Home

Gun guys Rem 700 question

Posted By: Yes sir

Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 12:35 AM

If you were going to buy one are their any years that may be better than the others? It's my understanding from about mid 90s to newer the quality has been questionable so I guess I'm ask about models built from the 60s till then. Any thoughts on the early ones with stainless barrels?
Thanks
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 12:40 AM

I’m partial to the brass pin models
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 12:40 AM

Can't answer about the stainless models but my 700 BDL from 1977 is a wonderful firearm. From my cold dead hands.....

Chris
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 12:47 AM

as long as it was appropriately priced for condition , only thing is I would drop a timney in it right away

other than that absolutely never trust it won't go off when closing the action but you really shouldn't do that with any rifle
Posted By: BRONZEBACK

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 03:13 AM

I have (3) 700 Titaniums. ‘06, 308, 7mm-08. None are tack drivers but have 1” - 1.5” accuracy with good factory loads. Those Ti’s are a joy to carry.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by BRONZEBACK
I have (3) 700 Titaniums. ‘06, 308, 7mm-08. None are tack drivers but have 1” - 1.5” accuracy with good factory loads. Those Ti’s are a joy to carry.

Those should all be .75 rifles so you may need to bed them. I prefer the older 70 and 80's vintage but again it depends on what kind of care they have had.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 03:24 AM

Do some research as there was a period with some firing on closing the bolt issues or saftey issue's in late 90s early 2000s I think

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 03:25 AM

Do some research as there was a period with some firing on closing the bolt issues or saftey issue's in late 90s early 2000s I think
Posted By: keets

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 03:33 AM

I think the problems only occurred on rifles that got "trigger jobs"
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 03:43 AM

To my knowledge the first stainless barrels were chambered in 264 win mag but were colored bull. I have 1 and it a great gun. My opinion is the early ones are better
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 04:11 AM

I have a early 90's 270 is a tack driver with rem core-lok and a early 2000's 7mm , later 2008 300Rum, 280 Ti all are guns I'd never sell.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler

Had my Model 700 in 7MM MAG go off
without the trigger being pulled while sliding the safety off.

Only happened once.

The barrel was pointed straight upward & away when it
went off while up in a tree stand.

Gunsmith figured it was from the bolt
being dirty & in need of a good cleaning.

walleyed
Posted By: Posco

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed

Only happened once.

walleyed

I had my 7mm Mag discharge a couple of years doing the same thing. I wasn't expecting it and the trigger guard took a pretty good piece of skin off my finger. Happened just the one time but it was enough to make me leary of the rifle.

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 04:38 AM

I know there was a recall and lawsuits
Posted By: DWC

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed

Only happened once.

walleyed

Did u poo urself? Cuz i would have.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 04:57 AM

Yes it was one reason Remington filed bankruptcy. I know of 6 buddies that had them to go off on closing the bolt or pushing off the safety . ALL OF THEM had adjust the trigger pull . I have a 700 bdl in 6 mm and my son had one in 270 . I bought the 6 mm in 1979 for 200 bucks with a k-6 weaver on it . Trapped grey foxes to pay for it . It has had 1000’ s of rounds thru it and never an issue with discharge. Been many a groundhog died on the other end of that little rifle. Plus too many deer to remember.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 05:35 AM

Any 700 with the X Mark Pro trigger has the possibility of being a good shooter IF you are willing to drop another $150 to $250 on it for a good trigger. Timney, Jewel, Trigger Teck come to mind. Even though the X Mark is advertised as being adjustable it is not. I have one that was not consistant and stayed between 5.5 and 6 pounds no matter what you did with the adjustment screw. The gun is a 700 Long Range in 300 WM and will do a steady 1/2 inch at 200 yards with the Timney I put in it. Another one to keep mindful of is any rifles with RR in the serial number. These guns have bolt timing issues which is fixable by a good gunsmith. My Long Range is an RR gun and my sons custom built 700 in 300 WM also. Mine was fixed at the same as my sons custom was built by the same smith. I think he charged me $100. There are 8 700s in my family. One 338WM, three 300WM, one 270, one 6mm, one 22-250, and one 223. We have never had one go off when we didn't want it to. My 300, 6mm, and 223 are set to 24 ounces (1.5 pounds). All the others are set to 40 ounces (2.5 pounds).

I know there have been accidental discharges but all that I am aware of were triggers that were fondeled by Bubba many of whom only admitted to it after some pressure or alcololic lubricant was applied. I firmly believe it happened to the 700s because the adjustments are so accessable and misunderstood by the aforementioned Bubba.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 12:42 PM

I have a Mod 700 muzzleloader, never messed with the trigger, but one day had the firing pin mechanism release when I closed the bolt. Did not have a primer or charge in the barrel, but if I had it would have discharged. Do not know if The Mod700 law suit has been settled, but the judge ruled any Mod 700 that has had a discharge without a trigger pull, Rem. Has to repair. I sent it back and they replaced the trigger and have no trouble since. Since Rem. Bankruptcy there are companies tasked with the repairs.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 02:01 PM

I have two, one from the 60's and one about 70 something, never went off till you pull the trigger!
Posted By: Ohiowoodchuck

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 02:08 PM

I’ll take an older 700 with the walker trigger any day of the week!

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by keets

some did , but there were factory triggers also

it is an enclosed trigger sear design and they put a smear of grease in them, this was one of the possible causes grease got cold the sear didn't reset fully , bolt closed , sear was sitting on the very edge of the shelf and bang.
also take safety off and the trigger was being blocked by the safety and as soon as the safety off the trigger moves enough for the sear to fall.

the triggers over the years may have had issues for different reasons

it definitely isn't an issue everyone has and we don't hone how many were bad maintenance , poor cleaning , but it did happen more than other trigger desings

I still wouldn't trust it not that you should with any fully cocked striker , but the timney changed some of the geometry as I understand it as did the trigger for the recall replacement on those that had a recal
Posted By: EdP

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 02:35 PM

I have 2 700 BDLs and a Model 7 from the 80's. All are fine rifles. I put Timney triggers in the M7 and one of the 700s.

Rem had a recall on 700s with specific triggers. The problem I recall was that if the trigger was pulled while on safe, the rifle could fire when the safety was moved to off. Based on what others have said there were apparently other issues also. There is plenty of info on the web about the Rem trigger issues. Even if your rifle isn't one with a questionable trigger, a Timney replacement is a great upgrade for only about $125 and is an easy DIY task. The instructions provided with the trigger are excellent and Brownells has a good video on their site. When buying the trigger you can specify the desired pull weight if you don't want to do the adjustment yourself.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 02:57 PM

I'm familiar with an exact twin to the rifle jbyrd is holding. Purchased new in 1978. Before it had 100 rounds thru it, it had gone off on it's own when closing the bolt at least twice and maybe a third time, and nobody had touched the trigger adjustment. Was accurate enough to plink beer cans at 100 yards, so was accurate enough to plug deer, and it did.

Fast forward a few years and with 6mm Rem factory ammo unobtainable, I'm now reloading for it, with high expectations of one hole wonder accuracy. Now on paper with a decent shooter and a 5 shot group would eventually open up to 1.5 to 2 inches or more. What gives?

First thing was to replace the heavy pull trigger (about 5 or 6 pounds) with Timney trigger set at 2 pounds. That seems to have solved heavy pull and discharge problem.

Next was to realize that as these rifles left the factory, the action and barrel contacts the wood stock in three places. Two rear action screws pulling tight against wood stock, and a 3rd contact / pressure point just aft of the black spacer on the fore end of the stock. Put there intentionally by Remington and affecting harmonics of the barrel. General consensus the forward bump helps accuracy for the first or second shot, but if you keep shooting, the lightweight sporter barrel heats up, expands and starts pressing against that bump, which deflects barrel enough to send bullets elsewhere. One gunsmith also told me with or without the bump, a lightweight mass produced sporter barrel of this type can do that on it's own. As barrel heats up, groups open up. Nature of the beast. Or at least can be. Getting a good one that doesn't is possible, but a crap shoot. Same with action. Can be good, or not so much.

My dad had a nearly identical 700 BDL in 270 Win, which was a late 60's era gun, it has never misfired even once and is a 1 MOA gun or better. to my knowledge, original trigger (about 3 pounds), and same light sporter barrel. Original bedding, bump and all. Rifles like his are what set the standard and why they were so popular.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 03:32 PM

BTW, it could be I've been spending too much time with the Bix Bender boys on the reloading forums, but as it turns out, nearly any old Rem 700 can be revived with a new barrel and worst case, blue print the action and glass bed and pillar the stock. Do all that and you can have the shooter of your dreams.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 03:43 PM

Yup.
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 03:58 PM

I have one in .223 that I bought just before the recall. I shipped it back and it took about 6 weeks to return. They said it was for cleaning, but I put a mark on the trigger and it came back with a new trigger group. The note in the box said "professional cleaning". Lol.
The new trigger is extremely good for a factory trigger.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 04:10 PM

Speaking of the physical rifle itself as fabricated, not allowing for ownership and care, I’ve owned over time a number of model 700’s both ADL and BDL. All predate the mid 90’s I believe and all were great valu and great rifles period.

I’d add that I’ve had a good number of pre 90’s Winchester’s as well, XTR’s and otherwise and found them all to be really good rifles.

Maybe these days they are better? Don’t know for sure. It seems manufacturers were better at applying standards then versus mass output.
Just my take on it, nothing scientific.

Osky
Edit: the last 700 I bought was maybe 10 years ago at the DNR confiscate auction. God ugly rifle with a great bore, no physical damage just lipstick ugly. I scoped it and while testing it fired a round while closing the bolt. I called Remington and they checked the serial and said it was pre recall issue (88)? They said send it in anyway. They put in a new trigger assembly, set the pull weight exactly what I asked, and per conversation with them they re blued it. Trigger is crisp, metal looks fabulous, and while they had the metal I got the stock redone. Beautiful, tack driver now.
Cost, 65 bucks for the factory re blue. That ugly 220.00 rifle is now the Princess.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman

Yup.

Absolutely , not true. Re read my last post.
Posted By: charles

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 06:44 PM

Have five. None are real new. A CDL Mountain in280 has a thin barrel. It is the least accurate. An old ADL 270 is my go to deer rifle.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 06:50 PM

Yes Sir,
I spent 30 years working at Remington. DuPont sold Remington to investment bankers in 1993.

I would recommend trying to by one no later than 1996 manufacture. If you can fine one from 1962 to 1993 even better.

If you have any other questions send me a pm.

There is a lot of information out there that isn't quite correct.

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 06:53 PM

Thanks everyone
Posted By: jtg

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 06:59 PM

Expensive but nice add on to the 700. https://www.larue.com/products/combo-lt719-qd-ultra-low-mount-larue-cheek-pad-and-lt113-rail/
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 07:22 PM

I bought my LAST 700, it was a high end varmeter in a .223 with a stainless fluted barrel and good stock. It wouldn't shoot for crap and I tried different loads to no avail. The trigger felt like 12 pounds and you felt like the safety was on when you tried to shoot it. The more the barrel warmed up, the more it threw bullets. I took it to a gunsmith to have the barrel threaded for a suppressor and he wouldn't do it because the bore was so crooked, he thought I would have a baffle strike.

I called Krieger and they said it was common on Remington fluted barrels because they grind the outside and the flutes after it's rifled relieving or adding stress causing the bent barrel. So, when it heated up it got worse. He told me he had seen them that you couldn't see light when you looked through them.

So, I had a new Krieger barrel made and put a Jewel trigger in it and it makes cloverleaf groups now. If, I ever built a 700 again, I would just start with the action, doubt I would ever do that though. I got stung pretty good on that one.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 08:16 PM

Do this with any 700 with the original Walker trigger.
With an unloaded rifle securely supported on a bench (bipods or heavy bag), have one person place the pad of their trigger finger on the trigger, applying enough pressure on the trigger to leave a fingerprint. Now have another person ease the safety forward to the fire position.
Many of them will go off from that tiny bit of pressure on the trigger.
Walker knew this and strongly urged Remington to upgrade HIS design to prevent this from happening. Remington decided not to due to the increase in costs per rifle to do so. Anyone care to guess what that cost per rifle amount was?

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/21/23 08:47 PM

All this trigger talk I have a question. Can the trigger in the 788 have this same issue?

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/22/23 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
All this trigger talk I have a question. Can the trigger in the 788 have this same issue?

there are some reports of it .

however it was never officially recalled , although you can see from people on this thread they have had 700 rifles with the issue that didn't fall under recall.

if you like the rifle , put a 3 pound timney in it and you will likely like it even more
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/22/23 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56
I bought my LAST 700, it was a high end varmeter in a .223 with a stainless fluted barrel and good stock. It wouldn't shoot for crap and I tried different loads to no avail. The trigger felt like 12 pounds and you felt like the safety was on when you tried to shoot it. The more the barrel warmed up, the more it threw bullets. I took it to a gunsmith to have the barrel threaded for a suppressor and he wouldn't do it because the bore was so crooked, he thought I would have a baffle strike.

I called Kreiger and they said it was common on Remington fluted barrels because they grind the outside and the flutes after it's rifled relieving or adding stress causing the bent barrel. So, when it heated up it got worse. He told me he had seen them that you couldn't see light when you looked through them.

So, I had a new Kreiger barrel made and put a Jewel trigger in it and it makes cloverleaf groups now. If, I ever built a 700 again, I would just start with the action, doubt I would ever do that though. I got stung pretty good on that one.

I would believe almost all barrels are contoured and or fluted after rifling.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/22/23 07:20 PM

I wouldn't trade mine for nothing. Never heard from someone that had one go off unintentionally until these guys.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/22/23 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
Originally Posted by Flipper 56

I called Kreiger and they said it was common on Remington fluted barrels because they grind the outside and the flutes after it's rifled relieving or adding stress causing the bent barrel. So, when it heated up it got worse. He told me he had seen them that you couldn't see light when you looked through them.

So, I had a new Krieger barrel made and put a Jewel trigger in it and it makes cloverleaf groups now. If, I ever built a 700 again, I would just start with the action, doubt I would ever do that though. I got stung pretty good on that one.

I would believe almost all barrels are contoured and or fluted after rifling.

Button-rifled barrels will have stress ADDED to them by fluting. Cut-rifled barrels are not ill effected by fluting. This is the difference between the Remington and the Krieger barrel.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/22/23 07:44 PM

As does hammer forging.

I thought most factory barrels were hammered but read where some are buttoned.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/22/23 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Yes it was one reason Remington filed bankruptcy. I know of 6 buddies that had them to go off on closing the bolt or pushing off the safety . ALL OF THEM had adjust the trigger pull . I have a 700 bdl in 6 mm and my son had one in 270 . I bought the 6 mm in 1979 for 200 bucks with a k-6 weaver on it . Trapped grey foxes to pay for it . It has had 1000’ s of rounds thru it and never an issue with discharge. Been many a groundhog died on the other end of that little rifle. Plus too many deer to remember.
[Linked Image]

I

I have adjusted 100's of Remington 700 triggers. I clean both the bolt and trigger . That is the first thing you do to ensure good engagement. If they would have did these steps the rifles would not go off. After I get the trigger where I want it. I put it back in the stock and do this.

Cycle bolt as fast and hard as you would when hunting.

After that put on safe and bang the butt stock on a pillow. Take it off safe and repeat. If it goes off the trigger does not have a good enough sear engagement. Add a few more oz to the trigger and try again.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/22/23 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Do this with any 700 with the original Walker trigger.
With an unloaded rifle securely supported on a bench (bipods or heavy bag), have one person place the pad of their trigger finger on the trigger, applying enough pressure on the trigger to leave a fingerprint. Now have another person ease the safety forward to the fire position.
Many of them will go off from that tiny bit of pressure on the trigger.
Walker knew this and strongly urged Remington to upgrade HIS design to prevent this from happening. Remington decided not to due to the increase in costs per rifle to do so. Anyone care to guess what that cost per rifle amount was?

I remember watching a news show like 60 minutes or some other one, can’t remember the cost to upgrade the trigger and it was low, less than $5.00?

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/22/23 11:44 PM

wasn't asa much the cost to Remington for doing the up grade as the liability cost if they abmitted the wrong doing

Re: Gun guys Rem 700 question - 01/22/23 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay
I'm familiar with an exact twin to the rifle jbyrd is holding. Purchased new in 1978. Before it had 100 rounds thru it, it had gone off on it's own when closing the bolt at least twice and maybe a third time, and nobody had touched the trigger adjustment. Was accurate enough to plink beer cans at 100 yards, so was accurate enough to plug deer, and it did.

Fast forward a few years and with 6mm Rem factory ammo unobtainable, I'm now reloading for it, with high expectations of one hole wonder accuracy. Now on paper with a decent shooter and a 5 shot group would eventually open up to 1.5 to 2 inches or more. What gives?

First thing was to replace the heavy pull trigger (about 5 or 6 pounds) with Timney trigger set at 2 pounds. That seems to have solved heavy pull and discharge problem.

Next was to realize that as these rifles left the factory, the action and barrel contacts the wood stock in three places. Two rear action screws pulling tight against wood stock, and a 3rd contact / pressure point just aft of the black spacer on the fore end of the stock. Put there intentionally by Remington and affecting harmonics of the barrel. General consensus the forward bump helps accuracy for the first or second shot, but if you keep shooting, the lightweight sporter barrel heats up, expands and starts pressing against that bump, which deflects barrel enough to send bullets elsewhere. One gunsmith also told me with or without the bump, a lightweight mass produced sporter barrel of this type can do that on it's own. As barrel heats up, groups open up. Nature of the beast. Or at least can be. Getting a good one that doesn't is possible, but a crap shoot. Same with action. Can be good, or not so much.

My dad had a nearly identical 700 BDL in 270 Win, which was a late 60's era gun, it has never misfired even once and is a 1 MOA gun or better. to my knowledge, original trigger (about 3 pounds), and same light sporter barrel. Original bedding, bump and all. Rifles like his are what set the standard and why they were so popular.

Hay day I shoot an 87 gr spritzer with 48 grains of 4831 . It will shoot 1/2 groups at 100 all day. 2 of the 3 will almost be in the same hole but the third is always got the triangle. Factory corelocky 80 or 100 gr and it was 7/8 to 1 in at 100. Some loads I messed with years ago it was bad. 1-3 in groups . But I haven't changed the load in that rifle for over 20 years.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums