Else, its wild and on its own.
Maybe if cat folks had to play by the same rules as dog folks, they would be more responsible pet owners.
Why do cats get a free pass ?
Thanks
Posted By: TC1

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/30/22 02:57 AM

Free range cats don’t do well around here. I like partridge, pheasants, bluebirds, robins, orioles, cardinals, etc… too much. No pass here…..
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/30/22 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Actor
In enough time the cats will be taken care of by red fox... the best bait in the world for red fox is cat!

Garry-

Garry I will remember this, thank you for the tip!

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/30/22 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Crowfoot

I have, and have had dogs.
They are tagged, licensed and (by law) under my complete control. I keep them penned, leashed and in my sight when loose.
If I would let the run loose and unattended like house cats, then by definition they would be feral, I will not complain if someone traps them, or they get eaten by wild critters, or even shot. They are my responsibility ..... just like my children.
Remember, pets are a :member of the family " ..... right ?
If you think that much of your puss, keep it in check. Else, its wild and on its own.
Maybe if cat folks had to play by the same rules as dog folks, they would be more responsible pet owners.
Why do cats get a free pass ?
Thanks

Sounded like you thought paying the government a tax makes you some special treatment? I don't see how paying a tax to own your dog does you are anyone else any good.? Maybe it gets you into the in crowd?

When the cats are a problem they get delt with. Just the same as any licensed dogs that would become a problem. O wait we don't license our dogs. Maybe in some cities?

I suppose if I want to let my cats run my 96 acres or if I let my dogs out with out a leash my yard may be large enough to satisfy your requirements for that? I mean it is many times larger than any dog park I have seen.

But not a singe but of this has a thing to do with the guy wanting to trap some varmints and avoid catching his cats. Regardless of your views on it that's what he asked. I'm sure he doesn't care one dbit what you think about his cats.

I feel the same about my animals with the exception of if anyone messed with them on my land. My animals have the right to be here anyone or anything else does not. So If someone shot them it would not end well for that individual.

That said I have no hard feelings or expect any different than any animal I own than for it to be shot on sight if it's where it's not supposed to be and causing problems. If it's a problem I will shoot them myself.

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/30/22 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by MattLA
Originally Posted by Actor

Garry-

Garry I will remember this, thank you for the tip!

Finally a market for the excess cats.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/30/22 03:44 AM

***see LT Grey for "fox bait" fresh or tainted. He's got it wink

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/30/22 12:51 PM

Sounded like you thought paying the government a tax makes you some special treatment? I don't see how paying a tax to own your dog does you are anyone else any good.? Maybe it gets you into the in crowd?

I suppose if I want to let my cats run my 96 acres or if I let my dogs out with out a leash my yard may be large enough to satisfy your requirements for that? I mean it is many times larger than any dog park I have seen.

That dog tax is something the govt came up with, not me. I disagree with it and just wonder why cats aren't included. Its liking taxing pickup trucks but not cars.

At the gate, or in the middle, it don't matter to me. Just don't cry when they go astray due to your irresponsibility.

All part of my suggestion to the OP.
Don't give cats , or any of your pets/animals free range. (unless of course you 96 acres or more smile )

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/30/22 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Crowfoot

That dog tax is something the govt came up with, not me. I disagree with it and just wonder why cats aren't included. Its liking taxing pickup trucks but not cars.

At the gate, or in the middle, it don't matter to me. Just don't cry when they go astray due to your irresponsibility.

All part of my suggestion to the OP.
Don't give cats , or any of your pets/animals free range. (unless of course you 96 acres or more smile )

Fare enough and good examples of human nature. I steady od fighting a bs tax point out another group to tax as well.

I have delt with problem animals many times. Nothing like having a pack of dogs belonging to several of the new 3acre land owners chasing your horses when you pull in. Funny how mad they got when they looked over the side of a bridge down the road. Of course since they had been warned 2x they came straight to my door with the sheriffs. Didn't work out like they thought considering the same deputies they showed up with were the ones that told me to shoot them. The neighbors went from smug to tucking tail pretty fast.

So I agree don't get mad when fluffy gets shot. I also feel sorry fro every dog thet is locked in a pen, house or on a lead 90% of its life. That's not how they were born to be. Well at least the breads of dog's I would own anyway. The small companion dogs are not what I'm talking about. I wouldn't own them. Dogs should have a job I think. Right now my border collies job is laying here watching me and waiting for me to make a move toward my boots so she can go for her morning run while I'm feeding stock.
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Excluding Housecats - 11/30/22 03:57 PM

I see a lots of house cats on the roads lately, odd given the low prices of fur this season. Darn roads department mowers I guess smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums