Home

Tractor Tire Ballast?

Posted By: Eagleye

Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 12:15 PM

What should I be thinking about for counterbalance for loader work with a compact tractor for safety?
Loader handles about 1,200 lbs.
Is filling the tires with beet juice or bio-ballast better or worse than 3-pt suitcase weights?
Posted By: Guss

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 12:27 PM

My tractor back tires are filled with beet juice and I think it make a difference . The tractor weigh 6300lbs.
Posted By: Orlando

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 12:37 PM

I have fluid in the rear tires. This works most of the time for me. However, when doing heavy loader work, weight on the 3-point is very important. I usually have on a box blade, mower, or tiller...depending on what I used last or might need to use next. My tractor weighs about 10,000 with loader.
My prior tractor was smaller, likely similar to yours and I had to have weight on the 3-point for ballast for loader work, not only for stability, but to take weight off the front axle, and to add overall weight for traction. I prefer to have both the beet juice and counter weights. You may not want to add juice if the tractor will be used in yards as it would be more likely to leave ruts.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 12:50 PM

We still use calcium chloride. You must put tubes in your tires. We fill with 1/3 calcium chloride and 2/3 water

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
We still use calcium chloride. You must put tubes in your tires. We fill with 1/3 calcium chloride and 2/3 water

I would think it would trash the rims without a tube - I assumed beet juice would require tubing also.
Posted By: DRF

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 01:07 PM

Nothing more alarming then feeling the rear end get light lol.
Posted By: kiyote

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 01:10 PM

Beet Juice does not require tubes.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 01:10 PM

A friend with a hobby tractor has a 3 point fork on the back. Has a wood crate (40x48 pallet with sides) filled with big field stones that he uses for ballast when doing loader work.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 01:21 PM

Do you have on option for wheel weights? The type that bolt to the rim, I’ve got 3 sets on mine and it’s about right.

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
A friend with a hobby tractor has a 3 point fork on the back. Has a wood crate (40x48 pallet with sides) filled with big field stones that he uses for ballast when doing loader work.

Originally Posted by Orlando
I have fluid in the rear tires. This works most of the time for me. However, when doing heavy loader work, weight on the 3-point is very important. I usually have on a box blade, mower, or tiller...depending on what I used last or might need to use next. My tractor weighs about 10,000 with loader.
My prior tractor was smaller, likely similar to yours and I had to have weight on the 3-point for ballast for loader work, not only for stability, but to take weight off the front axle, and to add overall weight for traction. I prefer to have both the beet juice and counter weights. You may not want to add juice if the tractor will be used in yards as it would be more likely to leave ruts.

Good thoughts - I see the tiller and/or brush hog weigh about 400lbs. Brush hog might be more cumbersome in tighter conditions, but tiller is a good weight option in addition to tire ballast until I contrive something else.

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by arcticotter
Do you have on option for wheel weights? The type that bolt to the rim, I’ve got 3 sets on mine and it’s about right.

I didn't see that as an option- I will definitely ask- can't imagine they wouldn't.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 01:47 PM

We put 2 sets of weights on each side on the back of dads 45 hp tractor. If lifting very much weight though we try to put a big bale on the back. I’m hoping to make a 3 point weight for it because some times that big bale can get in the way
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 02:28 PM

One of the key benefits to having any kind of fluid in the tires over three point hitch ballast is that it gives you extra weight without putting weight on the tractor itself. Meaning the weight IN the tires is sitting directly on the ground and is therefore putting much less stress on the tractor. It's not wearing the joints on your 3 point arms or putting all that weight on top of axels to wear on them.
Posted By: Half ton

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dana I
One of the key benefits to having any kind of fluid in the tires over three point hitch ballast is that it gives you extra weight without putting weight on the tractor itself. Meaning the weight IN the tires is sitting directly on the ground and is therefore putting much less stress on the tractor. It's not wearing the joints on your 3 point arms or putting all that weight on top of axels to wear on them.

X2
along with putting less stress on your hydraulic system while you're moving across the ground

Russ
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 03:02 PM

Have two tractors. One is 60's era utility that lost the rear rims (both of them) when it was allowed to sit with calcium in tires, and tire stems down. They leaked and rims rusted out. Had to be replaced. It also had pie shaped bolt on wheel weights. When the "vintage" experts see the tractor, they always comment on wheel weights. They considerable value to those guys. When rims were replaced, wheel weights is all it got. No heavy front or rear loads. It needs something. Hooked up a small 5 foot chisel plow to do the garden and she had power to spare, but wheels were spinning out.

Other tractor also had calcium in tires, also had tire stems and rims rusting out. Replaced with "methanol", which is what local farm tire shop uses now. Basically, windshield washer fluid. Water would work, but not if you live in a climate where it can freeze.
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 03:45 PM

We had a JD 301-A loader at work with calcium chloride in rear tires.
Never had any problems.
Posted By: Orlando

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 04:50 PM

3-Point ballast does add stress to the 3-point arms, hydraulics, and rear axle. However, it also acts as a lever which reduces stress and wear on the front axle components. The same amount of weight on 3-point as compared to fluid in tires will actually put more weight to the ground on the rear tires due to leverage.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 05:28 PM

55 gallon drum with a crossbar through it filled with concrete on the 3 point hitch
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 06:24 PM

Beet juice?, never heard tell. Seen enough damage from calcium C to stay away from it.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 06:43 PM

I have a 4230 and when I bought it there was fluid in the tires, when we drained the fluid and put new tubes in the tires I spent a while on a grinder and wire brush cleaning up the rims. I’ll never deal with fluid again in future tractors, just wheel weights for me
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 06:47 PM

Ballast for loader work is just about a must have.
The question is what kind of ballast?

If your going to do any turf work or work in the woods you may not want to have your tires loaded.
These are times that soil compaction and tearing up the ground maybe a concern.

I have a 40 gallon garbage plastic garbage can that I filled with concrete that I can take on and off my 3 pt hitch when I want.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
Beet juice?, never heard tell. Seen enough damage from calcium C to stay away from it.

Byproduct of processing sugar beets. The problem with liquid ballast is two fold, freeze proof and heavier than water alone. Beet juice contains enough residual sugars to meet both issues.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 07:14 PM

I used windshield washer fluid.
Posted By: Scott T

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 08:11 PM

[Linked Image]
And 80# of windshield washer fluid in each tire. I like the fluid even without the loader because it lowers your center of gravity. Makes it a lot more stable on the hills when mowing.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by Diggerman

Byproduct of processing sugar beets. The problem with liquid ballast is two fold, freeze proof and heavier than water alone. Beet juice contains enough residual sugars to meet both issues.

they treat roads in winter with it here
Posted By: Squash

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 10:47 PM

Liquid ballast in the tires is great until you have a flat tire.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/07/23 11:50 PM

You can use the non toxic antifreeze water mix.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/08/23 12:55 AM

Tire and rim ballast does not add to axle load
Posted By: cotton

Re: Tractor Tire Ballast? - 02/08/23 02:16 AM

Water and alcohol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums