Home

A heirloom .22, wanted

Posted By: Donnersurvivor

A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 12:49 AM

I would like to get a new .22, something of great quality that can be passed down generations. Must be a bolt action, deadly accurate and a hunting not target style gun.

I'll probably sell my Belgium A5 to buy it so I'll have a healthy budget. Anything come to mind?
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 01:08 AM

Check the Pawn shops. That is where all of my Quackenbushes as well as the old Carnival 22's have come from.
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 01:17 AM

Winchester model 52b sporter......... I have my grandpa's original and a miruku remake version both deadly deadly accurate.
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 01:31 AM

The ruger 77/22 is a good quality as well ..
That Winchester 52 sporter , I agree is very good choice
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 01:52 AM

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/968049566
Posted By: Trappercass

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 01:53 AM

Model 52 or a 40x are the first that come to my mind!
Anschutz would also have a couple offerings that would fit the description
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 01:53 AM

Cooper and ANSCHÜTZ make nice and expensive .22 rifles.

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 01:58 AM

ANSCHÜTZ would be a good one too but I'm a sucker for the quality engineering this country use to standby.

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

That is a beautiful rifle. I fully intend to use whatever i purchase, the kids will get it scratches and all, ide prefer not to be the one to break in a old virgin like that.

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 02:00 AM

I’m not sure they are still in production but kimber at least at one point made a lr that is fairly sought after as well

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 02:08 AM

Cz put out the 452 to compete with the 52, remington also had a model to compete against it as well but I don't recall the model. The cz can be picked up at decent price
Posted By: Jmack

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 02:09 AM

Check out Old Arms of Idaho, they have some Winchester 22s and few others on their website. Not bad prices either. I have picked up some parts from them and they where easy to work with.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 02:17 AM

what is your goal in this , heirloom quality 22lr

how many kids do you have? are you looking to pass this on through family or you just want a extra special 22 ?

the down side of many 22s for long term use is going to be parts , so it has to be popular enough that parts will be available for a long time

isn't the Browning A5 heirloom quality by it's self

just wondering what your looking for in this gun , what is it's purpose?

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

how many kids do you have? are you looking to pass this on through family or you just want a extra special 22 ?

the down side of many 22s for long term use is going to be parts , so it has to be popular enough that parts will be available for a long time

This will be "dad's gun" the gun they remember dad shooting squirrels with, rabbits, pest on the farm. Parts availability is why I shy away from some of the rarer stuff.

Basically I want a gun to use, that the kids will remember and want someday, not a collector piece but a very nice functional gun that will last multiple lifetimes.

The A5 has no sentimental value to me. My beretta 391 however will be something I hope to pass down.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 03:24 AM

Got a 1948 Remington 513-S ...tack driving machine
Posted By: hipp2412

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 03:36 AM

Remington 541 s or the 541T. They shoot great and look good also.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 03:40 AM

[Linked Image]

Kimber model 82, gotta find a used one as they don't make them anymore.

This one I bought new in the early '80's.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 03:43 AM

X2 hipp. Purchased a 541-t in 80s. Was my squirrel gun. Looking back wished I would have purchased a 541-s but had 2 little girls and not much money but one of my grandkids will get it. One of Remingtons best. Was only made a few years.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 03:43 AM

Henry makes some really nice lever action 22s
Posted By: Osagian

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 03:52 AM

Nothing says Americana like a Marlin 39A. Lever action so those rascally democrats cant take it because it's an automatic. Will shoot shorts, longs and long rifles so your kids can learn to shoot with it. They have a reputation for accuracy. Get a aperture sight for it and keep up with the boys that are shooting scopes.
And John Wayne would like you to have one. He probably had one. He'd say something like; "Donnerssurvivor, Go and git you one of them fine shooting, hair splitting Marlin 39As". Then he'd spit, get on his horse and ride away.

They're kinda high. The ones I see on GunBroker in good shape are going for a grand or so.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 03:54 AM

Remington 541-S
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

This will be "dad's gun" the gun they remember dad shooting squirrels with, rabbits, pest on the farm. Parts availability is why I shy away from some of the rarer stuff.

Basically I want a gun to use, that the kids will remember and want someday, not a collector piece but a very nice functional gun that will last multiple lifetimes.

The A5 has no sentimental value to me. My beretta 391 however will be something I hope to pass down.

that is sort of what I was thinking.

what makes a gun special isn't that it was perfect , it is that you made memories with them and that rifle.

I recently bought an Ithaca M37 20ga featherweight deerslayer , because it was as close as I was ever going to get to my great uncles deer gun , we hunted together for 27 years before he passed a few years go. his son has the gun.
mine has a different serial number the same in every other way.
I plan to hunt with it next season , the importance isn't the gun but the memories it brings back.

I would suggest you look first at a good user a good tool almost any decent 22lr will last a couple generations if you can get a spare set of springs and a few magazines for it.

if you were not set on a bolt action ,a 10/22 is a handy farm gun you can get it with the deluxe stock in walnut and there are parts everywhere for them you could have spares of everything and they can run forever.
what I would not get is just one , I would find that user you like and buy one for you and each of your kids then go make the memories with them they can fight over who gets "yours" but they will have their own and their own memories to go with them also.

don't worry about it being heirloom quality , just good quality 22s are tools

Ruger American rimfire , it uses 10/22 mags

The CZ 457 is still made and available

Savage makes the MKII they are very accurate the magazines are a touch of a weak point , just don't sit on them and have some spares.

make the memories with what you think is a good user that fits your needs.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Colpetzer
Henry makes some really nice lever action 22s

This is what I think of when I picture a rifle that will passed down for generations.

Sorry I'm no help on a bolt action. Never cared for them personally.

I always wanted a semi-auto Browning .22 myself.
Posted By: nate

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 05:11 AM

Mossberg 142k if you can find one , you would look long and hard and probably not find any bolt action better.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 05:18 AM

If you don't have a absolute of being American, I'd go with a CZ. They are made like the old school Rem's, Win's and such. Tackdriver.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MChewk

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 12:35 PM

Dirty D that is a beauty!
Posted By: DWC

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 01:19 PM

The Browning lever and semi auto are what came to mind when I read this. They also have the T bolt. All are in that 800-900 range I think.
Do you currently have any guns youve had a long time?
I have several of my dad’s guns since he passed away 14 years ago. A couple ill never sell because of the memories I have from getting to shoot or carry them when I was young. The others Ill never part with are the ones he told me stories about.
For instance, he had four Ithaca 37’s. A 12, two 16’s and a 20. The 12 he bought during his lunch break at school his senior year and the principal kept it in his office the rest of the day if I remember right. One of the 16’s has all the bluing worn off and I was allowed to carry that when I was pretty young.
You may already have something that fits the bill?

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 01:31 PM

Turnbull could also do a one of a kind project. I had them case harden a couple rugers for my kids and engrave the barrels.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 02:07 PM

I know you said you are looking for a bolt action rifle . But the Marlin 39 A& 39M lever action .22 caliber are about as classic a gun as you can buy .If they are taken care of they last forever And the ones made during the 60 ,70,&80 not only hold their value they are now worth 7 to 10 times what they cost from new And another option is the Ruger .22 CALIBER Model K77/22-VBZIt was made from 1993 to 2016 so it might be a little hard to find one . But it fits the description of "This was Dad's gun" perfectly . They are made with a light brown to dark brown laminated stock and a Grey stainless action and barrel. If you put a scope on it to match the action and barrel . it will stand out in any group of other guns And anyone that you would pass it on too would indeed be blessed to own it
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: A heirloom .22, wanted - 01/29/23 02:29 PM

If you want American, you either buy a new Ruger or buy a used gun. I would start by watching armslist for a month or so. Watch for local auctions. Get on gunbroker and find a model you like. Plenty to choose from. If you got two sons you might think about keeping the A5 for one and the new 22 for the other. I have an A5 made in the early 40's. Grandad bought it new. Old gun still lays shot right where you point it without jamming.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums