Home

660 “superbear”

Posted By: Twenty-fiveYard

660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 02:49 AM

Anyone got much experience with the “660 SuperBear”? Looks pretty good for a wide run.
Posted By: 160user

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 03:18 AM

I use the MB 1216's and I love them.
Posted By: Boco

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 03:29 AM

Never could figure out why someone would put one trap where you can put two.

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Great point, Boco. As usual.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 03:49 AM

I have Several 660 Belisles's.
And they are. Handy and fun to use.

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 03:53 AM

[Linked Image]

* chicken coop/ winter paint booth

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 03:57 AM

[Linked Image]

Going to field test some this week. Should work nicely I think on the outside edge of this log. Snapped this one last night with a Belisle 330. Causing all kinds of havoc on the river bank.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 10:58 AM

What he said ^^^^^. Boco, they prolly set one "big" trap for a pair of coyotes also wink
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 12:26 PM

I like the 660 for those wide runs that require the wider trap that causes the least visual obstruction possible. While I could use 2 330's, when a catch occurs both traps always seem to be set off so I like having to reset one trap with bracing, etc. rather than 2.

The 660's seem to be very fast, strong traps and the added diameter/weight of the added crossbar seems to accelerate the closure.

I like to have as many options for as many situations as I can.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 02:20 PM

. Moose Trot you nailed it. I really like using the 12/16 for Caster Mound sets for the same reason you mentioned with less visual obstacles when set half submerged. I usually use them in conjunction with a stabilizer made specifically for that size trap made by MTP.

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
I like the 660 for those wide runs that require the wider trap that causes the least visual obstruction possible. While I could use 2 330's, when a catch occurs both traps always seem to be set off so I like having to reset one trap with bracing, etc. rather than 2.

The 660's seem to be very fast, strong traps and the added diameter/weight of the added crossbar seems to accelerate the closure.

Moosetrot

If your side by side traps are set off with one catch you dont know how to set them

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 10:00 PM

Moosetrot

If your side by side traps are set off with one catch you dont know how to set them
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 10:28 PM

I have 2 1022s and a 1216 and they do come in handy.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 10:30 PM

Moosetrot

Hey Moose thems look like fighten words-lol
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/07/23 11:23 PM

Got several and use them offen.
Really like them.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 12:14 AM

I used for areas of high pressured beavers. It would cover pinch points in small streams. With the edge of the trap against the bank on each side the bev's saw a large area to swim through under the dive stick.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 12:30 AM

One more tool in the box is a good thing IMO. Got a friend using the 1216 for wolverine and he sees less refusals

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 12:46 AM

3 traps side by side in a run
[Linked Image]

One check-3 beaver.
[Linked Image]

I want as many traps in a run as I can fit.

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 01:50 AM

Well, Boco, while I usually enjoy and learn from your posts, this time I have to say you are wrong...actually twice, with the twin posts in your zeal and rush to point out your belief that I don't know how to set 330's properly.

It is very apparent you don't know a whole lot about the situation I trap in. Most of my use of the 660's is in what is sometimes described as "bottomless" loon crap in open water where stabilizing one, much less two of them side by side, is dang near impossible. A catch in one causes enough disruption in the black Jello I trap in that the other trap, if set in an honest side by side pattern, is going to go off or be tipped. Why fill such a run with 2 poorly stabilized traps that block clear passage when it can be done effectively with one 660?

Under ice trapping is a vastly different situation and I generally change tactics then. I usually don't even use the 660 through the ice unless I find myself in a situation that calls for it.

"If your side by side traps are set off with one catch you dont know how to set them" Hmmm...As someone once said "If only you were correct, I would agree with you."

Respectfully,

Moosetrot

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 02:50 AM

Truth^^^

I also use them Vertically with deep channel 660 stands I weld.

As seen in the Water Trapping Archives
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5470543#Post5470543

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 03:02 AM

Never heard of block sticks I guess.
We set multiples in open water in Loon poo and dam breaks.Use tee pees instead of superstands to set the loon poo -no problem use a couple block sticks so your other traps will be working after a catch.
Black muck is about 90% of my northern line,lol.

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 03:20 AM

Given the kind of stuff and conditions I trap in...never could figure out why someone would put two traps where you can put one.

And if someone's techniques are simply different than mine I would not say something like "you just don't know how to set them."

Nuff said.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 03:26 AM

Amen!
Posted By: JoeMeek1840

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 04:08 AM

3 traps side by side in a run
[Linked Image]

One check-3 beaver.
[Linked Image]

I want as many traps in a run as I can fit.

We all don't trap under the ice though

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 04:09 AM

Given the kind of stuff and conditions I trap in...never could figure out why someone would put two traps where you can put one.

And if someone's techniques are simply different than mine I would not say something like "you just don't know how to set them."

Nuff said.

Moosetrot

I agree

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 04:33 AM

Nuff said.

Moosetrot

Your the one that said when you set multiples that your traps get fouled-you dont know how to set them correctly with block sticks obviously.
You dont have to set multiples under ice.If you know what your doing you can set them year round,have been for 30 odd years.

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 01:17 PM

Information, not emotion gentlemen.

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Twenty-fiveYard

Exactly keep it Constructive not destructive

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 02:00 PM

[Linked Image]
Horizontal
[Linked Image]
From the Water Trapping Archives "Deep channeling 660's"
[Linked Image]

Sometimes solving ADC problems IS the Trappers Job

Keep innovating - Scott

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 04:22 PM

My bad,just trying to help with some solid information,no emotion whatsoever.
I wont bother from now on.

Re: 660 “superbear” - 02/08/23 05:53 PM

My bad,just trying to help with some solid information,no emotion whatsoever.
I wont bother from now on.

You are fine. Emotions can't be perceived through text
© 2024 Trapperman Forums