Home

Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow

Posted By: AJE

Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 12/26/22 02:46 AM

Good luck to all of you who drew a tag

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 02:42 AM

It's been brutally challenging so far. The weather couldn't be much worse. I don't think I've ever seen so much rain in the winter as I have the past week.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 02:50 AM

Good movin nights.
Posted By: Steel Jaw

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 03:01 AM

I am new to trapping in Wi. We have a lot of bobcats in my area, in Southern Wi. Is it pretty difficult to get a tag? And which is the preferred season?
Posted By: Bob

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 03:06 AM

How hard is it to get a bobcat tag there? Do you sell your cats or keep for trophies?

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 03:09 AM

Keep them.

It's harder to draw a late season tag than it is an early season. And it's harder yet in the northern zone vs the southern zone.

It took me 3 years to get my tag. Bobcat trapping here is tough, even though season is over a month long.

I like the late season partly because of the weather but I'm having second thoughts about that based on the weather we've had the past week.

Population seems to be on the rise in the southern zone, despite increased harvest quotas.

Posted By: tlguy

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 03:09 AM

In the southern zone (south of Hwy 64) you cam get a tag every 2-3 years. In the northern part of the state the earlier season is usually preferred for trapping because there should be more snow on the ground in the later season. Not sure about how the snow factors into the southern zone.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 03:14 AM

Snow can help for seeing tracks, although the snow/weather this season has been bad for identifying tracks.

Also, hounders like snow. Predator hunters also seem to prefer snow.

I've gotten them on trail cams on rare ocassions, but they don't seem to follow the same paths much, at least on my properties.

It's easier to use cable restraints in snow too.

And the late season doesn't conflict w/ my deer hunting as much.

Sometimes though I wonder if a person targets a cat only for a person in the early season to get it before the late season tag holder has a chance.

Colder weather makes it easier to keep some non target furbearers out of bobcat traps.

I'm not sure if they move more in the winter

The southern Zone has only had a season for about 10 years so a lot of people don't have much experience Bobcat trapping in Wisconsin.

There's pros & cons to each.

The population is healthy.

It's not overly uncommon for a yote trapper here to have to release a cat.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 04:44 AM

Seems like cat trapping there is a whole different ball game. Im not a great cat trapper yet, but talking to the guys who are, around here if you find a cat track, you make an exposed set with lots of blocking in the nearest pinch point and in 2-4 weeks that cat will be back, and if you made your set well you will catch him. No tags, just a trapping license, no limit. Season runs November 12th through February 19th this year.

I’ve made it my mission to catch a big pile of bobcats and fox next season. I will have enough PTO at work saved to run 75-100 bobcat sets for the entire 3 month season, and a similar coyote line for the month before bobcat opens.
Posted By: Wiplumber

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 08:31 AM

I agree AJE, this weather is really being a hinderance to the cat trapping.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 06:55 PM

We got a couple inches of snow last night and it's going to turn a tad below freezing, so maybe the next week's weather will be desirable
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 07:05 PM

The only thing on my cameras during the nastiest weather we could possibly have here have been cats. No deer, K9’s, coons, or possums. Cats just don’t seem to care.
Posted By: uplandpointer

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/05/23 11:05 PM

Since I'm not from Wi. and it would take years to draw a tag. If any of you are trapping in the area of 35 and cty m, I have been seeing a few sets of tracks on a regular basis. Message me for a better location.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/07/23 02:47 AM

Cat's haven't found any of my beaver meat yet. Maybe they're to froze to pique their interest

With all this crappy weather maybe I'm not re-luring enough

Cat trapping in Wi is so challenging.

Curious, do bobcats spend much time in trees & what kind of spot do they sleep in? I suppose they spend their nights in different locations depending on the day ( and maybe the time of year). Maybe they don't sleep much, I don't know

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/07/23 03:46 AM

Around here they don’t go up trees unless trying to escape something. They like to nap in shallow caves and overhangs in the cliff faces where their backside is protected and they can see a long ways out in front. But they probably act different here because we have a lot of lions around that’d love to kill bobcats.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/07/23 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
Around here they don’t go up trees unless trying to escape something. They like to nap in shallow caves and overhangs in the cliff faces where their backside is protected and they can see a long ways out in front. But they probably act different here because we have a lot of lions around that’d love to kill bobcats.

We have very very few lions
Posted By: Savell

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/07/23 05:03 AM

... good luck to guuuuys lol... put a picture or two in here when y’all get em

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/07/23 11:09 AM

Maybe the early season is better, I'm not sure
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/07/23 01:39 PM

Aje you probably need to do a little more walking after a fresh snow. Instead of tying to get the bobcat
To find you. Try and find the bobcat, might have to check out more public land or ask
Around for permission. I don’t know what area your in but up here there are alot of cats.
And most people don’t want them around. Maybe check your local Facebook talk page, lots of
People post about bobcats in there.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/07/23 06:53 PM

I was talking to a local guy here who’s been trapping cats in this country since before I was born, used to run 200+ traps before his back and knees gave out. He told me he used to go out starting in September with a chainsaw and start cutting brush and blocking off every trail in the canyon except the ones he was gonna put traps in. He’d force every bobcat, coyote and fox in the area to use the trails he wanted them to use. If you find a set of tracks, you might want to try that.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/07/23 07:26 PM

Around here any trail I make gets used by deer. Maybe he creates some sticks across the trail in strategic spots to cause deer to jump over the traps.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/07/23 07:56 PM

When using exposed sets like we do our mule deer will usually step over them. Sometimes you get one that steps in but they mostly just step over. Not sure if your whitetails would do the same

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/07/23 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
Not sure if your whitetails would do the same

That's a good question
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/08/23 03:40 AM

Yes, deer will jump over or go around, while cats will slink on under.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/08/23 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Yes, deer will jump over or go around, while cats will slink on under.

I was talking about whether deer step in an exposed trap set. I think you're talking about a cat going under some sort of stick.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/09/23 05:02 PM

Do bobcats change patterns in winter? It's amazing how many properties I've scouted since 12/24 & only 1 time did I see cat tracks.

Also, is anyone else other than Wiplumber trapping bobcat in Wi this winter?
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/09/23 05:31 PM

I’m not trapping Cats but talked to a very solid trapper in the Ladysmith area and he said he hasn’t seen a set of Cat tracks in a week and he told me he’ll probably eat his Fisher tag. He’s also a logger and said it’s the worst start to a winter that he’s ever seen. Logging roads are snapped over and grounds not froze, he sent me this pic of this logging road from the job he’s on now. He’s not sure about the Cat movement but he said it’s eerie, they will move at some point.
[Linked Image]

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/09/23 05:33 PM

Thanks. Sounds like my experience Eagleye. Yes, you'd think they are around & would move at some point. This is crazy.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 02:27 AM

I made three pass-through sets tonight

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Consensus on here seems to be pass thru's are the way to go.

Even though I didn't see tracks on this 103 acre parcel, my friend that owns it told me where the three prime spots are based on trail cam footage

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 03:59 AM

If those were my sets I’d have way more blocking, IMO there are too many options for a cat to step that are not on the pan. The way I was taught to build a walk through for cats, you pretty much build a log cabin with sticks around your trap tall enough that it has to step over the first set of sticks but it’s too far and too tall to step all the way over both sets of sticks with one step, and the ONLY clear spot in between is the trap pan. It does not bother a bobcat one bit to be forced into stepping on the pan like that.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 04:33 AM

I always hear about exposed pans but I thought that was for rocky areas you couldn’t bed a trap. What’s the reasoning behind that if a trap can be buried or covered?

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
If those were my sets I’d have way more blocking, IMO there are too many options for a cat to step that are not on the pan. The way I was taught to build a walk through for cats, you pretty much build a log cabin with sticks around your trap tall enough that it has to step over the first set of sticks but it’s too far and too tall to step all the way over both sets of sticks with one step, and the ONLY clear spot in between is the trap pan. It does not bother a bobcat one bit to be forced into stepping on the pan like that.

More blocking..wow, that shocks me. But then I'm not a bobcat expert by any stretch. A lot of the people I talk to that catch them in Wi seem to get them in coyote sets so I'm thinking less blocking might be the answer. But I'm open to suggestions. smile Thanks

Those pictures of mine aren't zoomed in enough to show that I actually do have a fair amount of little sticks to guide their feet

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I always hear about exposed pans but I thought that was for rocky areas you couldn’t bed a trap. What’s the reasoning behind that if a trap can be buried or covered?

I don't know, I've been hearing a lot of people say that exposed pans/traps work good for bobcats in any condition. The reasoning is that Bobcats don't stomp around like coyotes do when they work a set, so I'm trying to encourage them to step on the pan. This method saves on wax dirt I think too, and might be quicker to set for most people.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 04:55 AM

What bob said, heck you can pile brush for 10 feet on each sidecto get them to the trap and just make the pan the only clear spot to step. .I've even seen twigs used as punji sticks to keep them from step where you don't want them to step. Wild rose branches would be good to since who don't have cactus

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 03:28 PM

The way I was taught to make exposed cat sets, no part of the trap is buried. It’s literally just plopped down on the ground, no bed is dug or anything, if the trap needs stabilized you just put stones or sticks under it to prop it up., or gather some duff to bake a pad fit it to sit on, then add blocking around the trap and sift a little duff on the pan so it looks like a nice soft place to step. I use a fiberglass pan cover to catch the fines in a little bigger area but lots of guys don’t do that. Then I use little stick like Nv wrangler said as pungee sticks all around and even inside the jaws between the pan and jaws, and pile brush in every single spot big enough for a bobcat to get its head through, blocking every other trail for as far back as reasonably possible.

Every bobcat I’ve ever caught came from a set like that, and probably 80% of the foxes I catch are in that set. I’ve never caught a single bobcat in a coyote set.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 03:37 PM

The reason for not burying the trap at all, is
1. It’s not necessary. Bobcats don’t care. And truthfully, neither do foxes. I’ve caught many many foxes in exposed bobcat sets. Coyotes will even be caught in them sometimes.
2. Saves time and effort.
3. A trap set like that will continue to work through rain, snow, freeze/thaw, almost all weather, eliminating the need for dry/waxed dirt or antifreeze and no need to rebuild sets after weather events, except if the snow gets a hard crust on it then you have to scoop the crust off the top of the set.
4. You have less gear to carry to make that type of set, which is important when building a set in nasty steep country. You pretty much just need a trap and a drag or stake, everything else nature provides.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 04:12 PM

I put a lot of little sticks around my footholds the other day, including some lateral & some short vertical sticks poked in the ground, to try to dictate their step.
I never imagined spiking some sticks in between the jaws, but was wondering about that gap.
I hope my exposed bare metal pan is not a problem.? This is a lot of work. The last thing I want to do is deter a cat if I finally get 1 in the area & showing interest.
I'm curious what others think about this. There's not many cat trappers around here, so not many folks I can seek out & discuss this with, other than at the trappers convention.
I have to be careful not to put so many sticks at the trap that it gets in the way of the trap firing.
I put crumpled up wax paper under the trap to help avoid freezing.
Sometimes I cover the jaws w/ waxed dirt.
As for fencing around the set, I'm not sure on that. I don't go hog wild, but maybe I could more.

Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 04:23 PM

If you dont block those some more, good chance you will catch rabbits traveling down those trails.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 04:40 PM

I’ve caught cats before with just a bare metal pan, hundreds are caught every year that way. My blocking is always big and bold, the little twigs are the “fillers” for the areas in between the big sticks and between the jaws and pan.

When guiding a cat, you’re not suggesting where it steps, you’re FORCING it to step exactly where you want. Don’t be afraid to be super aggressive with the blocking. You’re literally making it so the HAVE to step directly on your pan if they want to continue on that particular trail. They’re not like coyotes, extreme guiding does not bother them a bit. A cat isn’t going to come to your set in the trail and back out cause there’s too much blocking. Bout the only way you can block too much is by not giving a clean spot to step in the middle, they’ll just jump over if you do that. But the clear spot only has to be big enough for just one paw to fit. That’s why tons of blocking is key, if there’s a space around the trap big enough for a paw to fit that isn’t your pan, chances are good the cat will step on that spot instead. It’s not like a baited set where they put their foot down in multiple spots at the set, when that cat comes through you’re going to get exactly two shots, one front foot and one back foot, so you don’t want to leave any room for it to step around the trap.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 04:43 PM

As for the fencing, yes, absolutely go hog wild. Literally plug any hold you thing a cat would go that doesn’t lead to your trap. We call it “brushing in” the set. Sometimes we will brush in gaps wider than your pickup is long to keep a bobcat from using other trails

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
I’ve caught cats before with just a bare metal pan, hundreds are caught every year that way. My blocking is always big and bold, the little twigs are the “fillers” for the areas in between the big sticks and between the jaws and pan.

When guiding a cat, you’re not suggesting where it steps, you’re FORCING it to step exactly where you want. Don’t be afraid to be super aggressive with the blocking. You’re literally making it so the HAVE to step directly on your pan if they want to continue on that particular trail. They’re not like coyotes, extreme guiding does not bother them a bit. A cat isn’t going to come to your set in the trail and back out cause there’s too much blocking. Bout the only way you can block too much is by not giving a clean spot to step in the middle, they’ll just jump over if you do that. But the clear spot only has to be big enough for just one paw to fit. That’s why tons of blocking is key, if there’s a space around the trap big enough for a paw to fit that isn’t your pan, chances are good the cat will step on that spot instead. It’s not like a baited set where they put their foot down in multiple spots at the set, when that cat comes through you’re going to get exactly two shots, one front foot and one back foot, so you don’t want to leave any room for it to step around the trap.

Interesting point about the cat stepping over (past) the entire trap. That is a concern of mine so I want to ensure I understand how to avoid that

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 05:38 PM

They’ll only jump over if it looks like there’s no good place to step in between, or if the blocking is too tall AND too narrow. But to get the blocking around the trap too tall and cause them to jump over you pretty much have to build your blocking ridiculously tall. Seasoned cat trappers ive talked to here don’t hesitate to build the blocking around the trap 6” tall, like a log cabin all the way around the trap. You want your blocking tall enough that the cat has to deliberately step over the first set of sticks and wide enough that it can’t step all the way over the second set with a single step, and in between make everything but the pan look like a bad spot to step.
Posted By: wiplattetrapper

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 06:34 PM

I agree this late season has seemed more challenging than I expected. Caught a big tom last year that had to be released and never was able to connect with my target of a coyote. So this year I have a tag and got the coyote checked off before Christmas so I was thinking it would be no problem to track down a cat. Then came wind and snow and a week later rain and ice and no snow since.

All the sign found has been up high in the woods, I'm in very far SW WI so small river valleys and steep hills.

Attached picture PXL_20230110_134523184.jpg

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 06:39 PM

And of course I check my cameras this weekend and on the backside of the property where I have caught nothing but possums so I pulled my two traps...

Attached picture MUD_0064.JPG
Attached picture MUD_0012.JPG

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 06:51 PM

Good posts wiplattetrapper. Funny you mention hills because I've been thinking maybe I should be looking for sign on ridge tops

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
They’ll only jump over if it looks like there’s no good place to step in between, or if the blocking is too tall AND too narrow. But to get the blocking around the trap too tall and cause them to jump over you pretty much have to build your blocking ridiculously tall. Seasoned cat trappers ive talked to here don’t hesitate to build the blocking around the trap 6” tall, like a log cabin all the way around the trap. You want your blocking tall enough that the cat has to deliberately step over the first set of sticks and wide enough that it can’t step all the way over the second set with a single step, and in between make everything but the pan look like a bad spot to step.

I'll consider this.

I don't think my blocking is too narrow

It seems like my trap usually ends up near the center of the trail, hopefully not too centered

If I put sticks between the jaws, I have to ensure a stick doesn't clog the trap. Plus I'd prefer not to snap my fingers in the trap.
Spiking sticks in frozen ground isn't always easy.

I figure cats are acrobats & don't mind jumping smile

I'm hoping they see the trap pan & decide it looks like a good place to step

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
1. It’s not necessary. Bobcats don’t care. And truthfully, neither do foxes. I’ve caught many many foxes in exposed bobcat sets. Coyotes will even be caught in them sometimes.
3. A trap set like that will continue to work through rain, snow, freeze/thaw, almost all weather, eliminating the need for dry/waxed dirt or antifreeze and no need to rebuild sets after weather events, except if the snow gets a hard crust on it then you have to scoop the crust off the top of the set.
4. You have less gear to carry to make that type of set, which is important when building a set in nasty steep country. You pretty much just need a trap and a drag or stake, everything else nature provides.

So how do you get it to set flat with the center swivel and chain underneath a trap?

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/10/23 08:33 PM

This was the set I have under that big rock. There is actually a cat toilet under it too. First one I ever found...also the first time I went looking for one... Second night it was set I had a snapped trap on a tight chain, a cat turd and a couple long white hairs. So close! Just one big raccoon since then.

This warm weather plugged my sets with raccoons and possums, down to two operational ones by last weekend when I finally had time to remake.

Attached picture PXL_20221225_214816747.jpg

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 12:21 AM

I like that set, platte.
I wonder if the cat you missed will be trap shy

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bob

So how do you get it to set flat with the center swivel and chain underneath a trap?

Usually just find a couple small rocks or sticks to put under the frame and jaws to keep it from rocking. All of my cat sets are on drags or clogs, so the chain gets stretched out away from the set, preferably pre-hooked in the farthest away brush it can reach.

Lure can be a help or a hindrance on bobcats, placed 18” above the set on a rock or stick, if they like it they’ll rub their face on it like a house at rubbing on peoples legs. Sometimes though they will avoid a set because the lure is too strong, especially with skunky stuff, the intensity can be unpleasant to them.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 12:37 AM

Hopefully my skunky lure isn't scaring them off
Posted By: 160user

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 12:49 AM

For what it is worth, I have been seeing cat tracks in the usual places. Up and down small creeks and in the thickest, nastiest conifer or cedar cover you can find where there is less snow. Don't discount the small creeks! Cats love walking up and down them and I used to catch a couple a year in a snare with no sign on the creek. Be patient and they WILL come through.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 01:44 AM

I have a small creek in mind that I'll check out, but I think it might have melted this week

I hadn't considered setting in the dry area under pines

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 02:06 AM

Do you have any rock outcropping in your area? Bobcats love an overhang under a big Boulder.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

Cats are deathly afraid of skunks this time of year.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
Do you have any rock outcropping in your area? Bobcats love an overhang under a big Boulder.

Not that I've seen, but I'll keep my eyes open smile

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
Originally Posted by AJE

Cats are deathly afraid of skunks this time of year.

Perhaps the school of thought is that skunks aren't normally active in the winter

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
You want your blocking tall enough that the cat has to deliberately step over the first set of sticks and wide enough that it can’t step all the way over the second set with a single step, and in between make everything but the pan look like a bad spot to step.

Anyone have some pictures of this?

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:38 AM

I haven’t experienced a cat refusing due to skunky lure because I don’t use skunky lure. The reason I don’t use it is because a guy I know very well who’s been trapping cats since before I was born, and has caught well in excess of 1,000 bobcats all over the state of Nevada, told me that he has on many occasions had a cat avoid a set that was lured with a skunky lure. When he stopped using the skunky lure, he stopped having cats avoid sets. So do with that information what you will.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:39 AM

Your trying to guide cats when u should be blocking them. I struggle to change gears between cats and coyotes too but a few misses in snow will learn ya fast. Lol
Posted By: Wiplumber

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:41 AM

This is what I was making my sets like. I can’t say they were successful for me yet unfortunately, but maybe it will give you some other ideas.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:45 AM

Bob do use any lure or scent at your sets?

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
I haven’t experienced a cat refusing due to skunky lure because I don’t use skunky lure. The reason I don’t use it is because a guy I know very well who’s been trapping cats since before I was born, and has caught well in excess of 1,000 bobcats all over the state of Nevada, told me that he has on many occasions had a cat avoid a set that was lured with a skunky lure. When he stopped using the skunky lure, he stopped having cats avoid sets. So do with that information what you will.

What long distance call lure is recommended? Windwalker is mostly what I am using now.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:47 AM

AJE the next time I check I’ll take some real good pics and post them. Here’s a couple so-so pics

It’s hard to tell but that big rock on the right serves as the blocking on that side, it’s pretty much a vertical rock
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one looks like there’s a bare spot on the right, but there isn’t, the sticks are just stained the same color as the dirt.
[Linked Image]

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Your trying to guide cats when u should be blocking them. I struggle to change gears between cats and coyotes too but a few misses in snow will learn ya fast. Lol

So are you suggesting we use less fencing?

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:54 AM

In that last pic, before I made the set, there was no brush there. I moved all of that there to create a pinch point between a drop off and a cliff face. That’s what I mean by brushing in sets, I make the cat use the trail I want it to. It’s only other option is to cross the wash and use the trail on the other side, or go up the hill and around the top of the cliff, but guess what? Either way it decides to go, I’ve put a trap there. I have 4 sets there, every trail in that wash, bout 150’ wide, either has a trap in it or is blocked off with thick brush.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:01 AM

I use some bobcat gland, sometimes, but not a whole lot. The guy I learned from taught me that you really don’t need to, all you have to do is put a properly blocked trap in a cats way and you’ll catch it the vast majority of the time. How do you get in a cats way? You take away every option that doesn’t lead to a trap. A lot of the time we will go out starting in September brushing off trails and moving rocks, creating pinch points to funnel cats into sets

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by Yes sir

So are you suggesting we use less fencing?

I thinks he’s suggesting MORE blocking. Like he said, it’s blocking, not guiding. You’re forcing the cat to step in a certain spot, by blocking off all other options.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bob

Lure can be a help or a hindrance on bobcats, placed 18” above the set on a rock or stick, if they like it they’ll rub their face on it like a house at rubbing on peoples legs. Sometimes though they will avoid a set because the lure is too strong, especially with skunky stuff, the intensity can be unpleasant to them.

Interesting. What about bait?

Thanks for all the info so far guys.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:14 AM

Lure, bait, they probably catch their fair share of cats. But all of the guys I know that catch 50-100 bobcats a year exclusively use exposed walkthrough sets, no bait and very little if any lure. I’ve never caught a cat in a baited set.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
Lure, bait, they probably catch their fair share of cats. But all of the guys I know that catch 50-100 bobcats a year exclusively use exposed walkthrough sets, no bait and very little if any lure. I’ve never caught a cat in a baited set.

I have bait & bobcat urine at my sets too, along with fish oil. Our terrain & conditions seem harder to funnel them naturally than what some of you are describing, but I could be wrong

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by wiplattetrapper
And of course I check my cameras this weekend and on the backside of the property where I have caught nothing but possums so I pulled my two traps...

Do you use cable restraints & 160 conibears too? Maybe try calling that cat (predator hunting). Good luck.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:45 AM

Aje didn't you say a friend had game camera pics of cats ? Go set those spots and block them to go exactly where you want them, it doesn't have to be natural blocking as in already there . You can block using natural materials found there even 10 to 15 feet on each side or more just make sure they can't get through it . You can even leave sets n multiple spots in the blocking. If its in open or next to open areas use some type of flagging to get them to the area you want them to walk.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Aje didn't you say a friend had game camera pics of cats ? Go set those spots and block them to go exactly where you want them, it doesn't have to be natural blocking as in already there . You can block using natural materials found there even 10 to 15 feet on each side or more just make sure they can't get through it . You can even leave sets n multiple spots in the blocking. If its in open or next to open areas use some type of flagging to get them to the area you want them to walk.

Yes, and I made a set at each of those 3 locations last night. smile

They were open enough areas to where I hung a CD at each set.

I've considered putting a second trap at some sets

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:56 AM

Second trap can’t hurt anything. In your situation, only getting a tag every once in a while, if I was you I’d have every trap I owned set in catty places, sign, no sign, don’t matter. If it looks like a cat might go there, set it, till you run out of traps

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:59 AM

I should Bob. I will keep adding some. Right now I only have 10 traps out. I work too much. I did more scouting tonight & worked on more connections for possible new hot locations.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:43 PM

AJE I feel your pain, time is certainly the limiting factor. I'd love to spread out more but it's just feasible. Another typical check for me this morning, two more sets out of commission...and the weather showing nothing but unseasonably warm nights ahead! At least the coon looks better, not big but real clean and nice fur colors so I'll probably get it tanned for the kids.

Attached picture PXL_20230111_130708229.jpg
Attached picture PXL_20230111_131826431.MP.jpg

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 03:57 PM

You & I can relate indeed, platte.
Except I have too much snow.
Nasty ice storm came thru last night so I went out & got half my traps re-functioning this AM. Warm temps now all week. I will deal w/ the other half after work. The weather has been strange. Normally I should have more sets out than I do now. Time like you say is such a limiting factor.
Good luck to you.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:06 PM

Sometimes it's hard to trap what's not there- I have friends with land NW of Cty Hwy P and every time they have a trail cam pic of a bobcat- I get copied, It happens but not that often- my guess is your chances and cat population numbers are increasing every year- stay with it and you'll connect.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 04:55 PM

For what it is worth, I get lots of gamer camera pictures in the fall of cats. By the time our cat season opens in late December, the cats have moved and aren't there anymore. They didn't move 20 miles away but they moved into heavy cover with less snow and where there is food. Think bunnies would be my advice in the Lake States right now. Set on or near rabbit trails. That is where the cats are going to be and following deer trails. IMO cats are lazy and will walk the path of least resistance like frozen creeks, deer trails and snowmobile trails.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
Sometimes it's hard to trap what's not there- I have friends with land NW of Cty Hwy P and every time they have a trail cam pic of a bobcat- I get copied, It happens but not that often- my guess is your chances and cat population numbers are increasing every year- stay with it and you'll connect.

Wouldn't you know Hwy P is where I am doing much of my trapping.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/11/23 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 160user

For what it is worth, I get lots of gamer camera pictures in the fall of cats. By the time our cat season opens in late December, the cats have moved and aren't there anymore. They didn't move 20 miles away but they moved into heavy cover with less snow and where there is food. Think bunnies would be my advice in the Lake States right now. Set on or near rabbit trails. That is where the cats are going to be and following deer trails. IMO cats are lazy and will walk the path of least resistance like frozen creeks, deer trails and snowmobile trails.

Good to know, I guess (as long as they didn't move out of the area). Thanks

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 02:00 AM

Yes I did say that nvwrangler. On Sunday I set the 3 spots he told me to. At 1 of the 3 spots my friend recommended on this 103 acres, I found this scat tonight 10 yards from my trap. I'm not sure how fresh it is. Do you guys think it is bobcat?

[Linked Image]

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 02:08 AM

I've put several miles on my boots the past 2 days scouting. If anything, I'm getting my excercise. I haven't found any tracks (other than this track, which I am not sure if it is a bobcat.?). I'm really starting to wonder if the snow conditions just aren't right for diagnosing tracks. [Linked Image]
1) they could be moving on top, 2) I've found a lot of non deer tracks that are too vague to make any sense of (an indentation is noticeable but there is no print, due largely to the snow conditions).

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

Yes I did say that nvwrangler. On Sunday I set the 3 spots he told me to. At 1 of the 3 spots my friend recommended on this 103 acres, I found this scat tonight 10 yards from my trap. I'm not sure how fresh it is. Do you guys think it is bobcat?

[Linked Image]

I don't believe that looks like cat scat. I go for my "morning patrol" around the property here and the cats are walking the deer trails and bunny trails. They are being lazy and going where the walking is the easiest.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 02:47 AM

Around here bobcat scat is hard to find even in an area that has a bunch of cats. The reason is that packrats take them to their nests as soon as they find them. I know you probably don’t have packrats but could be a similar thing going on with a different rodent.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 02:50 AM

This scat was right along the farmers field road, near the property line. I'm not very knowledgeable on scat or tracks. The scat was in an indentation..I'm not sure if that neans anything (almost like in a boot print, but I don't think it was really a human boot print). The field road goes through a semi wooded, largely frozen, marsh.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 02:51 AM

I don't know what you mean by packrat. We might have rodents that do that though, I'm not sure

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
I don't know what you mean by packrat. We might have rodents that do that though, I'm not sure

Yes, we don't have packrats here like they do out West.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 03:06 AM

I should clarify: the mystery track was on a different property than this mystery scat.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 04:05 AM

The actual name for them is bushy-tailed wood rat, but we call them packrats because they build nests in the rocky outcrops and they pack anything they can carry back to the nest. Bones, sticks, plastic, glass, everything lol. They look a bit like a chinchilla with a rats face and are about the size of a softball. And bobcats LOVE to hunt them.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
The actual name for them is bushy-tailed wood rat, but we call them packrats because they build nests in the rocky outcrops and they pack anything they can carry back to the nest. Bones, sticks, plastic, glass, everything lol. They look a bit like a chinchilla with a rats face and are about the size of a softball. And bobcats LOVE to hunt them.

Yeah I Googled them a little bit ago. We don't have them here. It'll be interesting to see if this scat pile disappears. I suppose it could be from a raccoon I don't know

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 08:05 PM

Is anybody using cable restraints? I haven't heard much talk about that this winter.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/14/23 11:50 PM

I have seen cat tracks step for step inside of deer tracks more than once, so pay attention to details. just a little extra advise.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/15/23 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by coyote addict
I have seen cat tracks step for step inside of deer tracks more than once, so pay attention to details. just a little extra advise.

Funny you mention, b/c a friend told me that this week.

I thought it would be not all that hard to find tracks, but I still haven't seen a cat track all season & I've traversed enough ground to probably cause me to shrink a pants size.

People told me to try where the rabbits are. I had a rabbit in my trap tonight, so I guess it's an active rabbit area. I shoved it under a big clump of grass in the swamp next to my remake.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/15/23 01:32 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
pic of cat poop in toilet, yep, I'm weird! And if you look closely, you can see cat tracks in the deer tracks sorry not the best picture.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/15/23 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by 160user

There sure might be something to this 160. A coworker of mine lives a half hour away from where I'm trapping & in early December he was telling me he had the spot picked out & he was going to have me try to get 1 of several Bobcats that he was seeing during deer hunting. Then it suddenly went cold like right after deer hunting & he hasn't gotten 1 on his cams since! And the same story occurred on a property of mine I was planning on trapping: the neighbor was seeing multiple Bobcats & told me he was going to let me know more about them. In talking with him he hasn't seen 1 since deer hunting though! Darn cats. I had much more k9 action when I wolf trapped about ~8 years ago around here. I thought action on the cat trapping line would be relatively easy compared to wolf.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/26/23 01:26 AM

It's cooled off and I'm still getting plugged up with coons. Annoying.

On the one property I set where I saw cat tracks last on 12/24, it came back through last night finally-- but I had a coon in the trap.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/26/23 02:20 AM

I would’ve had every camera I own on likely spots trying to get a pic of what’s there. Not all my cameras are on my sets. Some are scouting for me.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/27/23 05:43 AM

I would’ve had every camera I own on likely spots trying to get a pic of what’s there. Not all my cameras are on my sets. Some are scouting for me.

I wish I would have done that. At the same time though I'm hearing of quite a number of people that saw cat during deer season but then it's like they vanished.

Re: Wisconsin late bobcat season opens tomorrow - 01/28/23 02:59 AM

Maybe they changed patterns because of the deep snow we've had this season
© 2024 Trapperman Forums