Home

How do you waste money?

Posted By: Donnersurvivor

How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 04:54 PM

The saving thread got me thinking. I'm typically pretty thrifty but over the last couple years my income has increased and I've become less careful with some spending. How I waste money.

1- Cell phone bills, I have a cell phone plan that is completely unnecessarily expensive. Extra phones that were for employees whom I no longer have etc.
2- I have not shopped my house and farm insurance, I feel I'm overpaying.
3- When we got married my wife had a whole life insurance policy from her parents, they surprised us with the bill from it this year, we need to assess how to handle it going forward.
4- I've been driving my superduty work truck instead of my small car, simply because I've been to lazy to put a new battery in the car
5- The new family vehicle has not been undercoated to protect from rust, that's an investment that I need to make.
6- Subscription services I have forgotten to cancel, apps, etc.

These simple things add up to thousands a year, I can correct these things, save the money and have no change in my quality of life.

It's worth taking a day or two to think over what you're paying for that you don't even need or use.

Posted By: 080808

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 04:56 PM

Life insurance. Be careful as wife will not get younger. lol maybe term policy.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 05:04 PM

I eat out sometimes. Biggest waste of money for me. I sometimes drink at a bar. Second biggest waste of money.
Posted By: 160user

I have been drinking at the bars and chasing women rather than drinking at home alone in the dark like a normal person.
Posted By: T-Rex

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

5- The new family vehicle has not been undercoated to protect from rust, that's an investment that I need to make.
in the long run, car washes protect more than just the undercarriage, and might even be cheaper.
Posted By: Marty

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 05:05 PM

I cannot afford to waste $.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
I have been drinking at the bars and chasing women rather than drinking at home alone in the dark like a normal person.

I spend most of my money on wine and women and just waste the rest!
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 05:09 PM

3- When we got married my wife had a whole life insurance policy from her parents, they surprised us with the bill from it this year, we need to assess how to handle it going forward.
Whole life insurance means you pay your whole life. Essentially, you are betting that she will die young. Usually as we age we gain assets and wealth, meaning less need for insurance. Couple that fact with inflation, and wonder how much that policy will really be worth a few decades down the line.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 05:10 PM

I've decided taxidermy, especially shoulder deer mounts, are a big waste of money. I have about a dozen and all of em will end up in a BassPro, a Cracker Barrell, or a landfill when I die.
Posted By: k snow

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 05:15 PM

Do federal taxes count as wasting money?

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
I've decided taxidermy, especially shoulder deer mounts, are a big waste of money. I have about a dozen and all of em will end up in a BassPro, a Cracker Barrell, or a landfill when I die.

I nail all my antlers to my fence or shed, I actually bought a nice mule deer shoulder mount for the house, cost me $70 instead of $800 to have one of my own mounted and I just don't care that much.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Do federal taxes count as wasting money?

involuntary wasting , if you don't pay they want more and if you refuse that they threaten you with violence.

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 05:43 PM

at 50 dollars a bag I sure turn a lot of Kibble into poop
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 05:53 PM

Whew! That makes me feel better. I sit at home with the lady having cocktails. We don't frequent the bars. I'm glad you brought this up, I was worried beer might be a frivolous expense! I am now at ease thank you, 160!!!
Posted By: Osky

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:04 PM

[quote=160user]I have been drinking at the bars and chasing women rather than drinking at home alone in the dark like a normal person.[/quote

Easy now. We’re here for ya.
We’re all in this together.

Osky

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck

Whew! That makes me feel better. I sit at home with the lady having cocktails. We don't frequent the bars. I'm glad you brought this up, I was worried beer might be a frivolous expense! I am now at ease thank you, 160!!!

I am happy to help. Beer (whiskey) and tobacco (Copenhagen and Camels) are necessities that rank higher than electricity and toilet paper.
Posted By: Guss

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:16 PM

House insurance 635 a year and they wont cover the roof.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:23 PM

buying shell corn to get pics of birds and squirrels
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Guss

You talk about a rip off wait until someone steals your tv, guns ,or jewelry ! You have minimum coverage on those unless you get a rider !!
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:29 PM

I buy large silage bales to feed the deer.
Saves me money on dog chews as I pick up the sheds for the dog to use up.
I hang them on the light fixture in the kitchen just to make my wife happy. smirk
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:32 PM

I have too many hobbies. I'm bad about wanting to do it all. I can't just have a hobby of duck hunting. I have to also pick up the hobby of shotshell reloading, decoy making, etc etc

One day my grandkids will have a lot of cool stuff to sell

As long as I have enough money to cover all of our bills and have an egg for emergencies I see no harm in spending money. I don't plan on dying with millions of dollars to give to my kids. They can work hard and earn theirs the same way I will have earned mine
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
I cannot afford to waste $.

×2,

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
I have too many hobbies. I'm bad about wanting to do it all. I can't just have a hobby of duck hunting. I have to also pick up the hobby of shotshell reloading, decoy making, etc etc

One day my grandkids will have a lot of cool stuff to sell

As long as I have enough money to cover all of our bills and have an egg for emergencies I see no harm in spending money. I don't plan on dying with millions of dollars to give to my kids. They can work hard and earn theirs the same way I will have earned mine

I'm the exact same way. Like I stated though I can cut thousands of dollars out of my yearly expenditures without any negative life impacts. More money for hobbies.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:53 PM

i smoke a good cigar once in a while. buy a powerball ticket about 20 times a year.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by Guss

You talk about a rip off wait until someone steals your tv, guns ,or jewelry ! You have minimum coverage on those unless you get a rider !!

I am insurance ignorant. Please elaborate.
Posted By: Steel Jaw

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 07:25 PM

I chew. I have zero desire to quit. In fairness, I chew the cheap stuff at $2.19 a can, but its $ that doesn't have to be spent. But, it also keeps me sane.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 07:26 PM

Beer, gin & tonics and wine.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 07:45 PM

For all those saving money, what are you saving it for?
If I really “want” something that’s on the expensive side that I’d rather the wife not know about I just use my trapping/plantation money. If I don’t have all the money at the time, I just wait until I do.
I haven’t spent 24 years at one job and advance upwards to freeze during the Winter or Sweat during the Summer. My thermostat is set on 69-71. Below 69 and the heat comes on, above 71 and the AC comes on, lol. I guess you could say I save a little money by refusing to eat out for lunches when I’m heading near the house and I know there’s food there. Other than that, living comfortably is the entire reason I work.
Posted By: k snow

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
If I really “want” something that’s on the expensive side that I’d rather the wife not know about I just use my trapping/plantation money. If I don’t have all the money at the time, I just wait until I do.
I haven’t spent 24 years at one job and advance upwards to freeze during the Winter or Sweat during the Summer. My thermostat is set on 69-71. Below 69 and the heat comes on, above 71 and the AC comes on, lol. I guess you could say I save a little money by refusing to eat out for lunches when I’m heading near the house and I know there’s food there. Other than that, living comfortably is the entire reason I work.

There's a big difference to me between wasting money and spending money. I don't waste money so I can spend more on things I want.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

There's a big difference to me between wasting money and spending money. I don't waste money so I can spend more on things I want.

Gotcha…that’s my way of thinking as well. Don’t think I “waste” too much anyways. Everything I buy is something I want, therefore it’s not a waste to me.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 08:26 PM

I "wasted" quite a bit of money lately and still have a bunch more to do. Spent about 1k on a 2 week trapping vacation. Wasted a bunch on new Kuiu clothes and misc. hunting items. Still need to waste some on a new pack and spotting scope before my wasteful deer hunt on Kodiak island this fall.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 08:29 PM

Lottery tickets.

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 08:34 PM

not a waste to me and it depends on the day sometimes I spent it at 1070fps , sometimes at 2550fps and some times at 3160fps

now the last time I really wasted money it was 167.50 payable to the State patrol for 98fps on the way to church
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Whole life insurance means you pay your whole life. Essentially, you are betting that she will die young. Usually as we age we gain assets and wealth, meaning less need for insurance. Couple that fact with inflation, and wonder how much that policy will really be worth a few decades down the line.

Not. Whole life has a value and it would probly be in his best interest to keep it up depending on how many years they have paid on it.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 09:10 PM

The most money people waste is on insurance. I used to insure everything, cattle, trucks, farm machinery etc. You should only insure things that you can not do without or replace on your own. Insurance is a sucker bet. If you do insure and some things you must, Take the highest deductible possible.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 09:10 PM

If I had the money I'd spent on every essential hunting, fishing, trapping, camping item that I never used, I'd be one rich old fart.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 09:14 PM

I don't waste money. I spend it whatever I want or have to spend it on. Family, friends, cell phones, going out to eat, beer, hunting, fishing, trapping, etc... are what makes life worth living. What good is money in the bank if you can't enjoy it? No one wins if they die with the most money. Spend your money on whatever you want and keep your mouth shut about what anyone else chooses to spend their money on. $.02
Posted By: Bob

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 09:24 PM

Copenhagen. Bout a can a day. Fancy coffee pods for the kuerig instead of cheap bulk coffee. Some tv channels that we don’t really need. Hobbies like growing houseplants. There are a lot of things I waste money on, but I’m not willing to give up most of it to save said money, cause they all bring me some form of comfort or happiness. So I guess it’s not wasted.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spike369
Trapping and trapping supplies,, hunting stuff and a new boat, but I'm 68, no bills, farm paid for, house and cars paid for no one to leave my assets too so I may as well waste it.

Where's your farm? I think we might be related.
Posted By: Roofbolter

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 10:03 PM

I have been buying Corn for my mash from Hunting stores when I should be buying it from the Grain Store. I should also start buying my yeast and Sugar at Wal Mart. I could also start getting my Copper Tubing at Lowes instead of Ace Hardware but Ace Hardware is good at keeping quiet.
Posted By: run

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Roofbolter
I have been buying Corn for my mash from Hunting stores when I should be buying it from the Grain Store. I should also start buying my yeast and Sugar at Wal Mart. I could also start getting my Copper Tubing at Lowes instead of Ace Hardware but Ace Hardware is good at keeping quiet.

It's hard to beat ACE hardware for wide range of reasons. I'm still not sure about the John Deere pitchforks @ Ace hardware.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 10:32 PM

If you work hard it’s not a waste if you want it . For me probably five new trucks in my life . Insurance is all useless till you need it.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/11/23 10:43 PM

95% of what I have ever made went to fast cars, women, guns and ammo, and alcohol, the rest I wasted!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by Spike369
Trapping and trapping supplies,, hunting stuff and a new boat, but I'm 68, no bills, farm paid for, house and cars paid for no one to leave my assets too so I may as well waste it.

Where's your farm? I think we might be related.

Hahaha!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 01:07 AM

Pull tabs and lottery tickets. I know of quite a few people who lost it all because of gambling.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 02:33 AM

I miss coyotes occasionally.
A buck a shot.

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
I know of quite a few people who lost it all because of gambling.

Like trying to fart after a night of Pabst beer and Swamp Gas Chili?
Posted By: bhugo

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 02:55 AM

Lol

I waste money on good bourbon, scotch, and Irish whisky. Way too much….
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 03:08 AM

I have to reply to my own post. I bought 2 skidoos and a trailer today so I can go make some money trapping lol.
I guess maybe I do wast money occasionally
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 03:08 AM

There are a multitude of ways I spend money that really would not have to have been spent, but I have never used a really sharp shovel with a very long handle to dig myself down too deep.

Bryce
Posted By: Dirt

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 03:10 AM

After recently cleaning up two separate estates of lifetimes of accumulated spending, I feel for your children of you guys who spend all your money on stuff that they will have to dispose of when you die . Americans can sure buy a lot of stuff/junk. Please, for the love of your children sell it or throw it away before you die.

I keep up on throwing my beer cans away.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 03:12 AM

I think I have been wasting money by putting money into my retirement account at work because it`s dissapearing so fast that I may owe it money when I retire.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I don't waste money. I spend it whatever I want or have to spend it on. Family, friends, cell phones, going out to eat, beer, hunting, fishing, trapping, etc... are what makes life worth living. What good is money in the bank if you can't enjoy it? No one wins if they die with the most money. Spend your money on whatever you want and keep your mouth shut about what anyone else chooses to spend their money on. $.02

Even if it's cigarettes? LOL
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 03:16 AM

I wouldn't call it wasting but I spend a lot on trapping, hunting gear and tools for woodworking/carpentry. I also do a little concrete work, so more tools for that lol.
Posted By: coop

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 03:38 AM

I always think I need an extra, or two, of whatever... just in case 1 breaks or I lose it, or loan it out, or....
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 03:47 AM

I fill up my truck with fuel to go trap worthless coyotes...

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt
After recently cleaning up two separate estates of lifetimes of accumulated spending, I feel for your children of you guys who spend all your money on stuff that they will have to dispose of when you die . Americans can sure buy a lot of stuff/junk. Please, for the love of your children sell it or throw it away before you die.

I keep up on throwing my beer cans away.

My Niece is going to have one heck of an auction with gun parts and ammo!
Posted By: jalstat

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 05:25 AM

Yep I tell Chris if I die you will have a great auction on sporting goods LOL
Posted By: iowayote

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 07:27 AM

Wine, women, and song.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 09:11 AM

Visitors to my backwoods cabin sometimes comment about the outhouse only 30 yards from the cabin and fire pit. After a pot of chili a night of cheap beer and a hearty breakfast, that 30 yards
seems like a half mile grin
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 11:49 AM

Rasing two grandkids full time, and no extra money coming in, I have no extra money frown
Posted By: Orlando

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 12:53 PM

Paying for a land phone line...that I only get robo calls on once every three days of so.

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Orlando
Paying for a land phone line...that I only get robo calls on once every three days of so.

that is a very useful land line when I need to call my cell phone to find out where the heck I set it down

I have actually been thinking of canceling it , I have 2 I would cancel my 2nd that I use for work and just use the first that I have to have as part of the internet package I should call and do that before I pay another month.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 01:59 PM

I put tons of money into:
Hunting
Trapping
Musky fishing
General fishing
Boating (23 Grady White)
Lure making
Woodworking
Winter camping and expeditions
Trapline cabin
ATVs
Snowmobiles
Jet Ski

The rest I just wasted.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: How do you waste money? - 01/12/23 03:23 PM

If you ask me, I don't waste a dime... But my priorities might be different than someone else.

Mike
© 2024 Trapperman Forums