Home

Here we go again

Posted By: jbyrd63

Here we go again - 12/02/22 01:44 AM

Yep empty shelves starting to appear again. Local Kroger almost out of eggs and ZERO of any kind of half gal of milk
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 01:46 AM

Those organic eggs don’t count because they’re 5-6 bucks a carton
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 01:47 AM

Did you happen to ask a manger or somebody why they are out? Just curious what the reason is.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 01:50 AM

How long does it take for a chicken to lay an egg or a cow to produce a gallon of milk? Shelves will be full tomorrow. Geeze Louise!
Posted By: Craig S.

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 01:53 AM

A half gallon of milk is only thirty cents less than a full gallon … your better off just buying the gallon .
Posted By: charles

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 01:54 AM

Not here. Eggs still cheap.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 01:57 AM

No lettuce at the local Wendy's.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 02:07 AM

[Linked Image]
Look behind the empty egg crates. I marked them in red
Are you really the dumb? Asking for a friend
Posted By: corky

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 02:36 AM

Roundys here had 6 tomatoes this morning and they were substandard quality.
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by wetdog
[Linked Image]
Look behind the empty egg crates. I marked them in red
Are you really the dumb? Asking for a friend

Geez, don't be so hard on the ol' boy. He ain't got arms long enough to reach all the way back there! grin
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 03:08 AM

Regulur large eggs here are 585 a Dozen and a gallon of milk is 5 bucks
But hey shelves are full and I don’t see any mean tweets anymore.
$1.15 for a 6oz container of yogurt. Used to be 45 cents
Posted By: WANNABE-TRAPPER

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Regulur large eggs here are 585 a Dozen and a gallon of milk is 5 bucks
But hey shelves are full and I don’t see any mean tweets anymore.
$1.15 for a 6oz container of yogurt. Used to be 45 cents

I can get 60 eggs delivered to my house for under 15 bucks.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 03:20 AM

Eggs here are running about 4 bucks a dozen at the Kwik Trip. I bought 7.5 dozen eggs at sames for a little over 10 dollars.

1.8 million chickens were just destroyed in Nebraska from avian flu.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 03:29 AM

I have 35 chickens they eat a $17 bag of feed every 3 days.

The chick's cost 1 to 3.50 each depending on breed. Tha take several months before they start to lay. Time under a heat lamp a few die. Then in the winter they nearly quit laying. I got two eggs today. I could put a light on them and increase winter egg production.

I don't think I break even if all my cost are added in at $4 a dozen. It's just an extra convenience for our customers bringing people to our farm. We like the birds so that helps. People wast money on a lot of hobbies mine just happens to be farm related. I even generate income on some of it. One day I will make a profit.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 03:34 AM

How did you not see that coming?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
How did you not see that coming?

I know how it is and am fine with it. Just pointing it out for those that think $4 eggs are expensive. I went out for breakfast with mom last week. Those factory farmed restaurant eggs almost got thrown in the trash. They tasted horrible.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 05:09 PM

Winter is the lower egg producing time for our domestic and commercial laying operations. We still have some avian flu issues nation wide. also the holiday season is the busiest baking time so egg usage goes up as well.
Input costs for producing milk, meat, eggs etc. is high especially feed costs so that also limits production. No real reason for an operaton to put too much supply out there when it then lowers prices below the cost of production for too long of a period. Rember 20-30 years ago when eggs were bad for us? I guess were passed that now.

Bryce
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 05:28 PM

I bet my rear that some old folks around there have a yard full of laying hens. Most down here sell eggs and I darn sure buy em from these good folks
Posted By: MJM

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 05:43 PM

I give eggs away all the time. I don't want to drive to town to sell a few dozen eggs. I give them to the UPS and Fed X drivers and will haul them to town and give them away. I trapped a beaver for the last load of chicken feed I got. I don't pay for sack feed. Go talk to a grain farmer and buy it from them loose. It will cost half as much.
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 06:43 PM

never pass up the opportunity to trap nuisance critters for elderly folks or widows and widowers. Especially if they dont have the means to pay you. They may or may not have the ability to help you out later on but most of them, know every soul in the community that can hook you up with eggs, milk and other things. Chickens, hogs or whatever you may need. Granted there are those who will take advantage of you in the long run. They are, from my experience, very few.

In the current state of affairs, you young and new trappers, please heed the above advice.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

The chick's cost 1 to 3.50 each depending on breed. Tha take several months before they start to lay. Time under a heat lamp a few die. Then in the winter they nearly quit laying. I got two eggs today. I could put a light on them and increase winter egg production.

I don't think I break even if all my cost are added in at $4 a dozen. It's just an extra convenience for our customers bringing people to our farm. We like the birds so that helps. People wast money on a lot of hobbies mine just happens to be farm related. I even generate income on some of it. One day I will make a profit.

Are your hens 2 yrs old and older?

You should be getting 25-30 eggs even now Unless they are in molt or older birds
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Here we go again - 12/02/22 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Are your hens 2 yrs old and older?

You should be getting 25-30 eggs even now Unless they are in molt or older birds

Mine quit laying every winter, even first year hens, unless I put a light on them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums