Home

Does anyone adjust their traps?

Posted By: Toptrapper1

Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 10:32 AM

Over.the last year i have been purchasing a large variety of foorholds and none came in with any kind of adjustment
I know the manufactor names of traps may have changed but Charlie Dobbings book on trap adjustment has principles that apply to all traps made. I think many sellers are 3rd person selling but i would think if you put fully adjustable in the add you may get mote gor them or at minimum a good review. And by the way a well adjusted trap will always out perfom a straight out the box.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 10:42 AM

The problem your gonna face there is what is an well adjusted trap from peron to person.
The perfectly adjusted say #2 bridger for one trapper doing one thing might as well be the worst thing in the planet for the next. Say you adjust all your #3's with a 2lbs pan tension short throw and O idk what a super stake. For the guy sinf those in MN where it stays a solid 20 degrees all season and he's really after fox and need that taller jaw to reach though the snow that could be the perfect adjustment and set up.
But for ole boy down in north Mississippi who bought them for coyotes that light pan tension and short throw adjustment will just lead to snapped traps due to the freeze thaw or just palin being too light for yotes.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 11:01 AM

If I buy tools the wife will expect me to use them.
I actually heard that from someone.

My user traps are worth more than out of the box
but don't dare tell this on here lol.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 11:12 AM

What wolfdog said. No two people seem to like their traps just the same. For example, I like my traps short latched. When they're set, they're on a hair trigger. My husband hates that and would rather either have a night latch or else just pull the pan down to where he wants it after he sets it.

And as for laminations, I'm pretty picky. Most of the traps I've seen sold already laminated I wouldn't own.

And then you have chain length... even a matter of adding extra swivels can get complicated. How many links of chain between swivels? I like only 2 links in between swivels. Some guys like 4, or a dozen or more.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 12:37 PM

As said above there are many ways to adjust a trap to suit the one setting those traps .But it is to nearly anyone trapping to make some basic adjustments to improve the ability of the trap to catch and hold the target it is intended for .
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 12:45 PM

I got that book too, good one. I know I’ll be putting swivels at the base of legholds if I’m using a drag in the bush. I find some of the used coni bears I bought are finiky….super sensitive. Pans I set to 3-4 lbs, still got fox in them. They were lighter when I got them.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 01:14 PM

I plan on tuning my traps- to me it is like sighting in a rifle- it needs done and I'd never expect anyone else to get it the way I like it.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper
For example, I like my traps short latched. When they're set, they're on a hair trigger. My husband hates that and would rather either have a night latch or else just pull the pan down to where he wants it after he sets it.

I knew there was something odd about you! LOL

You should listen to your husband! grin
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 01:44 PM

Older i get, the less i want to play with adjusting traps. I did everything when i dirst started. Now i pretty mucu just cteck to see if they fire when they're supposed to.
Posted By: caldwellite

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 05:27 PM

Charles adjustment and Thompson's Snares and Snaring books should be mandatory reading for beginner trappers. I enjoy tuning every trap,it makes setting easier for me.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by yotetrapper
For example, I like my traps short latched. When they're set, they're on a hair trigger. My husband hates that and would rather either have a night latch or else just pull the pan down to where he wants it after he sets it.

I knew there was something odd about you! LOL

You should listen to your husband! grin

Or get back in the kitchen,lol.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Does anyone adjust their traps? - 12/01/22 08:12 PM

grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums