Home

Fox Questions

Posted By: Kevin Berry

Fox Questions - 01/12/23 01:23 AM

Last year I trapped my first red fox that had been killing some chickens in a family member's coup. This year we have gotten some fresh snow and there is fresh fox sign everywhere. From what I can tell there are at least 2, maybe more fox on the property still. I have put out several snares on well defined runs through the woods, and have a bay set with a foothold in it. They have been out for a couple weeks now. I check my traps from a distance with binoculars as to not spread any more decent near them. The bay set is has both fox lure and fox urine on it. I put some fox urine on some scent posts along the runs the snares are set on as well and I am having no luck. Any recommendations?
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 01:36 AM

Got any photos?

Did they stop using the trails?

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 01:45 AM

Sorry no photos. I should say too that the snow has since melted. Hard to say whether they are still using the trails, I don't see any fresh sign though.

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 01:52 AM

Do you know how to edit a screen shot?

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 01:55 AM

Yes I can. I could get some photos of the sets tomorrow when I go to check.

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 01:56 AM

Give us an idea of the area around the coop.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 02:04 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 02:05 AM

Are you done Wilson?

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 02:15 AM

Was that helpful Kevin?

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 02:30 AM

[Linked Image]

Here is the layout. The blue X is the hay set which is the same set and location I caught the last one. Blue lines are the trails on which the snares are set.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 02:31 AM

I drew a fox, but decided no to show off my art skills.
I think the area around the coop is all snake so the white depicts that.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 03:05 AM

Tracks can be hard to find in our current ground conditions. I would put a set or 4 at the points where the trails meet the wood line. Set depending on prevailing wind direction which is all over the place for the next week here in the thumb lol.

I have to tell you that cables are almost useless for fox with our regulations. They will not hold a neck caught fox with the 4 1/4" closed loop. You can hold them if hip caught but it's tough to make that happen and it's not ideal.

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 03:06 AM

Wanna Be your art skills are about like mine lol. Is that a Gila monster head?

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 03:17 AM

I will put some more sets where you suggest. Prevailing wind is West here, about 200 yards from Lake Mi. The whole property is downwind from where they are entering. Tracks everywhere when there's snow on the ground. Not sure why they wouldn't be curious about the hay set. It's been a week since I've freshened any scent. Should I add more or stay away from it?

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 03:31 AM

Wind is usually west or north here also but had a southeast today. Sets with eye appeal help with shifting winds.

The hay set is usually a good producer on fox and I have taken some coyotes in them also. The hay set is about the best when it comes to eye appeal. Try a mound set and double dirt hole, those do well on fox for me. Flat sets work too.

Have you got some rain in the past week? I would freshen the urine and go easy on the gland lure, it's potent stuff. Maybe try a hay set with bait.
Posted By: coop

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 03:33 AM

Wanna Be... that was a "spitting Pepsi on the keyboard" response if ever I've heard one... grin

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 01:52 PM

Yes I've gotten rain. What do you typically use for bait for fox? I've got some muskrat and beaver meat I could use. Would beaver castor be a good lure?

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 05:29 PM

I use a variety of baits and lures. Cavens coon & mink bait works good on fox. Muskrat and beaver will definitely work. In my experience almost everything is attracted to castor.

I made a bait this year with ground up deer liver and trimmings aged about 3 days. I haven't caught a fox on it but the coyotes are thicker in my area this year. 2 coyotes have been caught with it so far.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 05:36 PM

How big are your snare loops?
How high off the ground?
Are the snares blended in?
Do you walk the trails and then stop at the snares and turn around?

Does your bay/hay set still have bait? Remember mice and other rodents will eat lots of bait if on the ground.

Mike

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 06:44 PM

I baited the bay set with some beaver fat/meat today when I went to check. The snare wires have been died and the supports wire has rusted brown so they match surroundings. The loop is approx. 7" dia., bottom of loop is 4-5" off ground. I do not walk the trail to check the snares, I walk the property and look down the trail to see if I have a catch. The snare is not set on a drag, it is anchored. When I walk the property I walk a complete circle to do my checks rather than turn and go back on my tracks.

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 06:45 PM

The hay set has not had bait on it, only fox lure and urine. I just baited it today.

Re: Fox Questions - 01/12/23 06:56 PM

I would make the fox snares 8 inches high off the ground as well as 8 inches around.

The key to the hay set is to make them walk all over it trying to find the bits of bait, in the old days it was cracklings. I am guessing you could use pork rinds in the same manner.

Re: Fox Questions - 01/13/23 07:38 PM

Well thanks for the help fellas! I baited the trail with some beaver fat and had this guy by the hip today! I rebaited the set and put a foothold in the catch circle. Hopefully we will have another tomorrow.

Re: Fox Questions - 01/13/23 08:12 PM

Good Job! Now you're hooked for life!!!

Re: Fox Questions - 01/13/23 08:35 PM

Pic didn't upload on last post, hopefully it works this time

Attached picture D8660998-282A-4203-B7C1-E2327E312D90.jpeg

Re: Fox Questions - 01/13/23 08:35 PM

Beautiful fox!!!

Re: Fox Questions - 01/13/23 08:36 PM

WTG!

Re: Fox Questions - 01/13/23 08:37 PM

Yeah he's perfect! That's the second male I've taken now at this spot. As I was leaving the driveway I saw another red run right in front of my truck. Seems like there is a good amount in the area. What sets would you recommend I use? Should I keep using what has worked or do I need to change it up now?

Re: Fox Questions - 01/13/23 09:09 PM

Dirtholes are the go to for red fox trapping

Re: Fox Questions - 01/13/23 09:10 PM

I would make two sets where the x is and hang at least three snares in each trail 7 feet apart.

Re: Fox Questions - 01/14/23 12:59 AM

Nice! Glad you got one.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Fox Questions - 01/14/23 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Berry
Yeah he's perfect! That's the second male I've taken now at this spot. As I was leaving the driveway I saw another red run right in front of my truck. Seems like there is a good amount in the area. What sets would you recommend I use? Should I keep using what has worked or do I need to change it up now?

One thing to keep in mind is that this is mating season for foxes.
More males traveling looking for mates.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Fox Questions - 01/14/23 01:30 AM

I would make a set in the chicken coop that chicken looks dead........

Re: Fox Questions - 01/16/23 02:44 PM

© 2024 Trapperman Forums