Home

Christmas Blizzard?

Posted By: yotetrapper30

Christmas Blizzard? - 12/21/22 09:32 PM

I have a hard time considering a storm that'll only bring 2-4" of snow (like in Chicago) a blizzard.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...mp;cvid=955e0213e0a1433980c07acd1b38d4d6

A major winter storm and cold blast will impact nearly every state and bring what the National Weather Service is calling a “once in a generation type event” that will cripple travel on some of the busiest travel days of the year.

The strengthening storm will bring more than a foot of snow and possible blizzard conditions to the Midwest, as the weather service warns of “life-threatening” wind chills for millions.

More than 90 million people are under winter weather alerts and more than 87 million are under wind chill alerts. The alerts stretch across 37 states, dipping as far south as the Texas/Mexico border.

The cold will stick around for Christmas weekend, making this the coldest Christmas in roughly 40 years for portions of the Plains and Midwest.

Storm timeline:
Wednesday: The storm will strengthen over the Northern Plains through the day as heavy snow falls across much of the Rockies, the Northern Plains and into the Midwest. Slick roads will lead to travel headaches and airport delays through places like Minneapolis, Omaha and Rapid City.

This system will bring 5 to 9 inches of light fluffy snow across the region, with “the highest amounts just north and west of the Twin Cities,” said the weather service office in Twin Cities. While snow will steadily fall across the region, the high winds won’t kick in until Thursday.

Denver will go from a high of 47 on Wednesday to a low of minus 14 on Thursday morning. That would be the city’s coldest day in 32 years, according to the weather service.

The Arctic cold front is approaching the Denver metro area, where temperatures are expected to plummet around 60 degrees by daybreak tomorrow. Temperatures will drop drastically once the front passes in the next couple of hours.

By sunrise, the temperature is expected to be around 10 degrees below zero and gusty north winds will create a wind chill of around minus 25. The high-temperature tomorrow will likely not make it above zero degrees.

A wind chill warning is in effect as well as a winter weather advisory. Several inches of snow will also make for difficult travel late this afternoon through early Thursday.

Thursday: Thursday will be the most difficult day for travel. The storm will be hitting the Midwest extremely hard with heavy snow and strong winds. Western Minnesota will face not only blizzard conditions, but potentially deadly wind chills Thursday and Friday.

“Whiteout conditions are expected during that time with travel becoming very difficult or impossible,” said the weather service. “This event could be life-threatening if you are stranded with wind chills in the 30 below to 45 below zero range.”

Chicago could also face blizzard conditions with winds gusting as high as 50 mph, with 2 to 4 inches of snow forecast.

“Overall, concern continues to increase in the quick development of dangerous conditions Thursday afternoon with potentially significant impacts to the evening peak travel window,” warned the weather service office in Chicago.

Additionally, strong winds may knock out power lines in the Midwest, especially in areas where heavy snow fell last week and is already weighing down tree branches. This will leave millions finding a way to stay warm as temperatures plummet to well below freezing.

Snow could fall as far south as Jackson, Mississippi, Memphis and Nashville in Tennessee and even Birmingham, Alabama, on Thursday. Little to no accumulation is expected for most of the southern cities, however, Nashville could pick up about an inch of snow.

In anticipation of what will be a week of travel nightmares, United, American, Delta, Southwest and Jet Blue have issued travel waivers for dozens of airports across the country from the South to the Northeast, because in addition to snow covering roadways, low visibility could make air travel dangerous.

Friday: The storm is expected to become a “bomb cyclone” Thursday evening into Friday. A bomb cyclone is when a storm rapidly intensifies – and drops 24 millibars (a term used to measure atmospheric pressure) in 24 hours.

The storm is expected to reach the pressure equivalent of a Category 3 hurricane as it reaches the Great Lakes, with the weather service describing the strength of the low a “once-in-a-generation” event.

“This is a case in which snow totals may not tell the whole story. Even small snow amounts, when combined with very strong wind gusts and plummeting temperatures, can cause poor visibility and slick spots on roads. The sudden arrival of these conditions can increase the danger,” the weather service explained.

The storm will be over the Great Lakes on Friday and continuing to produce heavy snow across much of the Midwest. Portions of Michigan could pick up more than a foot of snow by Friday, making travel impossible at times.

Heavy rain will also blanket much of the I-95 corridor, adding to the travel troubles and lengthy airport delays.

Even in places where the snow has ended, strong winds will continue to blow 30 to 40 mph across much of the Midwest and into the Northeast.

Friday night into Saturday morning, New England will get a quick shot of snow and windy conditions.

Places that will escape the snow, won’t escape the cold. Areas from eastern Montana through the Dakotas will experience the coldest air beginning Thursday morning. Temperatures will be running 40 degrees below normal for these places. The combination of cold temperatures and windy conditions will send wind chills as low as 50 degrees below zero.

Rapid City will feel like 45 degrees below zero on Thursday morning. By Friday morning, Chicago’s wind chill will bottom out at 30 degrees below zero.

“The dangerously cold wind chills could cause frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 5 minutes,” warned the weather service office in Bismarck.

Even the South will be dangerously cold. Nashville and Atlanta’s wind chill will drop to minus 11 on Saturday morning and Birmingham will feel like minus 5.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp on Wednesday declared a state of emergency due to the upcoming “historic low temperatures” across the state, with near zero or negative digit wind chills by midday on Friday.

The declaration will help “ensure that essential supplies, especially propane can be delivered for both commercial and residential needs,” the governor told reporters.

“Communities across the state are about to see temperatures that they haven’t experienced in a decade or more,” Kemp said.

The state will be pretreating roads and bridges in anticipation of the inclement weather and officials urged residents to avoid travel if possible.

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear also declared a state of emergency, with wind gusts expected to reach 40 to 50 mph on Friday and minus 10 to minus 26 degrees wind chills expected on Saturday. Beshear asked residents to stay off roads and to have a backup heat source.

Jackson and Birmingham will both spend more than 80 hours below freezing between Friday and Monday. Houston could sit below freezing for 46 hours between Thursday and Saturday.

The cold temperatures will stay through Christmas weekend, before finally moderating next week.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/21/22 09:41 PM

It is winter, right?
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/21/22 09:43 PM

"Bomb Cyclone" lol. Where do they come up with this stuff.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/21/22 09:49 PM

It's starting in Northern Wisconsin now coming down steady.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/21/22 09:52 PM

We are supposed to get 6 or 8 inches here and a bunch of wind and cold.
Dang if that does not seem to happen every winter. Was out of power for 2 days last week.
It is unfortunate for folks that are traveling for Christmas, flying really sucks with
the delays and cancellations. A lot of people who are driving some distance do not
have the proper outfit, so to speak and may not be the best winter drivers.
Good luck to all who are travelling.

Zim
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/21/22 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zim
We are supposed to get 6 or 8 inches here and a bunch of wind and cold.
Dang if that does not seem to happen every winter. Was out of power for 2 days last week.
It is unfortunate for folks that are traveling for Christmas, flying really sucks with
the delays and cancellations. A lot of people who are driving some distance do not
have the proper outfit, so to speak and may not be the best winter drivers.
Good luck to all who are travelling.

Zim

What I keep in mind during those driving conditions, Zim, is to think outside the box.

Put it in 4x4, go up onto the dang sidewalk and drive around them on the ice sheen road , as they slide into each other . I DID that in Seattle , uphill....I was the only one who didn't slide back down, hitting everyone else who did the same. A few guys standing off to the side saw me barreling uphill with traction on the sidewalk and applauded as I went by smile

Stay safe out there.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/21/22 10:00 PM

Sensationalism entered weather forecasting a few years back....About five years ago we were experiencing a garden variety thunderstorm, when thunder shook the local news station during the weather segment.

A female meteorologist proclaimed "seek shelter now" and ran off the set.

Always wondered how many elderly folk were injured due to that idiot, while trying to get to a safer location....Oh, and almost all of these meteorologist are lock-step with the climate change agenda it seems.

Posted By: Boco

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 12:18 AM

Time to get the fur out of the mothballs,and get out there and enjoy winter.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 12:30 AM

+37° In a Week.
A lot of Christmas Call ins and canceled plans for family getting together.

But...more daylight from now on out. grin
Posted By: Old pup

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 12:31 AM

You can have zero snowfall but still have a blizzard. It has to do with windspeed, duration and visibility. In our part of Minnesota, the blizzard warning kicks in AFTER the snow has stopped. Possibly 50 mph wind gusts.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 12:35 AM

I'm calling this the "Snowless Blizzard"
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 01:07 AM

I headed across the river into wi. this morning to pick up RX's,just as the snow started.Roads became slippery very shortly. Wind gusts tomorrow are supposed to increase as high as 50mph,windchills may hit 40 below.Road salt does not work on temps below 10 degrees,our temps will not get back up to that 10 degree mark for a few days.This means bad news for those of us who are driving,so many clowns refuse to slow down when conditions are bad.
White out conditions do not need large amounts of snow,when winds are high and snow is not the heavy white stuff.
Merry Christmas to all.
Tom

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 01:46 AM

Just went out and removed another 4inches of snow from the car. I cn see why we can have white outs when the wind picks up,this snow is so light and fluffy--and it is still snowing.
Tom
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 01:56 AM

Still warm here. 34. Supposed to start snowing about midnight. predicting 1-3 inchs. i think all this horroble storm talk is just to get people watching the weather channel. sell advertising. supposed to be cold friday saturday sunday. Just seems like normal end of Dec weather to me.

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 02:26 AM

Maybe in your area Danny,but its lousy around here,and we are used to lots of snow and cold temps. Thank goodness for global warming.
Tom

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 02:27 AM

I'm just hoping for an inch or so. We're not supposed to get any accumulation though. frown
Posted By: Marty

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 03:45 AM

50° forecast for end of next week here...
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 03:57 AM

It was 50 here today but the wind made it feel like 42 cool
Posted By: wallfur

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 04:02 AM

all roads closed here snowing and with wind gusts over 60
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 05:29 AM

Sensationalized weather forecast because you know that global warming climate Hoax needs to be pushed by the State run media so they can use it as an excuse to plunder our treasure.
Posted By: Roofbolter

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 06:09 AM

My Wife decided two weeks ago that she was going to wait until January to visit the Grandkids in Wisconsin. She is sure glad now. WV is scheduled for some cold and snow but nothing like Wisconsin. I like snow. It is easier to drag a deer out and if your sets are in they usually connect better!!!
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 08:15 AM

Cousin in Riverton Wyoming said 60 below tomorrow he said his wife is going to give the mountain lions a break I told here she was a wimp LOL
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Old pup
You can have zero snowfall but still have a blizzard. It has to do with windspeed, duration and visibility. In our part of Minnesota, the blizzard warning kicks in AFTER the snow has stopped. Possibly 50 mph wind gusts.

I grew with lots of snow in the UP and thought I had it figured out, but a few years ago I was watching snowfall reports while planning my February trip to California to visit my son. I didn't take into account the wind effect, and got stranded in southern Minnesota. It was several days before the roads in Iowa opened up, and most of the snow had fallen well before the blizzard.
Posted By: Buzzard

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 01:31 PM

Haha, just a normal winter stom, unfortunately on Christmas weekend for those traveling.

I do actually feel bad for those folk in the deep south that have

their water systems above ground, that will be a mess, the forecast

for the gulf coast is calling for lows in the teens on Friday nite

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 01:43 PM

Supposed to get down to 5 tonight here.

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Supposed to get down to 5 tonight here.

That's bad cold for where you live

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 01:53 PM

Yep. Expecting frozen pipes for Christmas. frown
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 01:55 PM

Supposed to warm up to 0 here. Its cold but its not unusually cold. We are getting light snow. Once again media is over hyping things. No blizzard here

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 01:57 PM

Hope they are steel pipes, my inlaws in Alabama on the gulf have pvc just under the ground, alot of folks have blown out there water lines to prevent a shattered mess

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Supposed to warm up to 0 here. Its cold but its not unusually cold. We are getting light snow. Once again media is over hyping things. No blizzard here

Just getting worse each passing year, I wonder sometimes if it's intentional for the new generation of stupidity ?
Posted By: whartonrattrappe

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 02:09 PM

Any native NYer should know to leave a facet trickling to prevent frozen pipes. wink
Posted By: corky

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 02:10 PM

This fluffy snow and high winds mean that a lot of the snow on the lake we live on will end up in our yard. Half the roof will be bare and the other half will be 4 feet deep and need shoveling. I really hate the wind.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 02:12 PM

Anybody still denying global warming just ain't right.

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by whartonrattrappe

Any native NYer should know to leave a facet trickling to prevent frozen pipes. wink

I'd Say...Wow

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by whartonrattrappe

Doesn't do enough when your main water lines are 2" under the ground. I mean, we'll try but they'll probably still freeze.

And naw, Buzz, we have 3/4 mile of the cheapest pvc pipe the previous owner could scrounge up, so shallow a good rain exposes sections of it.

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 02:54 PM

If this is a blizzard it's not here! We just got 4" of snow.
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 04:09 PM

Wind and light snow started here about 2:30 this morning. Temperature was 28 degrees. Right now it’s still light snow, wind ripping, and minus 1. Time for another cup of coffee with just a touch of Bayley’s Irish Cream and watch the birds at the feeder
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 04:39 PM

Our weather people are saying it's a winter storm but far from the storm of the century. This isn't something we've never experienced before. Driving conditions will be hazardous due to high winds blowing the snow over roadways causing whiteout conditions, especially in the country and open areas.
Posted By: billy

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 04:46 PM

ya another christmas storm, us old timers have been thru a few in our time and know how to survive no power i feel sorry for the people that have not the clue what to do as they did not grow up around here and learn how to survive a blizard...i try to tell people that they need a wood stove backup,candles flash ligts and fill up water containers and check on your neibors if you got any as it could be a few days for the county to open rds back up you all stay safe and merry chritmas .
Posted By: Boco

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 04:48 PM

Every storm is the "storm of the century"
I guess a century aint what it used to be.

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 05:07 PM

For those unprepared for the bomb cyclone blizzard, help is on the way. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 05:30 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 06:18 PM

grin
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/22/22 10:39 PM

The science of predicting the weather is still relatively new .The Allied troops used weather predictions to determine when and where they would attack . And we all want to pull up a weather report and know all the facts about the daily weather report So now the science of weather has become a ratings tools for the various weather stations And of course that means money is involved So it follows that the more sensational the repot is the more likely you will continue to go back to that channel to get additional reports And that is a huge reason why all the reports now have become so drama filled They are all in search of the #1 rating because that is $ in the pocket The better they are at making something out of what might turn out to be next to nothing the richer they get .And when they get it so wrong that it is laughable they just brush if of with what ever excuse applies
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 03:28 PM

LET IT SNOW... LET IT SNOW.... LET IT SNOW... smile smile smile
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 03:33 PM

I got all worked up brought my brass monkeys in side the other day. So far here to me it's been a none event. Unless something changes in next two days.. it's just typical WI weather.

Mac
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
I got all worked up brought my brass monkeys in side the other day. So far here to me it's been a none event. Unless something changes in next two days.. it's just typical WI weather.

Mac

Same thing here.
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 07:26 PM

only thing that seems out of the norm here is this amount of wind with the storm. yea its chilly but that isnt strange. the whole snow thing has been a non-event so far. completely hyped up by the forecasters. i doubt if we got over 6". hard to tell with the wind. just another winter storm
Posted By: kenny k

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 07:52 PM

2in snow but winds 45 or more....mines 4. And next Friday 50 degrees.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 08:20 PM

Currently -3°, with a feel like of -28°, gusts to 37 mph. Not much snow ... Couple of inches. Just a typical Wisconsin winter storm. Anyone the lives and works outdoors knows how to exist in this weather. way blown out of proportion by the news agencies.

Not like what we had a few years ago, when the snow drift across our patio was 7' tall. Now that was an unusual storm.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
[Linked Image]

I thought the Arctic was warming ??
Posted By: 1oldforester

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 08:59 PM

Every one seems to wax eloquent about a white Christmas until one really comes along. HoHoHo.

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 09:08 PM

We barely got a dusting of snow.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 09:31 PM

The winds here are pretty insane but not much new snow.

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 09:34 PM

-5 with -36 WC here. I really want to go out and pee to see what happens but finding a button on a fur coat is a tedious task. grin grin

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
-5 with -36 WC here. I really want to go out and pee to see what happens but finding a button on a fur coat is a tedious task. grin grin

Well i didnt have anything freeze midstream when i had to stop today when xhecking traps.

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 10:28 PM

Come on 1' of snow!!!!!
Posted By: John Shade

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 10:34 PM

Stopped on the way home from work. About a two hour drive with the ice and backed up traffic. While on my road, I preformed the test. Peed right in the middle of the road. Quickly omitted steam, then froze after a couple minutes. -10 with -39 wind chill at the time. Worth the stop

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by John Shade

Stopped on the way home from work. About a two hour drive with the ice and backed up traffic. While on my road, I preformed the test. Peed right in the middle of the road. Quickly omitted steam, then froze after a couple minutes. -10 with -39 wind chill at the time. Worth the stop

grin
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 10:46 PM

I would not right this storm off yet. It's just starting to turn around and come back at us from the north and then west more wind coming and looking like Munising is in the line of fire for the next day or two.

Re: Christmas Blizzard? - 12/23/22 10:53 PM

Unbuttoning fur Underwear is even harder (in a rush) grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums