Home

Almost ready

Posted By: Dana I

Almost ready - 01/29/23 11:16 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Spent all day prepping the farrowing room for the pigs that are due starting next weekend. Installed a new heater and pressure washed the whole place. A few more odds and ends to finish up the next couple days and we should be in business.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Almost ready - 01/29/23 11:38 PM

Looks mighty clean in there!
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Almost ready - 01/29/23 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Looks mighty clean in there!

I used to work in a farrowing barn. All that crap on the sides of every stall would have been unacceptable. Lol
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Almost ready - 01/29/23 11:55 PM

Nice set up to
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Almost ready - 01/31/23 03:19 PM

Very nice set up. How many sows do you have? Breed?

I have 2 farrowing in the next couple weeks and 2 more in a month. No farrowing crates yet, just using Smidley farrowing huts.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Almost ready - 01/31/23 05:45 PM

Looks like a nice set up.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Almost ready - 02/01/23 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander
Very nice set up. How many sows do you have? Breed?

I have 2 farrowing in the next couple weeks and 2 more in a month. No farrowing crates yet, just using Smidley farrowing huts.

I have only 7 right now, not nearly enough to justify the money spent building this farrowing room. I have 6 crates on the left and 6 weaning pens on the right. Manure pits with pit scrapers and pit fans under both.

I would like to get back up to 10 or 12. Two of the ones I have now I cannot get to breed, can't even catch them in heat. I do pure bred Duroc along with cross breeds of several varieties. Mostly Hampshire crosses although I picked up a pure bred Yorkshire recently
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Almost ready - 02/02/23 04:31 PM

Do you sell feeders or do you finish them out yourself? If selling feeders what do you think they will sell for.

Im think I should buy some feeders and finish 6 to 8 of them. Start in late spring and will be ready to butcher early Nov. I like big hog 300 to 350 lbs. Fat equals flavor.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums