Home

AR question

Posted By: Yes sir

AR question - 12/08/22 04:36 PM

I got an AR , palmetto lower , red x upper. 16" stainless slim profile barrel in 5.56 nato. Shots 1.5 groups at a 100yds with the best ammo I've tried on a good day and up to 3 inch groups or more with other good ammo on not so good days. Trigger isn't the best but I can over come that. Can a guy put together a better shooter without spending a bunch of money. Would the same setup shoot better with say a red x heavier and longer barrel? Would like a little better performance for shooting coyotes. Tried about 6 different loads and none of it being the real cheap stuff and none of it being super expensive stuff either.
Where do u think I'm losing the accuracy at? I'm guessing it's the bolt carrier or the barrel...????
Does seem to be quite over gassed ( I'm guessing that's the right term).
I'm not a gunsmith or AR nut so I looking for a simple fix without spending a bunch of money if it's possible. Would like to put together another one with same lower if I could get 1 1/2 groups with a wider range of ammo if possible.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 04:46 PM

Are you shooting 5.56 or .223 through it? What is your twist rate and bullet weight?
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 04:47 PM

I would try a better trigger.

Even higher priced ARs need the trigger swapped. First thing I did when I bought Daniel Defense weapons.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by AirportTrapper
Are you shooting 5.56 or .223 through it? What is your twist rate and bullet weight?

And these are good questions too.

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 04:48 PM

Tried both. From 70 grains to 55 grains I believe. The best is with the lighter bullets in 223. 1 in 9 I believe.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 04:52 PM

I would change barrels if it didn't shoot any better than that. AR stuff is cheap right now. Is this with open sights or are you using a scope, trigger upgrade makes a huge difference as well as optics. Depends on what ranges you will be shooting as to what the 100-yard accuracy needs to be. Replacing the handguard with a free floating one can help too. It's a 1 x 8 twist, what bullet weight are you shooting and is it FMJ ammo?

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56
I would change barrels if it didn't shoot any better than that. AR stuff is cheap right now. Is this with open sights or are you using a scope, trigger upgrade makes a huge difference as well as optics. Depends on what ranges you will be shooting as to what the 100-yard accuracy needs to be. Replacing the handguard with a free floating one can help too. It's a 1 x 8 twist, what bullet weight are you shooting and is it FMJ ammo?

Norma fmj all the others hollow points. Some mid range priced labeled target rounds. Could I expect better accuracy out of a different red x barrel or are they just not up to that quality. What reasonably priced barrels would u recommend. New mid range Athlon scope. Looking fir a 250 yd coyote gun.
Posted By: Savell

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 05:12 PM

... you’ll shoot your eye out kid

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Savell
... you’ll shoot your eye out kid

U only live once just as well go full speed

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 05:25 PM

Any suggestions on triggers, handguards, barrels or any other components would be appreciated if not too much trouble. Like I said I'm not an AR guru and theirs so many options it's a little confusing. Thanks.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 05:34 PM

I like my 3.5# PSA match drop in trigger. I got the flat version. It was on sale for $80 I think. Made a world of difference to me.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 05:36 PM

mine shoots everything put in it good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde_chamber

[Linked Image]
Posted By: btomlin

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 05:41 PM

^^^my 223wylde 1:8 does as well
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 05:45 PM

These triggers are very nice and crisp and easy to install. Full metal ammo is never good for an accuracy test in my opinion. I handload for accuracy with nosler ballistic tips for coyote hunting. You could try some, you might have to do more experimenting to get it sorted out. I have seen barrels that wouldn't shoot no matter what and needed to be used as a draw bar pin on the tractor.
The stock Palmetto triggers pretty much suck and always get replaced or polished and JP springs added.
If you have a friend with an AR that shoots well, put his upper on your lower and see what it does.
Have fun figuring it out and you will learn a lot.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: K52

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 06:20 PM

Knew a guy that worked at Sierra several years ago and he said the only reason they made 55 gr. fmj is because that was a best seller for them. He also said it was the least accurate round they made but the public wanted them. He said they can make a much more accurate jacket by drawing it up from the base like their match bullets, rather than the nose for the fmj.

I would look at White Oak Armament for barrels your 1-9 twist is too slow for 70 gr. and Rock River Arms for their 2-stage match trigger.
Posted By: K91773

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 06:30 PM

Does your rifle have a free float handguard on it or does it have a conventional front sight post and snap in handguards, does it have a carbine or mid-length gas system, did you buy it as a complete upper or did you buy a stripped upper and barrel etc. and put it together yourself?

Now realistically barrel length has little to do with accuracy at the ranges you are interested in, but barrel stiffness has a huge part in it, a short heavy barrel has better barrel harmonics (generally speaking) than a slimmer profile barrel or a longer barrel that is not as stiff. Palmetto State Armory has several complete uppers with free float handguards and various profile barrels on sale right now. I have had very good success with a 16" stainless 223 Wylde chambered barrel with free float handguard that I bought with them, it consistently shoots right around 1" with about everything you put in it except for cheap ball ammo which is still about 1.5 inches.

I am a big fan of the Larue triggers, I have other but I like the Larues better than any of them on a general use rifle, they have a smooth light trigger pull that is conductive to good accuracy but are heavy enough that you won't fire them to soon when your fingers are cold and stiff in the winter time.

I am not familiar with the RedX barrels so I can't speak about them.

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 08:18 PM

Mine is actually the light contour not M4 contour and is 1 in 9 twist. I bought the upper complete. Don't believe it's a free floated hand guard.
And thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 09:16 PM

Ok, I went on their website and looked to see what you may have but they don't offer anything currently in a light contour, but most of what they offered did have a free floating fore end. If you could post a picture it might help people help you. But if I was going to rebarrel the upper, I don't think I would go with them there is not enough difference in their price for barrels and those of known quality to make it worth the risk. I would look at the Palmetto State Arms uppers with either a nitride coated barrel, a stainless barrel or one of their premium line barrels. Their uppers really aren't anymore expensive than Red X because they usually include the BCG and charging handle in the published price. There are better barrels out there but these should get you easily into 250 yard coyote gun territory. Also as a side thought have you called Red X and talked to them about it, I suspect they will say that it is within spec at 1.5 inches because they refer heavily to their stuff being mil-spec and the military minimum standard is 4 MOA or at least it used to be.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 09:22 PM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102163288?pid=887715 - I have this trigger. It seems great to me for hunting. I'm not shooting paper.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
I would try a better trigger.

Even higher priced ARs need the trigger swapped. First thing I did when I bought Daniel Defense weapons.

This.
Posted By: MattLA

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 09:38 PM

PSA is a budget brand that is great for general use, but there are lots of things you could do to improve accuracy. Before I can recommend anything I would need to see your groups to be able to see whats happening. There are general things you can do in order to improve accuracy but really need to see you shooting at a target prone supported, paper, 25 yards. Just be advised with a thinner barrel than normal, you are not going to be able to shoot fast and maintain your grouping due to barrel heat. Even free floated barrels will move once heated from too many shots.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 09:53 PM

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/22...-handguard-spiral-fluted-scg2-nrail.html

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 10:34 PM

MattLA is correct, PSA is a budget brand, but they will do more than 99.9% of the people who use an AR will ever ask it to do. He is also right in that since your skill level is unknown to any of us it may not be the rifle. What others have also said is correct in that a bad trigger will turn a 1" rifle a 1.5" or 2" rifle very quickly. There are a ton of variables involved which are hard to diagnosis over the internet really all people can do is answer your specific question and there has been a lot of good advice given thus far.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: AR question - 12/08/22 11:09 PM

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

$89. MACHINED FROM TOOL STEELS. hugest quality and best prices drop in I have found
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: AR question - 12/09/22 12:06 AM

Before i would do anything, especially if I was new to ARs (i don't know if you are new to them or not), I would shoot one of my buddy's ARs that is a proven nail driver to rule out that the problem is my gun or just me being unfamiliar with ARs. It took me a while to get used to shooting one. Something about the recoil spring ringing in my ear bothered me to the point of losing my concentration.
I have overcome that since then and now all of my ARs miraculously have become much more accurate. smile
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: AR question - 12/09/22 12:08 AM

My short answer would be buy a better trigger and you might impress yourself. That plus match grade ammo or reloads might fix all yer grievances
Posted By: Marty

Re: AR question - 12/09/22 12:47 AM

you using a solid rest?

Re: AR question - 12/09/22 12:51 AM

I'm not a sharp shooter by some of you guys standards but I've got bolt rifles me and boys can constantly shoot sub Moa with and we all can shot our 270 right at Moa at 400 yds using our setup. Maybe an AR shoots different, this one is the only one we've shot. I put it together as a gun just incase the wheels fall of and I need it to keep me and family safe. Wasn't needing a tack driver and can live live with it for that. I'll drop another trigger in it and see what it does. I got a couple other lowers I bought just because I could and thought it a good idea to have them while I could get them. Was think about putting together another that shot a bit better or at least 1 1/2 moa to shot coyotes out to 250 with and was wanting information on to how go about that. Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it.

Do have a rem 788 with factory trigger that is terrible that I've shot for 30 years and I can shot sub moa at 100 yds all day long.

Re: AR question - 12/09/22 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Marty
you using a solid rest?

Shooting vise on front and sand bags on back

Re: AR question - 12/09/22 01:12 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gun appears to have a free floated hand guard
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: AR question - 12/09/22 01:44 AM

bag , bipod , rest?
rear bag
are you getting off that rather large gas block when you rest the gun to shoot your goups?

slim profile may ring it heat more more 1.5moa isn't all that bad that is all the better a lot of ammo will even do

1.5moa is 6 inches at 400 yards

that gun is sett up to be a light weight carbine , it is running a carbine length gas system , that upsets the rifle more and sooner than a mid length or rifle length
is it a round group?

for the role that gun is set up to serve 1.5moa is really not bad

what does the group look like at 200 yards?

what is your role for the gun , to be a light weight gun that is easy to carry and shoot or are you wanting a bench rest shooter
© 2024 Trapperman Forums