Home

CITES Tags Questions

Posted By: Steeltrap

CITES Tags Questions - 12/15/22 07:24 PM

Hey all,
I am hoping someone can educate me on CITES Tags.

1. Are they used anymore?

2. Are they in use?

3. What are they?

4. Where do you get them?

5. What are they used for?

6. What are they required for (Which animals, skins? Hides? etc.)

7. Are they affixed to a skin/hide?

If you know where I can look this info up myself for when/where I need to use them when trapping/hunting/fishing please let me know. I looked at the CITES sight and it's all lawyer talk, I need the dumb down version.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/15/22 07:27 PM

They are required for bobcats and otters. It's a federal requirement that they be attached before transferring the animal to someone else. Fox tags are a state requirement.
You can order them through the NC wildlife folks.
You can run them through the eye hole and snap the ends together.

https://www.eregulations.com/northcarolina/hunting/trapping-regulations

Sell or otherwise transfer ownership of the carcass or pelt of a fox*, bobcat or otter without first tagging it with the appropriate tag available from the Wildlife Resources Commission. Bobcat and otter tags are free of charge and $2.25 for fox*. Up to 50 bobcat tags and 150 otter tags may be issued per request. You may purchase these tags by tele­phone, 888-248-6834, using a Visa or MasterCard credit card, or you can mail your request along with the fee to: NCWRC, Bobcat/Otter/Fox Tags, 1707 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-1700. Include your name, address, date of birth and WRC number. *except where local laws do not require fox tagging.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/15/22 07:33 PM

NC Wildlife Regulations Digest Page 54

"It is unlawful to:

• Sell or otherwise transfer ownership of the carcass or pelt of a fox*, bobcat or otter without first tagging it with the appropriate tag available from the Wildlife Resources Commission. Bobcat and otter tags are free of charge and $2.25 for fox*. Up to 50 bobcat tags and 150 otter tags may be issued per request. You may purchase these tags by telephone, 888-248-6834, using a Visa or MasterCard credit card, or you can mail your request along with the fee to: NCWRC, Bobcat/Otter/Fox Tags, 1707 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-1700. Include your name, address, date of birth and WRC number. *except where local laws do not require fox tagging."

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/15/22 07:33 PM

Paul beat me to it!
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/15/22 08:26 PM

They charge $2.25 for a fox tag?? That’s just an extra slap in the face in today’s market!

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/15/22 09:18 PM

Not for the whole state, only for certain counties
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/15/22 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
They charge $2.25 for a fox tag?? That’s just an extra slap in the face in today’s market!

x2
Posted By: newtoga

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/15/22 11:22 PM

Georgia,Arkansas, and Ohio don’t charge for tags.
Posted By: Steeltrap

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 05:54 PM

Paul,
I am tracking on the fox and otter tags for NC. Where do I get the CITES tags for Bobcat and Otters from?

v/r,

Steeltrap
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 06:02 PM

Read Paul's first response. He has already answered your question.

Or go read the Trapping Regulations on the NCWRC website. Info about how to obtain fox or CITES tags is covered in the regulations.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Steeltrap
Paul,
I am tracking on the fox and otter tags for NC. Where do I get the CITES tags for Bobcat and Otters from?

v/r,

Steeltrap

From Paul's response above....

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Up to 50 bobcat tags and 150 otter tags may be issued per request. You may purchase these tags by tele­phone, 888-248-6834, using a Visa or MasterCard credit card, or you can mail your request along with the fee to: NCWRC, Bobcat/Otter/Fox Tags, 1707 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-1700. Include your name, address, date of birth and WRC number.

But what I don't get is in the first part is says CITES tags are free, and here is says you can purchase them. Which is it?
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 07:28 PM

This was the preceding sentence - Bobcat and otter tags are free of charge and $2.25 for fox*.

You would be paying for the fox tags, not bobcat and otter.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 07:57 PM

5. ...."what are they used for?"

Reasoning was/is to differentiate between look alike illegal species for international shipping.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 08:00 PM

Fox tag's? Am i missing something?
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 08:05 PM

No Jtrap, NC has Fox tags that are required for many counties that allow fox trapping. These Fox Tags have nothing to do with CITES.

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 08:07 PM

That is soooooooooooooooo dumb.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 08:13 PM

Fox must of been scarce in NC at some point. Here in Alaska, we had state tags for beaver, they were free but only allowed 25 a year.

We still have state wolverine tags, they are not a cites species. and some areas have state marten tags.

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 08:19 PM

No in the south the houndsmen did everything they could to ban trapping, is where all these dumb regulation's come from, just surprised no one has gone back and cleaned up the reg's since back in the stoned age when all this stupid crap was being passed.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 08:35 PM

I just call the game warden to get mine.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 09:47 PM

At one point in time not long ago, New York State had tags for coyotes. Surprised the heck out of me when I saw some at a NAFA sale.

Metal locking tags on beaver were very common in the 60s and 70s. Many western states had them. Oregon, Washington, idaho. The Oregon limit was 100.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/18/22 11:32 PM

Up until the late 80's in Colorado, you had to call the local warden and he would issue you permits for beaver. So many out of each drainage once you caught his imposed quota, he would come put the metal seal in the hide.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/19/22 12:11 AM

Cites are required for bobcat and otter, and wolf if they are leaving the country. Every state I have been in required them to be attached by a Fish and Game employee, so I'm surprised North Carolina would mail them. I believe the requirement of having an employee attach them was to verify the species. Since I regularly bring in bobcat hides frozen in a bread sack with a stick shoved through the eye and mouth so I can remove the stick from the frozen hide and insert the tag through the hole left by the stick without ever removing it from the bag, this verification is questionable.

Fisher I believe may also be a CITES animal, I have never trapped them (not legal here) but those I have seen at fur sales have all had a tag, just not positive if it is CITES or just state requirements. Lynx is also a CITES animal, as are I believe all spotted cats.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/19/22 12:19 AM

Lynx is a CITES animal

Fisher are not a CITES species. Never have been. Many states with fisher populations that are trappable require a state tag.

Black bear and grizzley bear are also a CITES animal. You need species permits and paperwork to export out of the US. State F&G tags are not acceptable for export.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/19/22 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
Cites are required for bobcat and otter, and wolf if they are leaving the country. Every state I have been in required them to be attached by a Fish and Game employee, so I'm surprised North Carolina would mail them. I believe the requirement of having an employee attach them was to verify the species. Since I regularly bring in bobcat hides frozen in a bread sack with a stick shoved through the eye and mouth so I can remove the stick from the frozen hide and insert the tag through the hole left by the stick without ever removing it from the bag, this verification is questionable.

Fisher I believe may also be a CITES animal, I have never trapped them (not legal here) but those I have seen at fur sales have all had a tag, just not positive if it is CITES or just state requirements. Lynx is also a CITES animal, as are I believe all spotted cats.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/19/22 12:22 AM

Illinois mails CITES tags also
Posted By: newtoga

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/19/22 01:07 AM

Ohio had metal tags for beaver in 60’s and 70’s also.
And a limit.
Now catch all you want no tags.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/19/22 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Fox must of been scarce in NC at some point. Here in Alaska, we had state tags for beaver, they were free but only allowed 25 a year.

We still have state wolverine tags, they are not a cites species. and some areas have state marten tags.

They are not really tags. It's a piece of plastic string that is pinkish orange that strings through as many marten eyes as you want. I don't even think they force us to string them anymore. Just fill out paperwork, and throw a piece of string in a box with the marten. It's more of a marten harvest count.
Posted By: warrior

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/19/22 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
No in the south the houndsmen did everything they could to ban trapping, is where all these dumb regulation's come from, just surprised no one has gone back and cleaned up the reg's since back in the stoned age when all this stupid crap was being passed.

Yup, it's why we don't have snaring for anything other than beaver. And the oldtimers in our associations are to scared to push for change.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: CITES Tags Questions - 12/19/22 02:17 PM

Some states hand out cities tags no charge. I assume the Fed department in charge ships to the states no charge. Then states like Illinois that can't handle its budget due to Democrat deals charge for the tags.

Illinois is $7.50 per tag. Can be ordered as needed from licensing agents. I complained a couple years ago to the CO that when an otter is worth $15 some people will start stuffing them back under the bank.

The old adage "you can't fix stupid" probably applies.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums