Home

Marten Box and Lure Suggestions?

Posted By: T36MDTrapper

Marten Box and Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 12:10 AM

Looking for some recommendations on Marten lure to be paired with beaver meat in a box set. In Maine we are required to use a lynx exclusion device which is essentially an over engineered box set with a maximum 4”x4” entrance. This year was my first season trapping marten in Maine. I used Cavens Tree Climber for the first half of the season and O’Gormans Mountain Marten for the second half. The second half of my season was more productive however I honestly believe that was due to colder weather not necessarily the lure. I’d prefer to find a commercially produced lure that I use on a consistent basis next year as I plan to make a run for my Maine marten limit. Also, if it matters, I’m game for catching fisher in the same sets should they pass through. Maine allows 25 Marten and 25 Fisher per season but marten appear to be more prevalent in the area I trap. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Jingles

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 12:12 AM

Caven's gusto works here in the west
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 12:31 AM

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on lure for marten. Most good formulations will be more than adequate if they are protected from weather. Other formulations are designed to be resistant to the extreme weather we get. But generally I think most would agree that marten are easy to lure to a set and catch.
This coming from a guy who traps marten and fisher in Maine and sells lure.
Covering a lot of ground with plenty of sets in good habitat will have the greatest impact in getting you toward your 25......just my opinion.
I'm sure a lot of others will respond, marten threads seem to get a lot of good input.
Jeremiah

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 12:34 AM

Awesome! Bought an ounce of it last season but didn’t use it. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion Jingles
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 12:38 AM

Marten magic

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 12:42 AM

Thanks for the reply Jeremiah. I’m a big fan of the trapping today podcast as well as your YouTube channel. Thank you for putting in the effort to produce that content. I know it’s not an easy task. I’m trapping in Northern Washington county which is closer to the south eastern boundary of traditional marten country but I was surprised with the amount of sign and success I had last season. I know you’re a lure maker and based on getting to know you through your YouTube channel and podcast I also know you’re too humble to encourage me to buy one of your own lures but I did intend to buy a trapping today lure for next season. Which would you recommend for strictly marten and fisher trapping?

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 12:44 AM

Thanks Keystonekiller!

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 12:46 AM

Haha thanks T36! Didn't want to plug my own lures on here but I sent you a PM.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 12:47 AM

Thanks Jeremiah
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 01:28 AM

Gusto works very well if you protect it from the weather. It doesn't handle moisture well. I didn't realize that was who jwood was, but I have used a homebrewed marten lure that is essentially his formula, with slight variations on different batches, and been very happy with it. If I was buying marten lure I would go with gusto or jwoods marten lure. The grease base (I've used vaseline with equally good results) will hold up to a lot more precipitation than Gusto. Also if Gusto is opened one year and held over to the next it loses a lot of its loud skunkiness, actually becomes a decent canine lure then, and will still work on marten and fisher but doesn't have the reach that it does new. Not hard to add a bit of skunk essence to "refresh" it, though.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 01:35 AM

Thanks Bearcat2! I’ll give that gusto a try too. It’ll be a year old by then but it is what it is. You mentioned protecting the lure from the weather. This year I put my lure inside the box to keep it out of the rain. I typically find a stick and swab a cranberry size scoop with it. I’ve considered smearing the lure in a tree above the box as high as possible to get the scent to travel further but I haven’t yet.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 01:41 AM

Also something to consider.....I think a loud skunky lure inside the box can actually deter a marten/fisher, as it is can be overpowering. I always try to place a skunky lure above the set, outside of the box. The purpose of the call lure is to get the animal to the vicinity of your set, and then the bait (or a milder lure near the bait) can do its job. I think a skunky lure can work well right on the bait if it's super cold, but not in most conditions.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 01:42 AM

Ah great point. I’ve wondered about this before. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 01:46 AM

I use a skunky lure OUTSIDE the box. Inside I have had great luck with a variety of different things such as Backbreaker, Caven's Shellfish oil and even just soaking my Beaver bait in Anise oil.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 01:53 AM

Thanks 160user! Outside the box for sure next season!
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 01:55 AM

I have used both a sweet, raspberry based, and skunky lure for both marten and fisher in cold climate conditions. Based on my experience it's my opinion the sweet lure is more effective, for both species, than the skunky lure except maybe in extreme cold conditions.
If you’re on location within suitable habitat, for the target species, there is no need for a strong lure as long as the lure is placed outside the box in a protected location.

A Good Homemade Marten/Fisher Lure:
Raspberry jam, beaver castor, anise seed oil and alcohol or glycerol for anti-freeze.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 01:58 AM

Here’s an idea of the box required by Maine law. Hard to believe a fisher will drive it’s head through a 4” hole, wiggle down 19” of 6x6 box then push its head through a Belisle trigger for a chunk of beaver meat but they do from time to time. Hungry I suppose. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 02:00 AM

Thanks bctomcat! I’ll give that a try as well. I’ve wanted to try a sweet lure in the early season.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 02:07 AM

If youre trapping early season(late fall,early winter) its hard to beat sardines.
You can eat a few too when luchtime rolls around.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 02:18 AM

Thanks Boco! The season runs November 1st to December 31st here. The weather has been off the past couple of years with warm weather in November. It gets below freezing plenty in November but lately we’ve seen frequent weather in the 50s and 60s.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 02:32 AM

I’ve done well with sweet lure in years of a big blueberry crop and otherwise most any lure works. Only bait I use is b’ver. They really have a good nose and will usually find it.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 02:38 AM

Thanks 3 Fingers! There’s a bunch of blueberries in the area I trap. Great intel!
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 04:23 AM

Peanut butter in the box, skunks outside. Good change up Marten love peanut butter. grin
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 04:25 AM

This is what works for me in Northern Maine. Every box gets the same treatment. #1 Jeremiah's LDC over the box & the lure stick from applying the skunk goes on the front of the box. #2. a chunk of beaver for bait. I start with fresh and end up with stinky. Not by choice but fresh gets stinky laying around my shed. #3. TWO lures in the box. I don't really care what the lures are. Within a week at least 50% of the skunk sticks on the box will be gone. Who knows where they went???

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 05:51 PM

[quote=T36MDTrapper] Hard to believe a fisher will drive it’s head through a 4” hole.[quote] This box had a 3 inch hole:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/07/23 08:23 PM

A fox can go thru a 2 1/2 inch hole.
Like a lot of other predators,they are limited only by the distance between the zygomatic arches of their skulls.
Lots of inexperienced snaremen make their loops too big.
Posted By: Nunyacreek

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/08/23 02:30 AM

I used to use Hellfire but ran out and have been using Gusto. For whatever reason I think hellfire worked better for me but it’s extremely unlikely I can actually isolate the factors and attribute that to the lure. Rich Mellon of Trapping Inc has a podcast where he details exactly how makes his marten lure. I ordered the ingredient s and am just waiting to trap a skunk to give it a try.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/08/23 07:11 AM

How does the state keep fox and coyote trappers from catching lynx?
Posted By: Mac

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/08/23 11:54 AM

Lots of good information in this thread.
J. Wood wrote:

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Wood
Also something to consider.....I think a loud skunky lure inside the box can actually deter a marten/fisher, as it is can be overpowering. I always try to place a skunky lure above the set, outside of the box. The purpose of the call lure is to get the animal to the vicinity of your set, and then the bait (or a milder lure near the bait) can do its job. I think a skunky lure can work well right on the bait if it's super cold, but not in most conditions.

I have had this philosophy for over 40 years but this is the first time I have heard anyone else say or write this. Good observation Jeremiah Wood.

Mac
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/08/23 12:14 PM

Most guys put their lure high, mainly because they dont want to brush up against it and bring it back on their jackets,

As for someone who has trained dogs.... the best lure placement is low to the ground.
Think for a minute, can a dog find a grouse in a tree= no
but one on the ground= yes
because scent travels around the ground and is picked up by hunters

Moist conditions of your season are sure hard to work with, vs the dry prairies we have

I've gone skunky free for several years and my wife loves it, ever thought in giving that a try ?
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/08/23 12:41 PM

The low lure makes sense. I used a dip stick to freshen up the bait and usually stuck it in the snow close by.
Nothing I’ve tried worked, but if they’re not in the area there’s nothing to trap. I think the patchy logging last winter pushed them deeper in. There was a fisher hanging around gut piles but it disappeared during the general deer season.
We brought an old friend out to the shack for the weekend. Somehow my bud managed to get wolf pee in one boot and skunky marten lure in the other on the last day. They guys gotta learn how to shower anyway…lol
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/08/23 03:15 PM

Marten magic by Barnes lures is excellent used above the set and inside the box is beaver meat.It has a white pertol jelly base so it stands up well in rain,sleet,snow or whatever
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/08/23 03:21 PM

half and half castor and otter gland, a little glycerine to antifreeze it a bit, add fresh skunk quill when your ready to put the line out. i put a dab on top the 120 box

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/08/23 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Most guys put their lure high, mainly because they dont want to brush up against it and bring it back on their jackets,

As for someone who has trained dogs.... the best lure placement is low to the ground.

Moist conditions of your season are sure hard to work with, vs the dry prairies we have

I've gone skunky free for several years and my wife loves it, ever thought in giving that a try ?

This is correct for lure placement.
About a foot off the ground,right at the tree where the set is made.
And a trailing scent from the base of the tree to the box when placing and refreshing bait.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/08/23 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Northof50

This is correct for lure placement.
About a foot off the ground,right at the tree where the set is made.
And a trailing scent from the base of the tree to the box when placing and refreshing bait.

You guys clearly don’t sit in treestands and hunt deer.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/08/23 06:01 PM

I like my lure placed 3-4 ft above the ground in a weather protected location near the set. For tree/leaning pole marten/fisher sets I also rub the bait on the base of the tree or pole.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/09/23 03:20 PM

That’s wild! Thanks for sharing bctomcat. Thank you all for your recommendations and input. I appreciate it.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/09/23 03:25 PM

Box making day for me. Working on a few variations and experimenting with cost reductions. Looking at about $23 a box right now. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/09/23 03:40 PM

[Linked Image]

My boxes were on poles to keep the snow from burying them. So the lure was up in the air a bit by placing it ontop the box. Had hailscreen closing off the back so marten coming down the tree and pole had to still cross the trap to get the bait
Posted By: martenpine

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/09/23 03:58 PM

Skunk junk or (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) fire

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/09/23 06:03 PM

Thanks martenpine!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/09/23 10:46 PM

Fuller Laugeman's "Sable Oil", now being made and sold by J&M Furs in Montana. When J&M took over Fuller's lure manufacturing they didn't have the formulation quite the same as Fuller's. However, I have recently purchased some of their Sable Oil and it appears to be just about exactly like the original. It's not a skunky lure but contains marten glands, Tonquin musk among other things.

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/10/23 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by T36MDTrapper
Box making day for me. Working on a few variations and experimenting with cost reductions. Looking at about $23 a box right now.

I have not made any boxes for a few years. My cost was under $10 each. I'll post some photos of the design I use. Side view. rear view. front view, top then bottom view.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/10/23 02:23 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mttrapperguy

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/10/23 02:36 AM

Fish oil is my go to lure. Make it in the summer

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/10/23 02:40 AM

JP it is true: Boco and I dont spend 100+ days in the tree stand each year like you do

but have spent a wee pit of time up there and watched as a close dog tried to hunt me down as he followed my trail to the location. For 5 minutes the dog ran back and forth picking up my trail and returning, and not once did it look -up the 10 feet that I was at. Over several years watched this play out.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/10/23 03:06 AM

Marten smell bait stored up high

Attached picture 427A1D03-D945-44E0-AA2C-63C613F0B0E1.jpeg

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/10/23 04:02 AM

Wow what a purple martin house you have there 3 fingers. they must fly up there and avoid the tin bear screen

Eb to cut down cost on hinges I have used road killed load binders truckers straps 4"; cut in sections

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/10/23 12:42 PM

That’s an interesting design, ebsurveyor. I assume it’s designed with the Maine criteria in mind? I’d never thought of making a one piece box. I’ve made 12 of the design I posted above. The costs are roughly $17 each for the pine boards, $5 for the 3” strap hinges, $1 each for the 16 gauge 1x1 metal fencing, and another $1 for misc screws and staples. $24 and about 45 minutes each at a beer drinking pace. Someone with better equipment and skills could probably crank one out in a half hour. I mention cost but it doesn’t really bother me too much. Just a kick in the gut to build 48 of them. After this year it should just be repairs and an occasional replacement. I’d like to get 10 years out of a box. Not sure if that’s possible but I take good care of stuff and will store them inside off season

Re: Marten Lure Suggestions? - 02/10/23 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by T36MDTrapper
That’s an interesting design, ebsurveyor. I assume it’s designed with the Maine criteria in mind? I’d never thought of making a one piece box. I’ve made 12 of the design I posted above. The costs are roughly $17 each for the pine boards, $5 for the 3” strap hinges, $1 each for the 16 gauge 1x1 metal fencing, and another $1 for misc screws and staples. $24 and about 45 minutes each at a beer drinking pace. Someone with better equipment and skills could probably crank one out in a half hour. I mention cost but it doesn’t really bother me too much. Just a kick in the gut to build 48 of them. After this year it should just be repairs and an occasional replacement. I’d like to get 10 years out of a box. Not sure if that’s possible but I take good care of stuff and will store them inside off season

My boxes are for use in Maine.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums