Home

Cell Phone Best Coverage

Posted By: Nate L

Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 01:43 PM

Wondering what your experiences are for cell coverage based on service provider. Curious for coverage around the US and especially Minnesota, for areas off the beaten path (everyone seems to have decent service in big cities).

I currently have a personal phone and a work phone. One is Verizon and the other is AT&T. I can usually get service on one or the other most places unless extremely remote. With AT&T seeming to have slightly better coverage, at least for the places I go.

Looking at maybe moving to T-Mobile instead of Verizon due to cost and incentives. I have been with Verizon over 15 years and haven't had T-Mobile/Sprint before.

What say you?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 01:48 PM

around here its ATT. verizon is spotty. I have both, work phone and cell cameras use verizon and personal phone uses ATT
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 02:02 PM

Let's just say the coverage maps for both AT&T and Verizon are waaaaay optimistic in Northern Minnesota. You really need to figure out where you are going to be and then look at a map of where the towers are. Once you get off a main highway in Minnesota, T mobile is lost.

The other option is to get one of the phone companies that use any tower.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 02:04 PM

Verizon works for me in the Plains states area. My Son has Sprint in Lincoln NE but he gets outside of Lincoln it's useless.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nate L

Wondering what your experiences are for cell coverage based on service provider. Curious for coverage around the US and especially Minnesota, for areas off the beaten path (everyone seems to have decent service in big cities).

I currently have a personal phone and a work phone. One is Verizon and the other is AT&T. I can usually get service on one or the other most places unless extremely remote. With AT&T seeming to have slightly better coverage, at least for the places I go.

Looking at maybe moving to T-Mobile instead of Verizon due to cost and incentives. I have been with Verizon over 15 years and haven't had T-Mobile/Sprint before.

What say you?

I Tried to go back to T mobile... I got 2 new phones and the stores clerk said "try them out with new numbers - don't import your old # - untroubled know you like them - use the Trial period " so I tried. 4 half hour trips ( one way) to Cambridge MN. And 15 phone calls with my Verizon phone to the Tmobile Tech's . Big waste of time and Gas money. The Tmobile phones or Their service area coverage hasn't gotten better since I had them 10 years ago.

Stick with Verizon.

***I'm sure glad I didn't add my number to the Tmobile trial phone . T MOBILE is still trying to bill me for phones I mailed back.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 02:48 PM

I have a US cellular and in WI it and Verizon or your best

my wife and kids have unlocked phones that we go between carriers with , Ting and Google mainly both can put you on the T-mobile net or the Verison networks for actual service but it is a user agreement they pay Verizon to buy time on their towers.

mile out of the city limits or a couple miles off the interstate and T-Mobile in rural sw WI is sad very sad

my sons phone can change what network he uses with a tower switch app , the Motorola phones won't let the app load but the Samsung works

we pulled off 90 the other day and we were maybe 3 miles off the interstate and he said lost data , and was switching to Verizon on his app
Posted By: Kre

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 03:03 PM

In Northern WI, ATT is the best. I've had US Cellular and Verizon, but will stick with ATT
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 03:14 PM

T mobile is terrible. Stay with Verizon.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 03:26 PM

With today's technology and cell phones that can do anything, why is there not perfect service with every one of these providers everywhere across the United States? You can facetime somebody across the globe but they can't build towers that give good reception everywhere across the US?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by canebrake
With today's technology and cell phones that can do anything, why is there not perfect service with every one of these providers everywhere across the United States? You can facetime somebody across the globe but they can't build towers that give good reception everywhere across the US?

Rural lives don't matter

remember they had a human vaccine for lymes also and there weren't enough people who matter to keep it around , rural populations don't count

also why they want the electoral college gone , right now if every rural person and state votes it can make a difference , if electoral college is removed and mob rule takes over it will seal the results of every election 10 large cities will decide the fate of the country.

remember you are Deplorable and inconvenient.

Posted By: Catch22

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 03:46 PM

If Verizon works in your area, look into Mint Mobil, they use Verizon towers. I switched to Mint around Thanksgiving and I get the same reception as I did with Verizon for a huge savings. Mileage may very.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 04:35 PM

I had Verizon and the service/cost was terrible. I switched to consumer cellular for $20/month and very happy with the service. They use all the big guys towers.
Posted By: ToCatchAPredator

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 04:39 PM

I’m an electrician for att and Verizon. I can assure you that any knock off carrier that uses either of their towers are only getting a base broadband with their basic technology. Att and Verizon are leaders because they have the best hands down and they’re not going to let their sub networks have the same or better signal for their customers. That being said, Verizon tends to have better equipment but att has Firstnet which is a contract with first responders and emergency services, and they have a tower generally on property or withing close proximity to these building. I personally have ATT and again I’ve worked for both for 6 years now and I switched from Verizon to att.

Att tends to have more technology per tower and these technologies tend to overlap each other far better than Verizon
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 06:23 PM

Switched from Verizon to T-Mobile.
Not a good choice for any rural travels.
Pretty common to loose all service.
If traveling inside there 5G networks.
(Towns and all major travel corridors I use.)
Its far superior to me.

Because of my outdoor activities if I had to choose.
I would go back to Verizon only because of service areas.

Also I will say all T-Mobile promotions , have big hooks somewhere in the print.
Don't be afraid to look at it closely .

Of course most other providers have the same issues, I'm sure.

No experience with ATT .
But I'm curious now.
Posted By: Malukchuk

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 07:34 PM

i switched over to Geico and saved a ton of money.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 09:45 PM

Usually if a phone service has good coverage they usually don't have a good plan or visa versa. Used to drive truck OTR and found the Verison had the best coverage but hated paying their high monthly fees. I went to Wally World and got on Straight Talk a few years ago and have been more than pleased with it. $35.00/month and rarely lose service unless I am up around the Canadian boarder, then it can be touch and go but I can usually text if need be.
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/25/23 11:40 PM

Have had huge headaches here in Nebraska with US Cellular, Version and a couple of others. Got to the place nearly every call was dropped.
Long story short, I have Straight Talk for Walmart with a Moto G phone now smile. Good reception, no dropped calls and 5G of service at $45 a month.
Went to Hughs Net for the web and very happy there for it includes Wi-Fi here at home.
Roy
Posted By: MJM

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/26/23 12:04 AM

Why pay for a headache? Just get rid of it. You can live with out one.
Posted By: Nate L

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/26/23 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info, your experiences are definitely helpful as I work to figure out what to do. It doesn't sound like anyone has had much luck with T-Mobile except on major travel corridors.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/26/23 01:33 PM

I have straight talk too, $35/ bucks a month, my phone works good.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/26/23 01:40 PM

I have verison and at the ranch which is very remote it is a hit miss event. 95% I would say you have no service and then if in a few spots I may get service once in a great while.
I like it that way doesn't bother me if no service. Less is better in some cases for me.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/26/23 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nate L
Thanks for the info, your experiences are definitely helpful as I work to figure out what to do. It doesn't sound like anyone has had much luck with T-Mobile except on major travel corridors.

Even then it's not covered well
More like in and out
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/26/23 01:53 PM

Ran Verizon and my State phone last summer was a ATT so I’d say coverage seemed equal. Switched to ATT their customer service is non existent it’s “you can’t get there from here!” Worst I ever ran into and I had a Tracphone before. LOL.

Hunted central MO last year my Verizon was useless in many areas if your not on Wi-Fi your screwed. For all they brag about technology it sure seems to get less efficient and more about selling you junk you don’t need and cannot use as intended.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/27/23 05:25 AM

Anyone use Patriot Mobile cell service? I just found out it’s available here. Talking to customer service tomorrow.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Cell Phone Best Coverage - 01/27/23 06:05 AM

AT&T here because it works the rest are to spotty
© 2024 Trapperman Forums