Home

Heavy duty #1 longsprings

Posted By: Raptortrapper

Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 05:50 AM

Just curious- Who makes the best, heavy duty, #1 longspring? I don’t care if it’s a manufacturer that isn’t made anymore, or one that is currently in production. Someone has to be a #1 longspring guru on here!
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 05:55 AM

Original Blake and Lamb. Way stouter than newer 're branded' traps that use the name.

Charlie
Posted By: waggler

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by chas3457
Original Blake and Lamb. Way stouter than newer 're branded' traps that use the name.

Charlie

THIS !!! find some circa 1970's-1980's.
It had to do with the superior geometry in the bend in the long spring, the B&L was a "U" shaped bend, whereas the Victors had a "V" shaped bend. All of the B&L long-springs were like this. I really liked the #4's for beaver trapping; much better than the Victor.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 06:22 AM

Old newhouse if you can find any.

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 06:23 AM

Good to know!!!! Thanks for this info. Any other recommendations for current production? I’m going to be on a search for these older B&L’s when I finish this post. I’m looking at getting these as a gift for a buddy in Idaho that has been helping me, so would like new traps, but now I know what to look for in older stuff if there’s nothing new that is equal to them.

I suppose the same goes for #1.5 longsprings too? Original B&L there also?
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 11:18 AM

Agree on the Blake and lambs. I added booster springs one year to a. Bunch of Vic #1s and moved the chain to end opposite the spring and added swivels. Held a lot of coon in those. The Blake and lamb didn’t need a booster spring.
Jim
Posted By: 160user

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Raptortrapper
Good to know!!!! Thanks for this info. Any other recommendations for current production? I’m going to be on a search for these older B&L’s when I finish this post. I’m looking at getting these as a gift for a buddy in Idaho that has been helping me, so would like new traps, but now I know what to look for in older stuff if there’s nothing new that is equal to them.

I suppose the same goes for #1.5 longsprings too? Original B&L there also?

I agree with B&L. You may want to see if Wissmiss has any. She is in Idaho so shipping would be cheap to get them to your buddy.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 11:29 AM

B and L with the u shaped spring! They hold like a vise. Great coon trap. You can make older Victors about the same if you add an auxiliary lightening spring.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 12:36 PM

One thing I noticed about the old B&Ls are if you dont have the spring hole the whole way down when pulling the jaws apart to set- they would bend pretty easily at the jaw tips. That seemed to be a weak point with them. I dont see how they were more heavy duty than any other trap of the era. Go with Newhouse, or at least a cast jaw trap.
Posted By: Ric

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 01:14 PM

If you are asking about over all construction. The original North Woods were very heavily constructed. As a user trap I consider them superior even to a Newhouse. Heavy construction, thick jaw material, strong triumph style springs, Post pan with bolt and good chain. Still not terribly difficult to find.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 01:16 PM

And Ric those old north woods some had adjustable pans…well ahead of their time. grin
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ric
If you are asking about over all construction. The original North Woods were very heavily constructed. As a user trap I consider them superior even to a Newhouse. Heavy construction, thick jaw material, strong triumph style springs, Post pan with bolt and good chain. Still not terribly difficult to find.

X2! I have some 1 1/2 Northwoods and they are built like a tank.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 02:03 PM

I forgot about Northwoods. I never had any longsprings of theirs, but if anything like the coils, they have to be good.
Posted By: Scott T

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 08:43 PM

I don’t know about the #1 but Sleepy Creek #11 are really good traps.

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
I agree with B&L. You may want to see if Wissmiss has any. She is in Idaho so shipping would be cheap to get them to your buddy.

Any contact info by chance? Or is there another site to keep an eye on for older traps like this?

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ric

THIS is what I wanted, just didn't know how to say it in my original post. I want something "built like a tank". I'll keep looking for those blake and lambs that were mentioned earlier, but I know this Northwoods is the type of trap my buddy would want, and it's also good news to hear they aren't to terribly hard to find. Now to find some....

Suggestions??
Posted By: caldwellite

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 10:18 PM

Rocky Mountain Fur in Caldwell has alot of older traps they sell.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scott T

Those older ones with the round pan are awesome.

As far as the Northwoods, I searched for quite a while to get some. They're out there but most want to hang on to them.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 160user

Any contact info by chance? Or is there another site to keep an eye on for older traps like this?

You can contact Wissmiss on the forum. Use the user list, 'w'
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ric

THIS is what I wanted, just didn't know how to say it in my original post. I want something "built like a tank". I'll keep looking for those blake and lambs that were mentioned earlier, but I know this Northwoods is the type of trap my buddy would want, and it's also good news to hear they aren't to terribly hard to find. Now to find some....

Suggestions??

Put a wtb post on the trap shed. Has always worked for me.

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/29/22 11:02 PM

Thanks! Will do. Didn’t know if that was allowed,

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/30/22 04:31 AM

Still been doing some research on finding some heavy duty #1 longsprings, or even some #1.5 longsprings. Came across some reviews of the Sleepy Creek traps. Apparently they were recently bought out, and now back to making traps. Are these "built like a tank" like was mentioned with the North Woods longsprings?

Thanks for all the help. Ya'll have been great.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/30/22 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Scott T

The guy that trapped the Otters for Mo's re stocking prgram used SC #11'S, he reported very few losses, and ZERO foot damage was a requirement.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Heavy duty #1 longsprings - 11/30/22 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ric

Suggestions??

Finding them isn't nearly as hard as getting the owners to part with them! LOL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums