Home

Snare guys

Posted By: MnJag

Snare guys - 01/29/23 04:49 PM

How do you go about getting cam locks off a coyote or anything else for that matter. Any tricks or just get in with pliers and try not to pull to much hair? Thanks in advance for the tips
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 04:56 PM

If they arent coming off easy when the coyotes frozen, they come off easily once the coyote thaws.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 05:00 PM

You grab the lock between the neck and lock, lift up firmly, it should open enough to open the loop when you lift.
I try telling bird hunters this, but some rather use a pliers on it
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 05:05 PM

I always use a pair of Klein side cutters to cut the cable off asap. Not like you are gonna re-use that piece of cable. Save the parts in an old Tylenol bottle and bucket the old cable.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 05:06 PM

Cable cutters. If you snare you need to have cable cutters. They're the only thing that can cut the cable without a fight. If you use 1x19 cable you won't pull fur.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 05:15 PM

The mini cams are even harder to get off.
just
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Cable cutters. If you snare you need to have cable cutters.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: caldwellite

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 05:46 PM

Buy the better Cable cutters.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 05:49 PM

Just grab your felco c-7 and snip.
If a fox or cat or under ice beaver snare you can just unwire it,unwind it from the brush/pole,and take it off the animal when it thaws out.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 06:08 PM

Never had problems But all we can snare is beaver. Under ice &.open water.
If the lock is tangled I use cable cutters
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 06:57 PM

Here's your answer... https://www.funketraptags.com/product-page/cable-cutters These work as good or better than the expensive C7 cutters and are a lot cheaper and smaller to carry on the line. I've had both for years and these cut clean every time just like the C7's. You can open these up and push them hard into the area where the cable is and squeeze them, they don't cut as much hair as the C7's due t the cutter being shorter. I always cut the cable on the belly side of the critter so a few cut hairs won't show anyway.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 07:40 PM

The C-7 type cable cutters. Also, if you ever get a non target that you need to release unharmed, but theyre not cooperating, youre going to be glad you have a pair of cutters that snip at the tip of the pliers. Deer come to mind. You can reach right in there, snip it, and theyre on their way. That style of cutters really is that helpful for snare removal.

Another option is to build your snares with a loop end, rather than an end stop. This will allow the easiest cable snipping. Sometimes I build my camlock snares with a loop end, other times I dont.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 08:34 PM

Chances are the snare is unusable. I always carry a cable cutter with me.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Chances are the snare is unusable. I always carry a cable cutter with me.

As long as there are no sharp kinks in it,the cable is re useable,however not for a snare.
Cut close to the lock and you can make extensions etc out of the used cable.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 09:44 PM

[quote=~ADC~]Here's your answer... https://www.funketraptags.com/product-page/cabl

I have c-7, but have used these building lights, the work well
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Snare guys - 01/29/23 10:33 PM

$25 USA made at The Snare Shop in IA the last time I checked. I don't leave home without them one on me in a holder and a spare in the truck when I'm trapping.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Snare guys - 01/30/23 01:51 AM

Thanks for all of the replies I do have a pair of cutters but don't usually bring them on the line. Just keep them for building snares. I will look into a pair of the style adc posted to take with me.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Snare guys - 01/30/23 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by MnJag
Thanks for all of the replies I do have a pair of cutters but don't usually bring them on the line. Just keep them for building snares. I will look into a pair of the style adc posted to take with me.

You won't be disappointed in them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums