Home

New Pet....

Posted By: Nessmuck

New Pet.... - 11/29/22 03:35 AM

[Linked Image]

This Barred Owl has been hanging out ..near the Ram Pen for the last month.

My son got with in 25 feet of it tonight for this pic.

This owl dove at our Welsh Terrier the other night...and little poopie almost had a mouthful of owl...lol
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 03:48 AM

Awesome
Posted By: Boco

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 04:05 AM

Thats a bad omen.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 04:13 AM

Bared owels are cool have them at camp all summer. I saw a saw wit for the first time last winter they are very small.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 04:18 AM

I thought this was going to be pictures of a new girlfriend or wedding pictures.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Thats a bad omen.

Ya it is, they give me awful gas.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 04:37 AM

That's what a chicken klin SOB looks like.

One got 9 of my chickens in one night last year.

We saw him o e other time a day or 2 later.

It only got chickens one night.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 04:47 AM

Thats a bad omen.

X2

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Thats a bad omen.

Ya it is, they give me awful gas.

I wouldnt make fun of that if I was you.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 09:06 AM

I'd rather have an owl hanging around for mice than a cat. Never heard of an owl being a bad omen. I find owls fascinating
Posted By: trapNH

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 09:55 AM

The only good one is one that is toad kill.
Posted By: Actor

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 05:25 PM

How about a poem... who is the purveyor of the future... One that I wrote...

Garry-
==========================

Mister Owl

Mister Owl, Mister Owl please speak to me.
Tell me of the future, that I can not see.

Tell me of your moaning’s and howls ….
Those piercing calls, that wrench my bowels.

Who is the one and what do you forecast.
Please tell me my story and how long it will last.

Will peace come to me, by disease or what way?
Will it be slow to come or will I have a say?

For it has been foretold, more years than I can recall ….
That once I had found true love, I would have had it all.

That day has come, with the greatest of Love.
I guess my time is over, and I will go up above.

Mister Owl, Mister Owl, call no more for me.
I‘m at the end of my story, as you can plainly see.

July 10, 2005

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 05:34 PM

That is an excellent poem Actor.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 05:37 PM

They say when an owl visits you,someone is going to die.

I rehabbed a great horned owl when I was a boy. It was pretty cool.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 06:13 PM

And here I was thinkin' you got another one of these: Shame on me.

[Linked Image]

Back in the 60's before the Horned Owl was protected in MN, I raised one from a chick that a neighbor boy found under a nest. I paid him 50 cents for it and had it for a number of years. It was very interesting. I fed it muskrat carcasses and chipmunks, red squirrels, crows, and snowshoe hares. When tethered out in the open, it made the best crow decoy imaginable. Many crows fell before him and their meat was appreciated by him as well.
Nice owl pic, Nessmuck!

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
They say when an owl visits you,someone is going to die.

That is what I have heard... and further more, so the tail goes... "If an owl visits you, and calls out, someone is going to die, and if it calls out 3 times, you are going to die."

That was the inspiration for my poem above. The owl was sitting on my dock looking at me through my window one night. It gave 3 hoots and I shivered at the thought and wrote that poem.

Garry-
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 11:32 PM

An Owl at night is good fortune

Re: New Pet.... - 11/29/22 11:55 PM

Yea for Dracula.

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 12:08 AM

Yea for Dracula.

Right... the lady that told me the quote, Posted above, was from Romania... When she was at my place the owl started in she would start crying or leave.

Garry-
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 12:10 AM

Thought maybe you brought home another goat
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 12:34 AM

I was told by an elderly native lady that if you see an owl while hunting, go home it means no game for you that day. I didn't believe it and have seen many owls while hunting but never got any critters those days. But I still keep hunting when I see one cause it can't be true right?
Posted By: T-REV

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 12:42 AM

Back when I was about 20. I was heading home from my girlfriend’s house and a little screech owl glided out of the trees right in front of my F250. It made me sick I thought I killed him for sure. When I got home I noticed he was alive in the grill. He just took a ride to my house. I had a pair of thick welding gloves in the truck. I put them on and freed him from the grill. He sat there looking at me for a bit. I literally said “Im sorry”. Then he flew off. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: nightlife

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by MnMan
And here I was thinkin' you got another one of these: Shame on me.

[Linked Image]

Back in the 60's before the Horned Owl was protected in MN, I raised one from a chick that a neighbor boy found under a nest. I paid him 50 cents for it and had it for a number of years. It was very interesting. I fed it muskrat carcasses and chipmunks, red squirrels, crows, and snowshoe hares. When tethered out in the open, it made the best crow decoy imaginable. Many crows fell before him and their meat was appreciated by him as well.
Nice owl pic, Nessmuck!

I had one for several years as well, only I climbed the tree to get it, still have the scar from getting hit by one of the parents when i was by their nest, went right through a good shirt and Jean jacket and opened my shoulder up like it was cut by a knife

She was a good and interesting pet as long as she was well fed, when she got hungry she turned into the wicked witch, had no fear of anything, I once seen her backdown the neighbors German shepherd a dog ever kid in the neighborhood was scared of, she ended up latched onto the dogs head with accompanying screaming and howling followed by the dog hightailing it home, followed by a visit by an irate neighbor upset by having his dog hurt, I don’t not know what was better watching that dog get its comeuppance or my dad who only came up to the guys shoulder pretty much doing the same to it’s owner and all without even raising his voice

I have several Native American friends who if they hear an owl call will turn and walk away from the area
Posted By: T-REV

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 11:43 AM

I have sat in the stand before and had a large owl land in the pine tops a couple trees over. He gave off a few calls and flew off. Cool to see but eerie as crap when its still dark in the morning and you hear a loud whooping sound of the wings and crashing of branches.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 02:57 PM

I guess it's been enough years ago to admit. I have picked up several raptors that have been hurt most hit by vehicals. The first was a red tail I found while rabbit hunting. I called the CO and took it to the zoo my wife worked at. They looked it over then flew it to a rehabilitation center in northern Indiana where it was later released. The last one was a bard owl I found on the interstate 64 just past the 105 exit. It had a broken leg it was Thanksgiving a few years back. I picked it up covered it head and took it with us. We got a hold of the rehab center at Harty lake and I drove it up to them a few days later when they were open. It was released 7 months later.

One bard owl I picked up had a broken wing and blood dripping off its beak and could not keep its eyes open. I figured it would die for sure but couldn't leave it in the road to be hit or on the side for coyotes to eat so I picked it up with the intent to getting it to a rehabilitation center. I set its wing feed and watered it when I got home and put it in a dark quit spot. I had forgotten about the wife's plans that morning and my leisurely drive through the mines made us late and she was not happy when I got home.
I forgot about that owl for a few days tell I heard it moving around. It was a weekend and I couldn't get ahold of anyone again. At that point I started wondering if I turned it over if I would get in trouble for having had it a few weeks. So being young I just keep it. When it's wing had healed and it could fly around it's inclosure I feed it all it would eat for a few weeks then left the door open. It flew up to the top of a tree and hung out. She ended up calling in a mate making a nest 70 yards off the back porch each nesting seasion for the next 6 years. My daughter was very small and loved taking the turkey locator owl hooter out and would hoot back and forth with it . They are a very neat animals.

If I ever get time and can find someone to take me as an apprentice falconer I would like to do that but 10 to one it will never happen.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 03:06 PM

Almost as bad as seeing three crows, as far as bad omens go..................
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Actor
How about a poem... who is the purveyor of the future... One that I wrote...

Garry-
==========================

Mister Owl

Mister Owl, Mister Owl please speak to me.
Tell me of the future, that I can not see.

Tell me of your moaning’s and howls ….
Those piercing calls, that wrench my bowels.

Who is the one and what do you forecast.
Please tell me my story and how long it will last.

Will peace come to me, by disease or what way?
Will it be slow to come or will I have a say?

For it has been foretold, more years than I can recall ….
That once I had found true love, I would have had it all.

That day has come, with the greatest of Love.
I guess my time is over, and I will go up above.

Mister Owl, Mister Owl, call no more for me.
I‘m at the end of my story, as you can plainly see.

July 10, 2005

Wow! Nice job!
Posted By: gcs

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 10:13 PM

Where do you guys learn some of this stuff? lol
Shoot ,around here y'all would never get out of bed for all the hooting going on. grin
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 10:53 PM

Thats a bad omen.

Are you really afraid of owls?

Re: New Pet.... - 11/30/22 10:57 PM

No ,I am not afraid of death.I just said owls are a harbinger of death and a bad omen.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: New Pet.... - 12/01/22 11:52 AM

Interesting. I know you are not alone in that belief. Everybody has their own take on things. To me, they are just a cool bird of prey.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums