Home

Sidewinder circular saw???

Posted By: 2zwudz

Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 06:17 PM

Im looking to get a new sidewinder (not a worm drive) circular saw. What saw do you recommend?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 06:58 PM

I had to look up that term. That’s the first time I’ve heard a regular circular saw referred to as a sidewinder. I didn’t know that was a thing.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 07:31 PM

while I have been very happy with my Milwaukee and it has been running a long time, I use the rigid battery operated saw more now , just so eady to not have to run a cord unless I am cutting a bunch of stuff , I missed the worm drive because of the blade on left side that I used to use working construction.

I see Skilsaw does a blade on left "side winder" I also had to look that term up it appears to be a Skilsaw branding name

being right handed getting the guard out of the way with my left hand thumb and seeing the blade though was easier , it probably depends on what exactly you are cutting like sheet goods I want the saw on the sheet not what I am trimming off but also don't want to have to lean way over the whole sheet

i may be odd , I also bought a lefty bait casting reel

it would be nice if they put a rafter hook on it , seems like every saw should come with a rafter hook these days
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 07:40 PM

worm drive used to be the "standard" circular saw. That's why the sidewinders got a nickname when they came along - so you could tell them from the "standard" worm drive that everyone already had.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
I had to look up that term. That’s the first time I’ve heard a regular circular saw referred to as a sidewinder. I didn’t know that was a thing.

I served my apprenticeship in Southern California in the early 60’s and I worked on a commercial building framing crew and the saw we used was a side winder saw. Must be a west coast term.
Posted By: white17

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 07:51 PM

Generally sidewinders have inadequate torque for all the things a guy needs to do.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 07:59 PM

If you are asking about regular corded 7 1/4 saw Porter Cable or Makita get my vote.
Though I have not used every modern model made.

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 08:00 PM

I was remodeling the Security Police building at Clear AFS in early 90’s. Lots of outside work all winter. Worm drives had to be kept warm so I bought a Rockwell side winder and it had a grease fitting that I could grease it with low temperature grease and that ended the problem with having to keep saws warm.

I suppose I could have flushed the gear box on the worm drive and that would have worked. Didn’t think of that!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 08:40 PM

I have never been able to figure out how a righthanded person uses a sidewinder; plus a worm-drive is much more stable and seems to make a truer cut.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 08:42 PM

I’ve been using a pair of Dewalt 13 amp, 11 pound circular saws since I went into business in 1996. They are just regular circular saws, I guess that’s what you guys call sidewinder saws.

Anyhow they have served me well over the last 26 years. And I never thought they were inadequate in any way, torque or otherwise.

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 09:05 PM

Worked on 9 bridges on the I5 and no power saws. The company kept all our hand saws sharp every week. Then I worked on a framing crew framing 8 plexus and only saw on the job was the one the stair guy had. Everything came Pre cut on flat bed trailers, even all the blocking. Every day and one half we completed one. Day after day!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 09:23 PM

This is what I use.
[Linked Image]

Porter - Cable
1 left hand blade
1 right hand blade

Both 15amp - 5800 rpm - electric brake - magnesium base
Approximately 15-20 years old. No issues ever. Both work great.

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar
This is what I use.
[Linked Image]

Porter - Cable
1 left hand blade
1 right hand blade

Approximately 15 years old. No issues ever. Both work great.

Look brand new!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
This is what I use.
[Linked Image]

Porter - Cable
1 left hand blade
1 right hand blade

Approximately 15 years old. No issues ever. Both work great.

Look brand new!

I don't do huge amounts of carpentry. Plus these cost a fair amount , I think I paid about $125 each when I bought them. I try to take good care ( mostly ) of my tools , always keep them in their cases and stored indoors in a climate controlled environment. Pay a decent buck for something , ya take care of it. Also I don't loan them out , that's a huge factor too.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 11/30/22 11:54 PM

This is what I use.
[Linked Image]

Porter - Cable
1 left hand blade
1 right hand blade

Approximately 15-20 years old. No issues ever. Both work great.

I use the one on the right. I have had it for almost 30 years. It has a lot of miles on it and has been a good one. It has built a house, a two story garage, 30 x 60 barn, and numerous out buildings and decks. I don't know if the new ones are the same quality.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 12/01/22 01:25 AM

I am still using the Makita saw I bought in 1990. I worked on a framing crew for three years, using that saw daily. It's been used moderately since then, but it is my favorite circular saw, by far. I've used most of the others, but the Makita fit me best. I think the model is 5007 NM-B. It is the saw with the aluminum bed. They made one with a steel bed, at the time, that was junk. I've only replaced the cord a couple times because my help had a habit of cutting them in two.
Posted By: 2zwudz

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 12/01/22 01:50 AM

The Makita was the one i was looking for but none of our big box stores carried them.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 12/01/22 01:58 AM

I also use the makita 5007f , I’ve made thousands of cuts with mine, for the money you can’t beat them, and it doesn’t have that sideways torque that cranks on your elbow like a worm saw does.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 12/01/22 02:56 AM

What's a rafter hook?

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 12/01/22 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
What's a rafter hook?

it is a hook that attaches to your saw it folds down to be out of the way when you don't want it , then flips out to habg on a 2x board so you are not trying to ballance your saw some place or alwasy setting it on the ground
you can hang it on the saw horse , floor joist , ladder , scafold or rafter

https://thetoolscout.com/what-is-a-rafter-hook-on-a-circular-saw/
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 12/01/22 04:39 AM

Thanks, kinda thought that's what it was I've never seen or head of one before, can see it would be handy.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 12/01/22 05:22 PM

Using 7 1/4 blades get pretty beat up. Try buying a Diablo blade. Its thinner and will run a very long time without dulling. Home Depot.

Past experience here and my son having built my house and two of his. Not anymore than 2-3 blades used on all 3 homes combined.

They even have a 10" blades. Cost is a little higher. Not much though.
Posted By: trapper red 315

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 12/01/22 06:19 PM

circular saws in fact dont really cut in circles.......................................

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 12/01/22 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by trapper red 315
circular saws in fact dont really cut in circles.......................................

nope they call those hole saws
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Sidewinder circular saw??? - 12/01/22 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by trapper red 315

nope they call those hole saws

Not that hard to cut a circle with a circular saw. I am sure the technique is shown on the web somewhere. You start with the blade just barely exposed through the foot and keep slightly extending it after each revolution.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums