Home

Bolt .22 Offerings

Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 01:57 AM

Some of you may have saw my other thread where I'm looking for a bolt action .22 of high quality that can be passed down to my kids someday.

Went to town and if I go with a new gun I see three main offerings, please add if you know of one. If you have an opinion on one or all of these Ide like to hear it.

1) Bergara BMR. This comes in at $550, seems high quality. 20 inch barrel

2) CZ 457 American. $590. 24.8" barrel. I like the thought of the longer barrel and the traditional looks.

3) Tikka T1x. $650. 20" barrel, again seems high quality.

I'm assuming any of the three would be tack drivers, certainly good enough for 100 yard starling shots around the farm and squirrels.
Posted By: Osagian

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 01:59 AM

#2 CZ
I use to have 3 or those .22 CZ rifles. Down to 2 now. Good rifles. I've got at the least 50,000+ through one. Me and a buddy use to go to the range and shoot steel targets off hand for hours. Go through one of those 500 round boxs in a day. Rifle shoots as good as when it was new. Can;t wear them out.
American will be a scope only rifle. No iron sight capability.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 02:16 AM

Although I don't have one (yet), the CZ's always get my heart pumping. A good friend has a Tikka and swears by it.
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 02:17 AM

Cz
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 02:19 AM

Henry Rifles makes some very fine and accurate bolt action .22 and all American Made
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 02:51 AM

I wouldn't buy a plastic gun to become a "special" hand me down rifle. So CZ is the only choice if you're limiting us to those three choices.

What's wrong with a lever gun? Or even a super nice semi auto like a Browning? Is there some reason you have to hurry to buy it?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 03:01 AM

without telling you witch one , since I own none of the 3

if you want a 100 year 22lr that gets used a lot

you might want to see who will sell you a spare magazines , extractors ,firing pins , and springs.

call each manufacturer and ask about parts
Posted By: BRONZEBACK

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 03:01 AM

CZ of the the ones you mentioned but I have an Anschutz in 22 and 17 that are awesome. The CZ 22 I have is a very close second.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 03:33 AM

I have a couple of brand new in the box, unfired Marlin 25N's. That is as classic as they get. These even come with a scope included in the box. I could spare one if it is of interest.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I wouldn't buy a plastic gun to become a "special" hand me down rifle. So CZ is the only choice if you're limiting us to those three choices.

What's wrong with a lever gun? Or even a super nice semi auto like a Browning? Is there some reason you have to hurry to buy it?

Exactly. I wouldn't want to inherit an ugly plastic gun as a family heirloom.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by MikeTraps2
Henry Rifles makes some very fine and accurate bolt action .22 and all American Made

Do they? Not seeing any on their website other than a youth model synthetic.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
I have a couple of brand new in the box, unfired Marlin 25N's. That is as classic as they get. These even come with a scope included in the box. I could spare one if it is of interest.

Do they at least have the checkered stock?

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 04:23 AM

Anyone have a weatherby mark XXII bolt action? That's what I would really want but finding them seems difficult
Posted By: warrior

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 04:25 AM

If I were looking for a heirloom and willing to spend the coin it would be a Lithgow.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 04:29 AM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020475861?pid=353338 - That one the kids will want when you're done with it.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 04:31 AM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025199882?pid=369204 - That one may be to your liking.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
If I were looking for a heirloom and willing to spend the coin it would be a Lithgow.

He was great in 3rd Rock From the Sun

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 04:33 AM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023130090?pid=631523 - in stock soon.

Hope one of them options helps muddy the water for ya. lol
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 04:42 AM

I've got a couple cz's. 2 22's, 17 hmr and 204 ruger. These are fantastic guns. Beautiful wood, smooth actions and imo very accurate.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 04:54 AM

I gotta ask, why does a heirloom have to be super fancy and expensive?

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

Good question
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 05:08 AM

I'm not so sure it has to be any of those things. I've got a old cooey 22 that I learned how to shoot with as a youngster that was my dad's and it will be passed on down when the time comes along with his husqvarna 30-06 and Parker Hale 243. If I were to venture a guess I'd say the op is just starting a gun collection and would rather buy quality then quantity. Imo a heirloom firearm should have some history and experience. New guns just take a while longer to get the stories and tales but with use it will come.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 05:36 AM

He wants a nice gun to hand down and be used a lot by generations to come. A cheap gun ain't that. Sure I got a few sentimental guns passed down by my dad, brother etc... but they set in the safe and don't get used because I have better options. He wants one they will love to use as well as the sentimental value. At least that is what I gathered from his two threads on it.
Posted By: g smith

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 06:00 AM

T Bolt Browning
Posted By: Osagian

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 06:38 AM

On CZs.
25 years ago or so those became available here in SW Missouri, and they were relatively cheap. The dollar was strong and I guess Czechoslovakia's hyverna or kopek or whatever it is money was not, so they were a good deal.
Anyway, me and all my pals bought them. CZ Trainer, Varmint, American, Silhouette and the shorter youth model with the shorter barrel and stock. We bought them all between us. What we found out was that not one model shot any better than the other. They all shot very well. I ended up with 3 for my self and thought that was too many so I sold one.
One I didn't get but wish I would have was that shorter youth model. It was/is just as accurate as the others. The stock is maybe a bit too short for an adult. A buddy of mine that bought one said that for squirrel hunting that short stock paid off when shooting up into a tree on a squirrel. If I had it to over again and just wanting a hunting rifle I would buy the youth model and either make/fabricate a stock extension for it or maybe get a one of those drop fit Boyds or Richards Micro Fit stocks for it. And it has iron sights too so if your scope takes a dump you can take it off and still have iron sights.
American is sweet, I have one, but I wish it had iron sight on it. And for .22 ammo you only need 16" for the 22 round to be as fast as it's going to get. The round is just dieseling after that.
I'm going to bed.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 07:02 AM

CZ anything wasn't available in the US until the fall of the Iron curtain since they were on the other side. And when it did they were cheap because they were broke and the US dollar was the next best thing to gold.

I still kick myself for passing on a CZ-75 that I could've bought in West Germany for 200 brought home as a GI avoiding the 100% tax others were paying to bring them in from Canada and sold it for twice what I had in it.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 07:39 AM

Browni g T bol!t

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

He wants a nice gun to hand down and be used a lot by generations to come. A cheap gun ain't that. Sure I got a few sentimental guns passed down by my dad, brother etc... but they set in the safe and don't get used because I have better options. He wants one they will love to use as well as the sentimental value. At least that is what I gathered from his two threads on it.

This.

I appreciate everyone's post and especially 160s offer.

My dad has a 10/22, it's beat to, well it's beat up but its my dad's. Someday hopefully in the distant future I will likely inherit it and I hope to use it often. It's special to me because for the last 40+ years it was his and I remember him using it.

I have a beretta 391 and a weatherby mark v, these are my guns, I use them almost exclusively and I hold them both in high esteem. They aren't particularly fancy but they're mine and hopefully because of that and due to the build quality someday my kids and grandkids will want them.
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 12:29 PM

A good heirloom and a good hunting rife is the CZ with a Boyd adjustable Stock. Get the threaded barrel. I have an assortment of 22 lr and non are as accurate as the CZ.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 01:18 PM

True heirloom, how about one of these.

Remington nylon 12

[Linked Image]

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 01:21 PM

BTW, there was magazine fed version the model 11. And a lever action model 76.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 01:23 PM

Its to bad winchester and remington went tits up. Both have made some truly fine firearms. When I was a kid I didnt really know anybody with what we call a lot of guns today. Most families had 4-5 . A few had twice that. Cheap guns were what sold best. Remington started stamping parts and reduced their cost a bunch. Winchester had to do the same to compete. a look at the remington stock trigger on a 700 and it should not surprise anybody its prone to failure. Guns today have plastic stocks. Like the classic cars of the 50-60's I would be looking at something built in the days of craftmanship. I know plastic stocks are quality. They just got no heart.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 01:31 PM

Remington nylon 12

[Linked Image]

I admit I've never cared for these.

Someone previously mentioned they like shorter barrels in .22 from a performance standpoint, I can agree with that but I enjoy how quiet the long barrels are.

When it comes to accuracy can a older, high quality .22 keep up with the modern offerings?

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 01:32 PM

yes

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 01:41 PM

The Winchester 52 could. As well as the Anshutz. Remington had a few. CZ of all years held a good reputation even if fit and finish wasn't.

I've always liked the nylons though I must admit I'd probably stash it away for light use only as replacement parts are getting scarce.

I still regret letting one get away.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 01:43 PM

BTW, someone needs to bring back a modern remake of the nylon. Those things had an almost perfect form and function in a light 22.
Posted By: jtg

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 01:59 PM

Love that plastic gun have three.

Remington nylon 12

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 03:06 PM

CZ I had one of the trainers. I has great open sights and is able to mount a scope to. I gave it to my brother. I now have a 452 FS. Same great sights and a good scope. It shoots great. If I miss it is my fault. Get the Lux model if you want something a little fancier to hand down. I'm going to give my 452 to my boy. I'm sure it will outlast both of us. I shot two squirrels over 180 yards off with it one day. both head shots from and rest. I got an AHKA sling to fit the European sling mounts. It has rubber stitching on the bottom - won't slip off your shoulder. You'll have to find the right rings for it. I found a Meopta scope that had European rings with it that happened to fit it. This scope has a range finder in it that just happens to be the size of a squirrel so far shots are more fun. I also have a custom 527 in 19 Badger that is amazingly accurate. Good rifles.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 03:22 PM

an heirloom doesn't need to be fancy or expensive , well made is good

in my family the only gun was a M37 12ga , it was well used , it was grandpas only gun for 61 years it did everything needed at the farm if it was ideal or not.

my uncle has it now.

it didn't even have the original barrel a different uncle now passed borrowed it to go rabbit hunting when he was younger and got a muzzle full of snow and ruptured the end of the barrel and had to buy a replacement.

the best heirlooms are the ones you use that fit your need

if you want it to be an heirloom , keeping it serviceable a long time is necessary. quality can get you part way there but springs even quality have a life span.
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 03:56 PM

The Winchester 52 could. As well as the Anshutz. Remington had a few. CZ of all years held a good reputation even if fit and finish wasn't.

I've always liked the nylons though I must admit I'd probably stash it away for light use only as replacement parts are getting scarce.

I still regret letting one get away.

The 52 is hands down the greatest 22 of all time in imo.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 04:22 PM

I like the winchester 62. Pump action with an exposed hammer. The 63 semi is another fine well crafted rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 05:09 PM

find a lightly used remington 541S or 541T
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 05:55 PM

Yesterday you all had me buying cast iron skillets. Today it's rimfire rifles. Expensive place to hang out.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper5123
Yesterday you all had me buying cast iron skillets. Today it's rimfire rifles. Expensive place to hang out.

not so bad , you can buy lodge and with a bit of work have Griswold smooth cooking surface

likewise you could buy a 10/22 and a some spare guide rods , springs, extractors , trigger springs and parts and keep that running for a few lifetimes.

I live my Mossberg 44US-D but parts even of a very common military trainer built very well are getting harder to find so I take the antiques out to play on nice days for a little enjoyment and I grab a TOOL of a 22lr when there is work to be done.

go parts shopping for springs and firing pins when you look at old 22s , the death of them is in small parts availability not the quality of the machining or steel.

like Wolfdog's post , a million dollar piece of artillery down for lack of a guy to work on it or parts.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 07:57 PM

Christensen arms also seems to make a dandy .22 with a sub moa guarantee @50 yards. Parts availability for bergara and Christensen arms has me leaning towards the cz.

I may sell some stuff and see how much spare change I have before making the final decision. I have atleast 3 or 4 guns I have no desire to keep.

What is the best way to sell used guns? I used to do armslist but now you have to pay to use it.

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 09:18 PM

Are the Kimber or Cooper 22s still around?
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 09:24 PM

These may not be high-dollar "heirlooms" but might fill the bill for what you want for just plain shooting enjoyment . The top is a model 69 Winchester and the bottom is a model 511 Scoremaster Remington. While they are both vintage, they still shoot very well with the right ammo and can be found occasionally since they are not rare or very expensive either. They each have 25 inch barrels and therefore shoot sub sonic rounds very quietly.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 01/31/23 09:33 PM

Are the Kimber or Cooper 22s still around?

Cooper does for about 4k. Double the price of other high end .22s seems ridiculous
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 02/02/23 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
I shot two squirrels over 180 yards off with it one day. both head shots from and rest.
Sounds like something Joe Biden would come up with.
Posted By: MTHunter

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 02/02/23 05:45 PM

Lots of good ones listed.

I’m impressed with the balance of the Browning tbolt and want one.

Bought two CZ’s, lr and mag.

Been looking for a Rem 541t for a while too. I like the Win 62 also..

I’m still shooting an old Savage bolt 22 that I grew up with.

You will need a pistol too. The Browning Buckmark Camper is nice as is the Singlesix.
Posted By: Kelly

Re: Bolt .22 Offerings - 02/03/23 01:23 AM

Winchester model 61.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums