Home

Best farm investment ever.

Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 04:31 PM

This heated auto water tank is the best thing I've bought for the farm by far.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 04:34 PM

Is that self contained? How does it keep water, liquid water?
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 04:36 PM

Neighbor has exact same brand throughout his lots. Handier than a shirt on a pocket.

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
Is that self contained? How does it keep water, liquid water?

There is a small electric heater. It's insulated and only a small amount of water is in it at any given time
Posted By: run

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 06:52 PM

Cool, thank you for sharing.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 06:58 PM

You dern kids and all yer fancy new contraptions!

When I was your age I chopped is 8 ft thick both directions because by the time I got to the bottom the top had refrozen
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 07:18 PM

THey are handy for sure, but you have to drain them often to keep them clean, water will get foul in them. Cows will put alot of hay and poop in them. There is a brand called the JUG, that eliminates most of that problem.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 07:34 PM

Ritchie’s were scattered all over my farm when I bought it. Gpa had hogs and cattle all over at one point. They worked good but they were all wore out and I tore them out. I recently put in a couple of Cobett’s, they are ground heated.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
THey are handy for sure, but you have to drain them often to keep them clean, water will get foul in them. Cows will put alot of hay and poop in them. There is a brand called the JUG, that eliminates most of that problem.

Didn't know that

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 08:07 PM

Been running a bit over a month now and it seems like the water is pretty clean.
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
Neighbor has exact same brand throughout his lots. Handier than a shirt on a pocket.

Maybe, "pocket on a shirt"?

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

When I was your age I chopped is 8 ft thick both directions because by the time I got to the bottom the top had refrozen

I can barley ride a horse and need a head gate to work a steer. That's why I can't wear a big black hat!
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 08:58 PM

Made 4 miles from My house... Good Product.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 09:03 PM

How does water get in the tank?

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/08/22 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
How does water get in the tank?

A line from the well is buried 5' underground.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

I can barley ride a horse and need a head gate to work a steer. That's why I can't wear a big black hat!

cool
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 12:21 AM

I have Smidley brand waterers for my hogs. Game changer for sure.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 01:01 AM

We have a Ritchie and my Grandpa installed a lot of them. Many times I have been happy we have one. Ours is ice free due to electricity as well.
Posted By: wamp

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 01:10 AM

We had them on the farm back in the 60's in hog lot
Posted By: trapperdan93

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 02:17 AM

Slick set up!
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 03:06 AM

It's contraptions like this that are the reason we don't freeze up on a cool summer day like that "cold" spell you had a couple years ago about shoot the whole country down lol.

Donner, you water line is only 5' deep? Hope there isnt anyone driving over it.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 03:25 AM

Line depth is always interesting. Helped/did the work with my Grandpa doing plumbing, etc. Around here the depth is 3'.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 03:30 AM

Been around a long time, they work very well and have good longevity. Had some back in the 1960 so they have a proven record.

Bryce

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

It's contraptions like this that are the reason we don't freeze up on a cool summer day like that "cold" spell you had a couple years ago about shoot the whole country down lol.

Donner, you water line is only 5' deep? Hope there isnt anyone driving over it.

I actually drive over it in two places, we added insulation over it in those places so hopefully that will be enough. It does help that it runs often to help keep everything moving. It will be servicing 5 cows and 8 heifers this winter so they should keep it pretty busy.
Posted By: sandhillscoyotes

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 04:21 AM

I still do it the old way windmill with a 90 degree elbow on the lead pipe only have to chop ice if the wind quits blowing and that’s not often
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 04:47 AM

Donner, the insulation should make a difference.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

Been running a bit over a month now and it seems like the water is pretty clean.

Run your hand on the inside every so often, feel for slime, then pull the drain plug, swish the water around with your hand till clean. In the summer especially birds will drown in them also. With the Jug brand, the water tank part is seperated with a pipe and the cows actually suck the water out.
Posted By: jk

Re: Best farm investment ever. - 12/09/22 07:33 PM

Luftin Trapper "Handier than a shirt on a pocket." I am going to steal that, great saying....jk
© 2024 Trapperman Forums