Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 01:24 AM

Southern Exposure
Baker Creek
Posted By: corky

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 02:48 AM

Jungs
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 03:14 AM

I have purchased from Jung's for over 40 years. My catalog came this week. Wow there is far more than 8% inflation in garden seeds, plants and sets.!!

Bryce
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 03:16 AM

Thanks guys
Posted By: Zim

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 03:23 AM

You can't go wrong with Jung's.
Lately I have been very pleased with Seeds and Such.
Founded by a guy who used to be with Totally Tomatoes.
Real good seeds, shipping and prices.
As Bryce said above, prices have really gone up.

Zim
Posted By: 080808

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 03:28 AM

I have ordered from seeds n such and been very happy also.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 03:33 AM

I have not gardened in a long while but I ordered my seeds from a mail order burpee catalog. Bought tomato and chili plants at a local green house. Grocery store had seed potato's every spring.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 03:46 AM

Totally Tomatoes if you're into tomatoes and peppers.

I'm bad to plant a dozen or more different tomatoes and peppers.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Totally Tomatoes if you're into tomatoes and peppers.

I'm bad to plant a dozen or more different tomatoes and peppers.

Agree
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 04:14 AM

Are they heirloom, so you can seed save every year?
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 04:19 AM

They supply a lot of the Amish farmers in MO with seed.

https://www.morgancountyseeds.com
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 04:21 AM

Most local feedstores in Ohio and probably elsewhere, have seeds in bulk that they sell by weight or measurement for a tiny fraction of seed catalog or box store prices. My local feed store sells a great variety of seeds, all from Rupp.

Keith
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Are they heirloom, so you can seed save every year?

seed savers exchange if you want all heirloom

they are out of Iowa
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 04:46 AM

I like the selection Seeds and Such have but a good price?? $4 for a VERY small amount of most seeds is not at all what I would consider a good price. I ordered from them last year, was disappointed, forgot about being disappointed, ordered from them again and am even more disappointed. If I pay $4 for a pack of seeds I expect more than 10 pepper seeds.

Fedco is one of my favorites for price.

Baker Creek if I just need a pack or two (and they have it) since they always have free shipping (but their prices are also high at $4 or so a pack but at least it's a decent amount of seed).

Southern Exposure, Sow True Seed, and Sandhill Preservation are all pretty good.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 04:55 AM

I've ordered from Jung's, Baker Creek, Seed Saver's Exchange, and R. H. Shumway. Quit Burpees a number of years ago. Their prices were outrageous for the time and they cut their selection by 3/4. Been buying seeds at the local farm store for the last few years. The past two I have had issues with the squash. Last spring I bought acorn squash and ended up with a nice crop of butternut.
Posted By: BvrRtrvr

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 05:04 AM

I have had very good luck with Baker Creek for the past 10-15 years. They have a Very generous seed count on most of their tomato/pepper seeds. If it says 30/pack it is not unusual if there are 45-60 in there. All of the others that I have used...if it says 30..consider yourself lucky if there are 32. Yes, Seeds 'n' Such was started by the same gentleman that started Totally Tomato & several others. He sold out & retired for a couple of years before he got bored & started Seeds 'n' Such. I had very good service from them & the only hiccup along the way..he dealt with in a very timely manner. I never had an issue with Totally Tomato..other than the high shipping/handling. Tomato Growers Supply in Florida has good selection in certain heirlooms that I have grown...but excessive shipping on small quantity. Service from all of these companies was exceptional.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
They supply a lot of the Amish farmers in MO with seed.

https://www.morgancountyseeds.com

Link is bad
Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 01:28 PM

[quote=Catch22]Are they heirloom, so you can seed save every year?[/quote

Heirlooms are good for saving seeds. Just be aware they have low disease resistance and will take more fungicide spray to keep them healthy if you live in a humid environment.

Around here everybody wants a german johnson and in the same breath ask if you have used any pesticides or fungicides. I just laugh and tell them I am as organic as the bugs and fungus will allow.

I have learned buying a strain of seeds with multiple disease resistance sure does make things easier.

Everybody thinks they are created in some lab somewhere. Most are just selective breeding for the strongest plants.

Lately I have used Red snapper, lemon boy, purple boy and tachi. Found an improved lemon boy to use this year and gonna try shelby instead of tachi for my roma tomato.
Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I like the selection Seeds and Such have but a good price?? $4 for a VERY small amount of most seeds is not at all what I would consider a good price. I ordered from them last year, was disappointed, forgot about being disappointed, ordered from them again and am even more disappointed. If I pay $4 for a pack of seeds I expect more than 10 pepper seeds.

Baker Creek if I just need a pack or two (and they have it) since they always have free shipping (but their prices are also high at $4 or so a pack but at least it's a decent amount of seed).

Southern Exposure, Sow True Seed, and Sandhill Preservation are all pretty good.

You wanna get some sticker shock, go on pepper joe's and look at the prices of their super hots. Some are $1/seed!!!! Seed prices are nuts now!!
Posted By: Zim

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

As stated, prices have sure gone up. Seeds and Such give a price break of 50 cents a pack if you order 20 or more, which I do.
Amounts per pack very and new releases are expensive. They had an early bird offer over Christmas time of 25% off and $4.95 shipping.

Zim
Posted By: lobo

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 02:14 PM

I looked online yesterday. I only needed a couple small packs of seed. I checked around and was surprised that a lot of places wanted to charge as much for shipping as they wanted for the seeds.

I ordered from Baker creek and got free shipping. Got my 2 packs of seeds for less than $6.00.

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by lobo
I looked online yesterday. I only needed a couple small packs of seed. I checked around and was surprised that a lot of places wanted to charge as much for shipping as they wanted for the seeds.

I ordered from Baker creek and got free shipping. Got my 2 packs of seeds for less than $6.00.

Good info
Posted By: 4 Fur

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 02:55 PM

I also like Jung. Has anyone mentioned Harris? And Park has been around for a long time. My daughters have me order their sweet corn seed from Rupp.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 04:06 PM

Jungs, totally tomatoes and Shumway are all in the same building.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 04:35 PM

I bought some late season cheap seeds at Wal Mart once.
10 cents.
Opened the package and found 10 seeds.
just
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Garden seeds - 01/13/23 04:48 PM

For many years, Gurney's Seed Company is where we always ordered from. We have had excellent results using their seeds. They have been around since 1866. I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned yet?
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Garden seeds - 01/25/23 11:20 AM

I always order from Jung- yesterday at Farm & Fleet they had a wide display and variety of Livingston Seeds, they also had a few specific seeds that Jung did not offer (mostly pumpkin varieties) - I'm not familiar with the brand, albeit it's been around since 1850.
Has anyone had successful germination and Livingston Seeds?
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Garden seeds - 01/25/23 02:06 PM

I have had great luck with Baker Creek, Gurneys, and True Leaf. Last fall, our local Home and Garden Stores were discounting left over seed packets. I picked up several hundred Burpee Organic Heirlooms for 10 cents each. Hard to beat that price locally, even if it's only 10 seeds in the pack, many have more though.

Re: Garden seeds - 01/25/23 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
For many years, Gurney's Seed Company is where we always ordered from. We have had excellent results using their seeds. They have been around since 1866. I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned yet?

Their prices qua-trippled ....and Quality went out the window

I ordered from them for 40 years. NOT ANYMORE
© 2024 Trapperman Forums